Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler Outerwear/Car Seat Question

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:04 pm
I am aware that thick coats are not safe in a car seat because they would cause the kid's head and neck to be jerked around in a crash. I just feel soooo terrible not dressing my kid as warmly as I dress myself. It feels awful. What does everyone do?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
I am aware that thick coats are not safe in a car seat because they would cause the kid's head and neck to be jerked around in a crash. I just feel soooo terrible not dressing my kid as warmly as I dress myself. It feels awful. What does everyone do?

Why wouldn’t you dress your kids warmly? I takencoats off in the car. When my kids are old enough, they take their coats of on their own.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:13 pm
I guess I just don't see a point of putting in on just to take it right off. He'd be wearing it for 4 seconds.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:15 pm
there are coats that are "packable". they look more like spring coats but are warmer. I bought one. tried my dd in the car seat with and without to make sure the straps fit the same way and didn't have to be tightened before letting her wear it in the carseat while driving. if you do that test with a regular "down" coat you'll see the difference.
I think they also have other types meant to be used with a car seat, with zippers... if you do a google search but this was an inexpensive safe option.

teachkids

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:15 pm
I also heard that fleece is fine, so have your kids wear a fleece sweatshirt with a warmer coat on top, and just take off the top layer in the car.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 1:23 pm
something like this but I got mine second hand for much cheaper https://www.hannaandersson.com.....D_BwE

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr.....orman

ibelongtosomebody

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:34 pm
I’ve never heard of this. I buy my kids regular gap / old navy puffer coats. Are they not supposed to wear them in the car?

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:43 pm
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
I’ve never heard of this. I buy my kids regular gap / old navy puffer coats. Are they not supposed to wear them in the car?

No, they should not. If the car stops short, the baby/child pushes hard against the safety straps. that will flatten the down/puffiness, leaving the straps too loose. Possible for the child to get flung around or even out of the carseat.

grivky

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 3:05 pm
This website has a lot of good info about this topic. http://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 3:08 pm
ibelongtosomebody wrote:

Watch this to see why putting a child in a car seat while in their coat can render the child car seat completely ineffective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7bTQsU_4Mo

momsrus

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 3:10 pm
for a younger baby I used this https://www.amazon.com/Skip-Ho.....;th=1

Just put baby on a thick sweater and hat and covered the car seat with this when taking it out the car. A toddler should wear a coat and take it off in the car.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 3:18 pm
I am OP and just purchased a Road Coat for my toddler. Expensive but can be lifesaving!

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:32 pm
Last year when we were just running from the house to the car or something quick like that I'd put a small blanket around my toddler (he'd be wearing a sweatshirt, winter hat and warm clothing).

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:45 am
Isn't it cold in the car when you get in? I drive my toddler for 2 minutes each day. I'm worried he will catch a cold if I take off his coat in the car, because the car is still cold (I have no way to hear it up beforehand) and the door has to be open while I'm taking off/putting on the coat!

I'm going to get him a fleece and have him wear a hat (which he hates but hopefully will get used to.)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:44 am
I know it’s not perfect but what works for me is to put the child in the seat wearing the coat, unzip the coat and pull the straps under the coat and buckle it against their body. Then zip the coat or button a button on top of the buckle. You still have the coat puffiness behind the child but not in front. I make sure the straps are very very tight.

On another note, I have a question. Is the only concern about thick coats about the straps being too loose? If I tighten the straps to fit properly without a coat and then put the coat on and buckle again without loosening the straps is that safe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics