Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me abt the MO in Baltimore

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:23 pm
We are searching for a warm, established community with a mix of (right-wing) MO and Yeshivish. I've heard there is a small community of MO in Baltimore. Can anyone tell me about the MO community including the size, shul, school, where they live ... All info welcomed!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 11:43 pm
Could you try to clarify exactly what you are looking for?

there are a number of shuls where people go if they are right wing MO. In all these shuls there is a mix of yeshivish and right wing MO
eg Suburban orthodox, RAbbi Shmuel Silber
Bnai jacob shaarei zion, rAbbi moshe hauer
Shomrei Emunah, rabbi marwick
also I think there is a mix of people at Ohel Moshe, rabbi zvi teichman.

All these shuls are well established shuls with amazing rabbanim.

then there are shuls that are really more MO, not necessarily right wing MO
eg Ner Tamid, RAbbi Sruli motzen
Pikesville jewish center
Beth Tfiloh (many of their members drive to shul)
Moses Montefiore Anshei emunah, liberty jewish center

Schools:
TA and Bais Yaakov have plenty of kids from right wing MO families. Both completely single gender.
Ohr chadash is a smaller newer school, they go from nursery through middle schoo, there is no high school. Its MO, and a zionistic school. It has a good reputation and good teachers. It is coed altogether until I htink 4th grade, then it is separate for kodesh only through 8th grade.

Beth tfiloh is a wide mix of Jews. Ranging from non affiliated definitely not religious, through MO, mostly not RW MO though. Fully co-ed

Living: ONce you choose a shul that suits you, you can choose a neighborhood to live in. I find that baltimroe is very inclusive, everyobody is friendly with each other even if not your exact hashkafa.
suburban orhtodox shul is in the seven mile area.
shomrei emunah is in greenspring, so is Ner Tamid.

one thing is important for you to know: Baltimore is more yeshivish nowadays than MO in general. Since Yeshivat Rambam closed down in 2011 if I remember correctly, a lot of MO families moved to silver spring MD where there is a school called Berman Hebrew academy, its a big co-ed MO school.

hope this is helpful. Please clarify exactly what you are looking for though.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:07 am
Ohr Chadash is a MO school. But RWMO can fit into many of the schools here.

Adding to the list of schools, Darchei Noam Montessori also gets a mix of kids:
https://www.facebook.com/Darch.....sori/
https://darcheinoammontessori.com/

There really isn't an MO high school at this time. Beth Tefiloh comes closest.

Similarly the neighborhood north of Smith near PJC has a high concentration of MO — mostly more LWMO — but Baltimore neighborhoods are a big mix in general and don't break down into neat categories.

http://www.pikesvillejewish.com/

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:57 am
Op here - we are seriously looking into kemp mill and Potomac, md already as we know it has a large mix of both MO and yeshivish. But the cost of tuition sounds significantly less in Baltimore and it also sounds more friendly/warm, not to mention there are more Jewish establishments ... So I wanted to look into it. I'm more modern orthodox (right wing, I.e. I don't drive on shabbos but also don't cover my hair during the week). Dh is more Yeshivish (black hat on shabbos, business professional during the week).

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:03 am
amother wrote:
(right wing, I.e. I don't drive on shabbos but also don't cover my hair during the week).

Huh? What kind of MO Jews do drive on Shabbat?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:49 am
I think that was in response to a pp who mentioned a shul where some do drive to shul. There is no shortage of threads defining MO. Please don't turn this thread into that.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:50 am

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:34 am
HI OP, Im the poster who typed up that long megillah last night on this thread Smile

from your descriptions of yourself and your husband, I imagine you would be most comfortable of all in Ohr Chadash. Its a very warm and friendly school, and I would think that a large percentage of the parents there would be similar to you in terms of 'frumkeit' levels.

This year is OCA's first 8th grade graduating class. it will be interesting to see where all teh current 8th graders go for high school.
I suspect some will go to Beth Tfiloh, maybe a few will go to TA/other yeshivas/bais yaakov etc.
But I strongly suspect that a number of them will go to Berman Hebrew academy in silver spring. There are already vans of kids who go to Hebrew academy and Yeshiva of greater washington every morning.

I think you should look into Ohr chadash (OCA) first. and I can imagine you and your husband would fit in well at suburban orhtodox.
good luck.
keep us updated on your decision so that we can welcome you to baltimroe if you move here!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:56 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Huh? What kind of MO Jews do drive on Shabbat?

Beth tefila in Baltimore is modern orthodox. Their parking lot is open on Shabbos
It’s the philosophy. Believing in Torah was given to Moshe at hat Sinai even if not following it.
Switching to conservative or reform in Baltimore denies or changes some of that.
People who send there who drive would be be VERY insulted if you said they weren’t MO because intellectually they believe it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating