Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami Sukkos Article on Rosenberg execution

Chaya123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:27 pm
Still catching up on YT reading material and chanced on this article very late Friday night and have been so absolutely intrigued by this shameful piece of history. So sad thinking of the poor children, with their parents taken away from them, shunned by everyone they knew, shuffled from place to place and eventually having their parents killed. It's terrible to think this could happen in America! Even if their parents were guilty, they should never have killed both if there were 2 young children involved, no matter what!
I googled articles on this topic to read more and have been so fascinated! Can't believe I never heard of this before.

leah233

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 3:42 pm
I was VERY turned off by that article.

Even assuming, which I'm not, that Ethel Rosenberg did not help give atomic secrets to the Russians she was still an evil person. (Julias Rosenberg was almost certainly guilty)

She did not deny being a member of the communist party and activist for communist causes.

At a time when communism was synonymous with a regime of murder and evil. At a time when American school children had drills for a possible Russian nuclear attack.

She easily could have saved her life by cooperating with the FBI and helping them find Russian spies operating in the US.

She refused and gets no sympathy from me.

She knew about her impending death sentence and had plenty of time to arrange for someone to adopt her children. Great mother that she was, she didn't bother.

An uncle of mine was in a car with one of the Gedoley H'Dor at the time. He was asked about the efforts of certain (secular) Jewish groups lobbying against their execution. He empathically stated "Mir zol zei oifhengen"

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:02 pm
It is widely recognized these days that Ethel Rosenberg was innocent. https://www.hidabroot.com/arti.....cence

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:13 pm
I have read about it a few times in the past but was still fascinated when I read about it now again.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:24 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
It is widely recognized these days that Ethel Rosenberg was innocent. https://www.hidabroot.com/arti.....cence

Yes.

I read a lot about the Rosenbergs a few years ago, and have forgotten most of it. But I do recall that not only was she likely innocent, the government prosecuted her, and only went for the death penalty, to put pressure on Julius.

AND they were sold out by Ethel's brother and his wife. (Next time anyone says they have nasty in-laws ....)

leah233

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:25 pm
OBnursemom wrote:

Even if she was not guilty of those particular charges she certainly was an activist for communist Russia.

From her place of freedom in America.

I have no sympathy for her.

leah233

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Yes.

I read a lot about the Rosenbergs a few years ago, and have forgotten most of it. But I do recall that not only was she likely innocent, the government prosecuted her, and only went for the death penalty, to put pressure on Julius.

AND they were sold out by Ethel's brother and his wife. (Next time anyone says they have nasty in-laws ....)

That is true but at the time of the trial no one knew that. At that time there was little reason not to believe the brother and his wife's testimony.

Particularly when Julius and Ethel refused to talk and cooperate with the investigation
in order to protect the other communists they were associated with.

shshsh

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 6:33 pm
Fascinating article. I read about this extensively, but this was was the childrens’ perspective-which is another story entirely.

To reply to the poster who said Ethel was guilty... in those days communism was not synonymous with murder. People were not as aware of how communism will play out as it was a relatively “new and modern” concept to implement. A tremedous amount of youth got attracted to the movement of “equality for all.” It was actually quite similar to what liberalism is today-a misguided belief in social justice and equality that ends in bloodshed.

Once she was arrested, Ethel had no way of arranging anything for her children. She was behind bars and those who had the ability to help the children (like her in laws or parents), shunned her.

About Gedolim... let’s just say that people were not as well informed and didn’t. Follow the case as closely. Keep in mind as well that these gedolim came from Europe (deemed bad) to America (deemed medinah shel chesed with a perfect justice system). They were afraid of rocking their new boat and wanted all “traitors” gone.

Suffice it to say that we’ve all seen how perfect our justice system works... she was never meant to land in the electric chair, but the justice system acoukdnt swallow their pride in the face of the national pressure.

Sad sad story.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:03 pm
leah233 wrote:
Even if she was not guilty of those particular charges she certainly was an activist for communist Russia.

From her place of freedom in America.

I have no sympathy for her.

Most of the articles I’ve read about it say that she was used as bait by the FBI. And the brother, who was more likely involved, sold them out. Further, innocent under the circumstances means not deserving of the death penalty. That means she was murdered by the state. Also sympathy and/or feelings of any kind are not usually required for relating accurate historical facts. Try to tone it down a tad.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:40 pm
During the Weberman trial I asked a widely respect rebbitzin what her view was on how he should be treated, and also about how that Yid who killed a cop should treated, as he was on death row.

I was told that someone so disgustingly low like Weberman and someone who made horrific mistakes and is a danger to people should absolutely be locked up behind bars for life, with no chance at parole, but as Yidden, we have to understand that a Yid should never be handed the death sentence without a full sanhedrin reaching that conclusion.

So despite whatever the Rosenbergs did or didn't do, and your personal opinion about them, we should never feel complacent or uncaring when it comes to a Yid on death row.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:22 pm
could the article be posted here?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
could the article be posted here?

This thread is from 2018

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
This thread is from 2018
TMI
Soosorry! I didnt realize!!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:09 pm
nothhig changed from 2018. it's still fascinating.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:16 pm
I think Stephen Dubner wrote about them in his book Turbulent Souls; he's related somehow.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:24 pm
there are a lot of books out about them

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:13 pm
Since this was bumped...

Rabbi Eisenman from Passaic gave his Tisha b'Av 5778 shiur on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaLgYgOMLM

I think there was also a Part 2 given that Shabbos Nachamu that was deliberately not recorded. I didn't attend so I'm not sure what other perspectives were offered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room