Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working while sick

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:41 pm
Would you go to work (out of the home) while you are sick if you are feeling well enough to work? Does it make a difference if it is a bad cold vs strept throat before the antibiotics kick in? Is there a difference if you work in an adult environment or with kids?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:47 pm
Please stay home if you are contagious. Your work is important, but we'd rather you stay home and recover than coming to work and getting the entire team sick.
Signed, manager at large firm (adults)

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Please stay home if you are contagious. Your work is important, but we'd rather you stay home and recover than coming to work and getting the entire team sick.

Do you offer paid sick days? Cuz most people don't work for fun.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
Do you offer paid sick days? Cuz most people don't work for fun.

We offer PTO which is a combination of paid sick days and vacation days. We also offer work from home options.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:18 pm
Everyone defines 'sick' differently. I always work though colds but stay home if I have a fever. I work in a children's hospital where my coworkers and patients are exposed to a lot worse than my cold (and there are always isolation masks! 😉)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:41 pm
I really did not appreciate coworkers who came to work still contagious. A minor cold did not bother me. But something like the flu , Strep, or a stomache bug (we all share the same bathroom) etc. is not considerate to share with your coworkers.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:42 pm
If you don't give your body a chance to heal, it will take longer for you to feel better.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:56 pm
I’m lucky to be able to work remotely. I avoid people when I’m contagious.

When flu has been bad in our area I’ve heard of employers giving people extra pTO to stay home.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:

It is good you have this point of view. Unfortunately, my boss wants me there no matter what and is ready to fire ppl for too many days even with medical notes. I did go to work with strep and just "pumped myself with tylenol.." for those 3 days. Nobody at work noticed as I pushed myself and continued with work as usual. It is very hard for me. I did not do it for the money but to keep my job as attendance is one of the main factors to my bosses for job "security". Most jobs need ppl. coming in and could not care less if that person is feeling sick especially since usually the worker is not near the boss, so the bosses may be protected"".

But, Guess what?? I caught it from someonelse who came to work sick. So, the wheel goes round and round. In this world we live in, adults go to work sick and kids go to school sick or ppl/ kids can catch sickness on bus/train...there is really no way to avoid catching these sicknesses unless ppl have better immune systems which more sleep is needed but for me, I don't get enough sleep and also, others dont but this is the way of the world.

heidi

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:14 am
Where do you work, the KGB??
If you are sick do not go to work, go to the doctor and get verification of what you are sick with. If you are fired for being sick sue him.
I feel so lucky to live in Israel where you get sick days, sick child days and even sick parent and spouse days. IyH I will never need to use them but it's good to know that they are available.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics