Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is your kid on Vyvanse?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:21 pm
I'm starting my 10-y/o DS on 20 mg Vyvanse this week. He's never been on meds before. What have your experiences been with it? Please share! TIA

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:33 pm
So my tall 9 year old started 10 mg and then 20 with no effect. 30 he felt wierd for close to a week. Not himself. Also watch for appetite changes and trouble falling asleep. I just make sure he eats a good breakfast and I know he is mostly skipping lunch. But by the time it’s dinner time he is starving so he eats a good dinner

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:41 pm
Thanks for the quick response! DS just turned 10 and is also tall (and recently a little chunky so the reduced appetite may not be the worst thing...) Do you find that he has trouble sleeping once he falls asleep? Does he have a hard time as it wears off? Is it helping him and how?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:50 pm
So he has a lot of trouble falling asleep, but he always did because his brain didn’t stop, but it’s a bit worse now. Once he’s asleep, he stays asleep Bh. I think it is helping a bit but hard for me to see because I mostly need it/see him morning and evening and for then it doesn’t work. He also tends to be sensitive and overly emotional and it seems to be heightening those, but we are giving it more time

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:13 pm
Thank you! Have you tried melatonin? My pediatrician who’s usually anti-melatonin told me she recommends it to kids on ADHD meds.

Anyone else?

potatoes

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:31 pm
tried it for dc but it had no effect, and some slight negative effect. we stopped it. sigh. still searching for a medication that will work.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 9:41 pm
My son is doing well on Vyvanse for almost 3 years now. (Ritalin and Adderall were a disaster). We started at 10mg and he's now on 40 and doing very nicely. If we are off schedule his behavior reminds me that he needs his meds and I know he'll settle down an hour after he takes it. Sometimes he has a smaller appetite for lunch and eats more supper. I don't see significant rebound after it wears off (we did with Ritalin). He takes melatonin to help with falling asleep but idk if that's from the meds or ADHD. Overall I feel the benefits it gives him ate worthwhile.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:10 am
My son has done well on Vyvanse after having bad experiences with other meds (ie Concerta).

By dinner time it's no longer really affecting his appetite. If he takes it too late in the morning it will keep him up late at night so he makes sure to take it right out of bed. (This was my experience with Concerta and Ritalin as well)

imasinger

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:11 am
Melatonin at night is a good idea for those on stimulant meds.

Also, be prepared for the possibility of a difficult time
late in the day, the so called "rebound effect". Doesn't happen to everyone, but is still pretty common.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 4:43 am
I do give melatonin but I don’t like to. I try to give him time to fall asleep without it. That’s because we have been given it on and off since he’s little because this is not a new problem and I feel like the research is just not long enough to know what long term effects are

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:56 am
Ds (9) is on 10 mg with no change so we are increasing to 20 and we'll see how it goes. At this point we areally desparate for it to start working!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
I do give melatonin but I don’t like to. I try to give him time to fall asleep without it. That’s because we have been given it on and off since he’s little because this is not a new problem and I feel like the research is just not long enough to know what long term effects are

That's why my ped doesn't like to give it, there haven't been enough long-term studies, but she says the benefit outweighs the risk with ADHD kids.

Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)