Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Employment - EMT who wants to wear a skirt at work, NY Metro
1  2  Next

preempservices

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:36 pm
Pants underneath are an option. Anyone know of anyplace that allows?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:38 pm
Are they allowed to discriminate ?

preempservices

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:50 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Are they allowed to discriminate ?

They claim it will affect performance and safety. I would be hard to prove otherwise.

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:53 pm
preempservices wrote:
Pants underneath are an option. Anyone know of anyplace that allows?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....-own/

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:56 pm
I think they claim it’s a hazard with voluminous skirt getting caught in equipment and vehicle doors and narrow skirt interfering with movement. But maybe someone will sue and they’ll change. Ezras Nashim all wear skirts and so far it hasn’t hindered them.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:15 pm
Actually, someone is suing them. It was in the papers not long ago.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:31 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Actually, someone is suing them. It was in the papers not long ago.

Suing Ezras nashim for requiring skirts?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:45 pm
no some hospital system for requiring pants.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:23 pm
zaq wrote:
I think they claim it’s a hazard with voluminous skirt getting caught in equipment and vehicle doors and narrow skirt interfering with movement. But maybe someone will sue and they’ll change. Ezras Nashim all wear skirts and so far it hasn’t hindered them.

They're right. When every second matters, you don't have the extra second needed to tuck away your full skirt. Nor can you quickly climb stairs, break into a full stride run or jump onto a gurney to do CPR with a narrow skirt.

Perhaps a mini skirt can work.

There's a time and a place when we need to assert ourselves and request accommodations. When people's lives are in the balance, it's not one of the times to do that.

Signed,
A medical professional

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
They're right. When every second matters, you don't have the extra second needed to tuck away your full skirt. Nor can you quickly climb stairs, break into a full stride run or jump onto a gurney to do CPR with a narrow skirt.

There's a time and a place when we need to assert ourselves and request accommodations. When people's live are in the balance, it's not one of the times to do that.

Signed,
A medical professional

ITA

A skirt is not suitable for every situation.

I love skiing. Skirts don't belong on high speed chairlifts. I saw a young woman get her skirt caught on a chairlift and got injured. She got dragged trying to get off.

honeygold

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 9:06 pm
I don't know about if a skirt would affect an EMTs ability to perform her job, but I am a nurse on a very busy step down ICU unit and I only wear scrubs skirts. They are short and flairy and provide adequate ease of movement. Here is a link to the skirt I wear.
http://www.uniformadvantage.co.....turqu

tigerwife

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:

There's a time and a place when we need to assert ourselves and request accommodations. When people's lives are in the balance, it's not one of the times to do that.

Signed,
A medical professional

Honestly, I never wear skirts so full that they need to be “tucked away”, perhaps except evening wear. Besides for some tailored pencil skirts, my regular skirts do not really restrict my movement...

My post is not meant to be judgmental (I know frum RW women who have gotten a psak to wear pant scrubs at their jobs ie in the OR); however, I always wonder why it is so strictly enforced in some places to disallow skirts entirely, even over scrubs.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:07 pm
Ezras Nashim.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 2:16 am
A midi A-line or flared skirt of stretchy fabric would give enough space to move and not have too much fabric that it hinders in any way. I find that these styles are great as a mother!

I’d love to have the linked skirt for everyday wear.
Whoever is calling skirts flowery or too narrow doesn’t have much interaction with skirts. That description applies to only a few of mine.

preempservices

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
Ezras Nashim.

I believe they are volunteer only. And she does not live in Brooklyn. Thank you for the suggestion

heidi

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 3:09 pm
So funny, just today I recalled something that happened over 30 years ago
I did an EMT course and applied to work in a NY ambulance. One of the job requirements was to wear pants.
As I had no intention of making this a career and was only looking to do some volunteer work I didn't ask a shaila or push it, I just decided not take the job.
I agree that you need to wear pants to do the job effectively

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 3:10 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Honestly, I never wear skirts so full that they need to be “tucked away”, perhaps except evening wear. Besides for some tailored pencil skirts, my regular skirts do not really restrict my movement...

My post is not meant to be judgmental (I know frum RW women who have gotten a psak to wear pant scrubs at their jobs ie in the OR); however, I always wonder why it is so strictly enforced in some places to disallow skirts entirely, even over scrubs.

Because if you're working as an EMT or an emergency responder, skirts interfere besides for restricting movement. Picture yourself have to jump onto a gurney, bending over patients, getting into other compromising positions, and so on. If your skirts are knee length or shorter, you'll hesitate (because your a** is now up for a clear viewing). If your skirts are longer, then they do interfere with movement, even if they're not that full.

People are working with you, reaching over you, bending under you, reaching around you, etc. Full skirts, even the ones that are not so full interfere, they can snag, get caught in the equipment and tubing, and more.

If you work on regular floors, then most hospitals do allow you to wear skirts. In life and death situations when every second matters, accommodations shouldn't be made. Even if it would affect only 1/1000 patients, the risk is still unacceptable. It should be the EMTs who make the accommodations. As you've mentioned, frum RW women have gotten a psak to wear scrubs in these type of situations. The frum women should accommodate a life & death situation and put their own personal discomfort aside (with a psak of course).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:30 pm
honeygold wrote:
I don't know about if a skirt would affect an EMTs ability to perform her job, but I am a nurse on a very busy step down ICU unit and I only wear scrubs skirts. They are short and flairy and provide adequate ease of movement. Here is a link to the skirt I wear.
http://www.uniformadvantage.co.....turqu

Whats the length of this? does it adequately cover knees?

honeygold

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
Whats the length of this? does it adequately cover knees?

It comes over my knees, not an issue with tznius.

InnerMe

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 11:21 am
I found this interesting thread:
https://emtlife.com/threads/wo.....3298/

It doesn't really end with anything conclusive, but it was an interesting read regarding this topic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics