Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What petty hill are you willing to die on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:45 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It means "may I borrow your pen" (of whatever kind).

huhhh? Why did they say hold? Where did you go to school? And when I was in school an ink pen was very distinct from a biro (ballpoint) pen. You had to insert ink cartridges. Before ink cartridges people had fountain pens, which you filled from an ink jar but although our desks had inkjar holders, no one still used those.

Oh, those cartridges! I think I came home everyday covered in blue ink.

Squishy, by instead of at is from the yiddish.

Fox

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Gotta wonder if Scottish men want a LV sporran, and if they're available used.

zaq wrote:
The Scots are (in)famously frugal. Considering the purchase of even a secondhand LV item would give them heart palpitations.

Nae worry yer pretty heads, me lovely lassies!

(Though I notice that the Pochette Sherwood, as it was called, has been discontinued and it hasn't held its value very well.)

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 4:31 pm
Raisin wrote:

Squishy, by instead of at is from the yiddish.

That's perfect when speaking Yiddish. It sounds ignorant when conversing in English.

simcha2

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 4:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
I cringe when people say "by"instead of "at". They will say that they ate by their mother's house instead of at their mother's house

We may not see eye to eye on anything political, but on this issue, I agree with you 100%!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 4:47 pm
Fox wrote:
Nae worry yer pretty heads, me lovely lassies!

(Though I notice that the Pochette Sherwood, as it was called, has been discontinued and it hasn't held its value very well.)

You have rendered me speechless.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 5:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It means "may I borrow your pen" (of whatever kind).

As a nurse, my answer to this will always be no. Especially if you are a doctor.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 5:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
I cringe when people say "by"instead of "at". They will say that they ate by their mother's house instead of at their mother's house

They ate sitting on the lawn nearby. They enjoy being by their mother, just not too close. LOL

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 5:17 pm
Iymnok wrote:
They ate sitting on the lawn nearby. They enjoy being by their mother, just not too close. LOL

LOL

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 6:03 pm
"This is a tangent". I think you mean "going off on a tangent". Smile

boat

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 6:04 pm
Raisin wrote:
people who say "I should of" instead of "I should have". All grammar mistakes irk me but that one in particular...

How do you know these people are not saying *I should've*?

giselle

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 6:27 pm
gingertop wrote:
Another thing that drives me mad is when people say "I could care less". Argh. If you could care less, that means that you care, that you are not completely indifferent. It's I COULDN'T care less. The caring is at zero, it can't go beneath that.

Yessssss!

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:27 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
The queen not only drives (and apparently loves doing so), she also rides horses and owns multiple dogs.

I hear she loves to tear around her estates on a Land Rover. IIRC she was a mechanic and truck driver during WWII.

So much for “the queen doesn’t drive”.

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:58 pm
eKspecially

Rolling Eyes

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:15 pm
Don’t even get me started, however I’d really like to use this on my fb. I’m not on twitter so it’s fresh territory

penguin

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:53 pm
Fif-DEE. Six-DEE. Seven-DEE. (Not as commonly for-DEE. Or Eight-DEE which evidently does have a T.)

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:39 pm
boat wrote:
How do you know these people are not saying *I should've*?

Sorry I meant to say when they write should of. I see it so often!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:44 pm
When people say "you have two choices" but actually they mean two options.

But really, all grammatical mistakes, especially the very basic ones. Like woman and women. Many people say these incorrectly as well as using incorrectly when writing.

When people talk, I edit them in my head (and try very hard to keep it in my head!).

r1

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 11:15 pm
jerusalem90 wrote:
I read this advice a long time ago, follow it myself, and when I notice other people not following it, it annoys me:

If someone is inconvienced by helping you, don't say "I'm so sorry for being such a bother", say "Thank you so much! You went above and beyond!" It makes both them and you feel better.

While I don’t find it annoying when others don’t do it. I do like replacing or adding “thanks for being patient with me) to all of my “sorry”s. It sets a much more positive and constructive tone to the convo

gamanit

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 2:57 am
oliveoil wrote:

But really, all grammatical mistakes, especially the very basic ones. Like woman and women. Many people say these incorrectly as well as using incorrectly when writing.

When people talk, I edit them in my head (and try very hard to keep it in my head!).

https://painintheenglish.com/case/5198

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 8:34 am
oliveoil wrote:

You reminded me of another one. When people use "ladies" instead of women when its entirely not appropriate. Eg mens swimming hours at 10am. Ladies swimming hours at 12pm.

I am a woman not a character from an oscar wilde play.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics