Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The siddur that meant something to Marilyn Monroe

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 9:48 am
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16......html

To me it is unbelievable that someone like Marilyn Monroe actually valued something of spiritual value. I look at someone like her as embracing the opposite of spirituality but I realize that I am often guilty of failing to look deeper. Marilyn Monroe epitomized flashy materialism to the world but underneath it all, unbeknownst to the public, she was a believer in Hashem. I doubt that she had a kosher conversion but she took whatever conversion that she did have seriously and studied and davened from her siddur.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:02 am
What's so unbelievable that she could be more than what we saw on the outside and the characters she played? From everything I've read about her over the years, she was a very troubled person with a very hard life, but she was clever and kind and thoughtful, not the stereotypical dumb blonde at all.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:57 pm
From the little I know, including the troubled youth, unhappy as an adult and being self aware of how she was perceived, it doesn't surprise me that she wanted something more and deeper than what was expected of her. It's because of her public image that I can readily believe her need for something meaningful and real. Why shouldn't that have been a relationship with Hashem?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:17 am
dee's mommy wrote:
From the little I know, including the troubled youth, unhappy as an adult and being self aware of how she was perceived, it doesn't surprise me that she wanted something more and deeper than what was expected of her. It's because of her public image that I can readily believe her need for something meaningful and real. Why shouldn't that have been a relationship with Hashem?

I should not have used the word "unbelievable". A better word should have been "surprising".

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:49 am
southernbubby wrote:
I should not have used the word "unbelievable". A better word should have been "surprising".

Yes, there is more to people than how they are publicly perceived.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:14 am
I am not sure Marilyn Monroe embraced Judaism in the classic sense but then again, Miller was a secular Jew so she was as Jewish in terms of day to day practices as he was - I hope that is not construed as being negative to either but just that neither of them were spending Shabbos in a frum manner.

I think Monroe was a lost soul who no doubt sought meaning and purpose in life but sadly found neither and seemed to be terribly exploited by those around her including Miller who married his Xtian Goddess but grew tired with the real woman behind the facade. From what I have read, the man who truly loved her was Joe DiMaggio and for whatever reason that didn't work.

As an aside, my great grandmother attended knitting circle with Miller's mother on Avenue J :-).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:27 am
Joe diMaggio had his own issues even though I also believe he loved her.
Ditto about exploitation...
BUT Miller was a born Jew, so even if he didn't keep shabbes or what - he was a Jew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics