Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Writing down your memories, is this weird?

hannah22

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:38 am
I'm a keen creative writer and I keep a journal in which I write all kinds of things like short stories and reflections on life.

I thought I would start writing down memories in my life that I won't forget, like of some people who I met and who I will 99% never meet again, but who's kindness to me I will never forget.

Not made up stories, real memories.

Is that a weird idea?

singleagain

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:42 am
Not at all. Sometimes it can be really helpful to find patterns and stuff.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:49 am
Not weird at all. As normal as history. Written history that is.

mandksima

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:53 am
I write myself detailed emails all of the time with things I want to remember, especially dreams. I think it's a great idea.

groovy1224

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 7:25 am
I do this all the time, especially about my kids. Sometimes they do something so adorable, and I know I won't remember it in 20 years but will love to have these stories to look back on.
My mother in law did this, and it was so fun to read all the little stories about my DH when he was little!

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:14 am
I think it's a great idea! I wish I would find more time to do this, too! I'm sure my kids would appreciate stories about them.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:13 am
I think its a great idea. I have a google doc where I write down cute things that my kids said or did. I started it around two years ago. Sometimes when I write something new I'll randomly scroll up and read an old memory and I get a good laugh. Im sure Ill really appreciate this doc when the kids are all grown and theyll appreciate it too!

Chaya123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:33 pm
I also keep a journal actually in the notes of my phone. It's a great way to get all my feelings, thoughts, ideas, stress, frustration etc off my chest without having to find someone to listen and having others pass judgement etc. I never shared my notes with anyone and always wonder if one day, will be discovered and others will read. Either way, it's been so healing for me letting me vent away and unloading my brain and heart. It's also been so gratifying and enlightening for me to read back and see how I've changed, my situations changed and so many hopes and dreams came true. On the other hand, I also see how some of which I struggle now, I struggled with back then too and that's just life.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:35 pm
No, why would you think so? Isn’t that the whole point of a diary?

giselle

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:26 pm
Back when Facebook was just a nice way to keep up with a small group of close friends, I would post cute things my kids did/said. Now they show up in my memories and are a lot of fun to read.

Metukah

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:56 pm
Sounds like a really nice idea.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 4:47 pm
I make photo scrapbooks of our family and I always journal the story behind the photos.
I also began scrapbookinf my own childhood photos and jogging my memory as much as I can. I recently wrote down how I felt when my parents were going through their divorce. I find it very therapeutic to write it down but it's even more therapeutic when I go back and read everything, the good, the bad and the inbetween.

Juicy

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 5:17 pm
I do a 5 year diary ( has 5 sections on every calendar day). It's fun to see every year what happened this day in the past.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics