Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Bala Cynwyd

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:19 am
We recently moved from NJ to the Lower Merion area because the schools here are more affordable. (We have 6 kids, thank Gd) Our kids are enjoying school and we are extremely grateful. However, before we buy a house in this area, we are very concerned about a few things which maybe anyone familiar with the area can help me out with.
-we are not affluent or even well off. We dont really have savings. Is this area more expensive than NJ?
-Along the same lines, we want to be with people in a similar financial situation as us. Are the people here very wealthy, in general? Is there an entitled mentality? I want my kids growing up with kind, simple people.
-there are a lot of universities in this area and well educated people. My husband and I both went to grad school but we are not doctors or lawyers, etc. Is this looked down upon here?

I truly apologize if I offended anyone living in or who grew up in lower merion. I just want to make sure I am in a place with friendly, down to earth people. Thank you.

shaimac1

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:56 am
Hi! What schools were your children going to in NJ that were more expensive then CTA? With the full tuition being almost $15k per child..it isn't really cheaper! We also moved recently to this area and couldn't even afford LM! We have personally decided to move back to the Midwest for all the issues you mentioned and since we can have almost free tuition for our 5 kids...and make $140k a year...buy a house with a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom for $300k with taxes at $3000 a year!! And the community is so much more laid back and families work hard but without the stress of tuition it can happen! Feel free to PM!

SRB

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:23 pm
Shaimac1 - can I ask where you are moving back to? It sounds so affordable?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:48 pm
Off topic but how do you say the name of this place? Like "Ballakwind"? "Balls Kin Wid"? Just curious.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:01 pm
I'm bumping this post up because I want to hear abt this area - we are also considering a relocation here.

Can anyone tell me if there are tuition vouchers for schooling here?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
Off topic but how do you say the name of this place? Like "Ballakwind"? "Balls Kin Wid"? Just curious.

The Pennsylvanians I know pronounce it somewhat like Bala (like Val) - Kinwid

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:59 am
Ba (as in bad)- la (like the note) kin wood

shaimac1

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:12 am
amother wrote:
I'm bumping this post up because I want to hear abt this area - we are also considering a relocation here.

Can anyone tell me if there are tuition vouchers for schooling here?

No they do not have Vouchers in Bala Cynwyd. The have a program called EITC and you need to live in the city of Philadelphia to get it, but depending on how large your family is and how much your taxable income is it may or may not help you...it also depends on which schools you want to send to...
Best to reach out to the school's directly or you can PM me questions!

Where we are moving to in the Midwest they have Vouchers and SGO which helps a ton...and CAN make K-12 almost free...

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:44 am
shaimac1 wrote:
No they do not have Vouchers in Bala Cynwyd. The have a program called EITC and you need to live in the city of Philadelphia to get it, but depending on how large your family is and how much your taxable income is it may or may not help you...it also depends on which schools you want to send to...
Best to reach out to the school's directly or you can PM me questions!

Where we are moving to in the Midwest they have Vouchers and SGO which helps a ton...and CAN make K-12 almost free...

What’s with backhanded mysterious marketing over here? You’re from South Bend and have been promoting people moving there for awhile now. That’s like all you posted about for a long time.

shaimac1

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:04 am
I am living in Philadelphia currently that is why I can honestly comment about both.
If we could afford to live in Bala Cynwyd I would...but we cannot.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:55 am
simcha2 wrote:
Ba (as in bad)- la (like the note) kin wood

Kinwid. That's a pet peeves of mine when people say or write cynwood

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
Kinwid. That's a pet peeves of mine when people say or write cynwood

Lived in the area for several years, never heard "wid". It comes from the Welsh, which is pronounced somewhere in the middle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating