Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Let's get stronger, ladies!!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

hopeafterloss

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 3:32 pm
Finally felt a little better so I did 10 sit-ups, 5 push-ups, and 5 min on my steps machine. Thats all the energy I can muster, but it feels good to start!

dovebird

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 7:34 pm
Who wants to be my gym buddy in the Lucille Roberts on Kong’s highway (Flatbush) ?!? Need to get moving but need motivation!

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:14 pm
I'm also always cold, and I have circulation problems, like I have to reposition myself often, because an arm or leg has fallen asleep. I never thought I could cure these issues through exercise. You have given me hope! Also, for all the posters who said they like to bike, can you recommend a way to do this in a tznius way? I love to bike and I have figured out an awkward system - I wear a long heavy skirt under whatever im normally wearing. I Clip the skirt on each side with elastic bands that are meant for holding down a fitted sheet (with metal clips on each side like suspenders). That keeps the skirt from flying up or getting stangled in the bike chain. If anyone has a classier solution to "biking while frum" I'd love to hear it!

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:12 am
InnerMe wrote:
Hey Rappel!!
Don't feel down.. it's ok we fall down and we get back up. We each have our days.
Don't beat yourself up for missing a day... you're doin' wonderful!!

You've been being a great cheerleader.. figured someones gotta cheer the cheerleader on Wink We need our cheerleader! Smile

Thanks Inner Me Smile you did cheer me up.

What is that yoga app called? I've started a yoga class once a week, but it HURTS to stretch! I definitely need to practice more often, and that sounds like just the thing!

I did stretch on motzash with DH, and yesterday I power walked UPHILL to gan. Whew! It was tough, but my breathing was already more open from these past few days - I felt challenged, but in control. Smile

Today I'll be throwing out a bunch of heavy broken furniture the previous renters left in our garden. I hope I can find something else to spice the day up!

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:18 am
Go hope after loss! That's a great leap forward - and you're stronger for those push ups and sit ups. Smile
And puce: that's quite a system! I wear Aladdin pants (it has a dropped crotch, so it looks like a knee length skirt with two loose legs reaching my ankles) under my skirt when I bike. That way, even if the skirt does flip up accidentally, the shape of my legs never shows. For sports in general, I find Aladdin pants and a below-the-knee dress to be much more tsanua than the shirt/skirt/leggings ensemble I used to wear, and much more comfortable too!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:26 am
Thanks for the response!
Maybe I just tried the wrong aladin pants, the ones I wore just clung to my legs when the wind blows and looked like I was wearing pants when the skirt on top blew up. Do you have a link to the brand you buy?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:49 am
Hey, how did I miss this thread until now? It's exactly what I'm looking for!!
My days and nights are so irregular, no schedule at all. There is almost no way for me to eat better, because I don't have breakfast/lunch/supper- I have a meal when I feel like it. Sometimes my 3 meals will all be after dark. (Or 4 meals. or 5. Who's counting?) And don't ask what's in it.
I want to be HEALTHY, even if I weigh more than what's pretty. And I need motivation to do some exercise.
So- I'm in!!!! (If you'll accept me:) )
Starting light, we'll see where I get.
Thanks, Rappel!

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the response!
Maybe I just tried the wrong aladin pants, the ones I wore just clung to my legs when the wind blows and looked like I was wearing pants when the skirt on top blew up. Do you have a link to the brand you buy?

You're right, it's very hit or miss.

Unfortunately, it's very hit or miss. Othenti was selling heavyweight cotton ones awhile back, but these things come and go. If you live in Yerushalayim, I'd try Othenti, Shamayim Vaaretz, Cameleon, Bat Ayin... And see if anything comes up.

There was another little shop in the shuk where I had great luck finding such things - it was tsanua clothing designed to look stylish on larger women. I don't remember what it's called, but if you turn your back to The Etrog Man, and walk down that little corridor ahead of you, it's the third or fourth shop on your left.

There's also Siam, on Yaffo, but since their things are usually very see-through and clingy, as you said, I don't normally shop there.

I don't usually shop online, but I would recommend searching for "palazzo" or "Bohemian" pants, and then pick whichever one drapes the best and is made of a breathable material.

Let me know if you find anything good! Mine have just about worn out, but I haven't time to do a detailed shopping right now. (Oh, if only I would make my own clothes!)

InnerMe

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:20 pm
Rappel wrote:
Thanks Inner Me Smile you did cheer me up.

What is that yoga app called? I've started a yoga class once a week, but it HURTS to stretch! I definitely need to practice more often, and that sounds like just the thing!

I did stretch on motzash with DH, and yesterday I power walked UPHILL to gan. Whew! It was tough, but my breathing was already more open from these past few days - I felt challenged, but in control. Smile

Today I'll be throwing out a bunch of heavy broken furniture the previous renters left in our garden. I hope I can find something else to spice the day up!

I will check at home what the yoga app is called and let you know.
Yay for you!!

I'm so proud. I did today yoga Day #4! I've made it my routine to do it in the morning.. and one day I'll be a pro:lol:

About the biking- I don't wear anthing special. I always wear loose skirts, and I don't find that they ride up when I bike. I tuck them under a little and I'm good. It probably is not the most tznius though Confused

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:27 pm
Thanks for the info rappel!
I am in Israel I will check out those places. The main thing is that it should be heavy weight material I guess.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 2:35 pm
I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and cardiac insufficiency. Any exercising I'm doing has to be super low key.

Every evening I try to walk the dog a little bit longer, spend a little more time in the park with her, and even running very short distances to get her moving.

She's a long haired whippet, and she loves to run. I put her on a super long leash, and try to get her to run around as far as she can reach, for as long as she wants. She's really good motivation for me.

Bonus: When she's tired out, she's less likely to chase my cat. Wink

InnerMe

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:11 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and cardiac insufficiency. Any exercising I'm doing has to be super low key.

Every evening I try to walk the dog a little bit longer, spend a little more time in the park with her, and even running very short distances to get her moving.

She's a long haired whippet, and she loves to run. I put her on a super long leash, and try to get her to run around as far as she can reach, for as long as she wants. She's really good motivation for me.

Bonus: When she's tired out, she's less likely to chase my cat. Wink

That sounds lovely. Spend some time with her and get some movement and fresh air at the same time. Win-win!

Rappel, the name of the yoga app is Yoga Workout - Meditation & Fitness Plan .
It basically has different categories. The one I'm doing right now is called "30 day yoga challenge for beginners."

I did day 5 today! Yay!!!
I do it as soon as I get up before I do anything, and I feel the difference. My head feels a little clearer and more alert after it. I think I'll do day 5 again tomorrow because I wasn't completely following, and get it down pat, then move on to day 6.

I'm keeping up the stairs thing.. I still pant. But less. At least I think less LOL

I try to get in walks here and there. Like sunday me and dh wanted to go somewhere several blocks away. I am normally very lazy and if we can go by car.. then why choose the harder way? Anyhoow... now I'm trying to make an effort to do those nearby errands with my 2 feet!
Yay for me! Yay for us! Rappel thanks for starting this thread!

hopeafterloss

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:54 pm
I am on day 6 of my no sugar detox. yay! do you know how much sugar is in EVERYTHING!

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:07 am
Inner Me, thank YOU for keeping this going! This support group is motivating me like nothing else.

I'll admit, I'm very tempted (often, unfortunately!) to just say I exercised even when I didn't. I was shocked to realize this - in general, honesty is a central value for me - but it would be so much easier to just not do anything. If I followed through on that impulse, though, I'd be very ashamed of myself. Instead, I've been using the peer pressure I'm feeling to push myself to actually get some exercise done, and that choice adds an extra layer of healthy exhilaration which I was NOT expecting!

On Monday, the weather was so fine that I took the kids out for a nature ramble. It was a lot of downhill on the way out, and a lot of uphill on the way back, but as I was pushing that baby carriage up all I could think was "slow and steady wins the race!" By the time I made it home, I was sweaty, and happy, and had probably walked 2-3 kilometers.

And I'm doing a 30 day challenge now too! I looked up the app you recommended , and while I couldn't find it, I found a similar one - the yoga videos were done by a woman named Adrienne. Is that the one you're doing? I did the first day last night, and the yoga was so playful, I just had to enjoy it. Who knew "real" exercise could be fun??

My plan is to do a video any day I don't have my real yoga class, in order to get stronger and more limber. I'm committed, and that's final! Smile

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 6:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

:

FF, kol hakavod! It can't be easy to get moving under such conditions, and doing it with your dog is brilliant! You're an inspiration.

Inner Me, I forgot to mention how impressed I am that you're choosing to walk everywhere local. If I had a driver's license, I'm not sure I would. embarrassed Good for you!

Let's keep it up, superwomen! I feel stronger already!

hopeafterloss

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 2:29 am
Did a 10 min workout this morning! Was all I could fit in, but I feel great!

Rappel

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 2:39 am
hopeafterloss wrote:
Did a 10 min workout this morning! Was all I could fit in, but I feel great!

You go girl! That's such a great way to start the day.

I saw upthread that you're working out in combination with a no-sugar rule. Does that help you feel more energetic?

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 9:00 am
Started with 1 minute of going up steps every day, and some yoga.
I need to start taking iron supplements again. Will up the steps (hey, that sentence sounds good!) when I am actually able to breathe afterward Smile
Rappel, you are amazing!!! Good for you for doing all that!

InnerMe

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 11:14 am
Hey- looks like we have a yoga group goin' on here..
Rappel- the name of the instructor is Leslie Fightmaster.. so I guess it's not the same. I'm curious which one your doing. What's the name of the app?
Did day 7 today!!! A full week!! Yes!!!!
I don't catch on all the time, and sometimes feel like I'm doing it all wrong. But as long as I keep doin' it I'll get there.

Rappel

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 7:16 am
Witch check-in before Shabbat:

Wednesday - yoga class! And my body didn't hurt anymore when I'd lie down in corpse pose.

Thursday: Hauling rocks. Literally. I did only nice half a wheelbarrow's with by the end, but it made me wonder if I can use that as a benchmark...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise