Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep deprivation

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:28 pm
I'm a first time mom and my 6 month old doesn't sleep well. I'm working on sleep training and it's slowly showing progress but not quickly enough. I work part time at a demanding job and have a very hard time dealing with my boss, I don't have cleaning help so all housework is on me and I'm just so tired.

So, I'm looking for tried and true tricks to surviving through exhaustion. I'm looking for tools to keep myself from exploding when things get hectic and from letting my boss's comments get to me.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:41 pm
!!!!!!!!
I just did a double take. Did I write this? Because I started a post this morning Andy didn’t finish it. Blame it on the sleep deprivation.

The only differences: My baby is a bit younger than yours, and I work full time with a commute.

So, what have you tried so far?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:17 pm
Well I noticed that staying hydrated helps with energy. But it's but quite enough.

simba

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:20 pm
Unfortunately the only real fix is more sleep. Its a real catch 22.
Try and get cleaning help if possible and let things slide. Cut yourself slack in housework.
It is a challenging time but it does get better.

Mazal Tov on your new baby! Its a sweet age.

amother
Wheat

I'm sorry that I have no advice for you other than find the time to nap....severe sleep deprivation after my baby almost made me do things that....
I tried sugar, coffee water bla bla. bottom line is that Hashem created the body that it needs to rest. You can't abuse your own body.

Leave the dishes in the sink, the supper on the table, get off imamother and go to sleep

mom!

Hugs OP. The stage does pass... The pain of being tired is real. Cut yourself some slack. Let go of things to do around the house. ACCEPT HELP FROM ANYONE WHO OFFERS. Drink lots of coffee..

Good luck!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:23 pm
For the sleep deprivation I have no advice. My baby is 30 and I still get only 4-6 hours a night. But when I was ready to explode and really feared hurting my kids, I’d go into my room, lock the door and scream into my pillow all the awful things I felt like screaming at them until I no longer felt like a steam boiler with its pressure gauge about to blow.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:26 pm
Oh gosh. These posts are scary Sad there's really no hope.

Unfortunately, cleaning help isn't an option, I'm letting so much slide and no help is really being offered right now.

I feel so ridiculous running to the bathroom at work to take deep breaths because of something my boss said that, had I had some sleep, I would've just rolled my eyes.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:31 pm
Hug

Honestly, this is one of the major reasons I took a few years break after my last child. The sleep deprivation until the baby is trained is so so difficult, it turns me into a different person.

You don't mention a husband, but if he's in the picture, please impress upon him how much this is affecting you. Is there any way he can get up with the baby in the morning so you can sleep a little later? Watch the baby so you can nap in the afternoon? It doesn't have to be ideal, you just have to make it work.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
Hug

Honestly, this is one of the major reasons I took a few years break after my last child. The sleep deprivation until the baby is trained is so so difficult, it turns me into a different person.

You don't mention a husband, but if he's in the picture, please impress upon him how much this is affecting you. Is there any way he can get up with the baby in the morning so you can sleep a little later? Watch the baby so you can nap in the afternoon? It doesn't have to be ideal, you just have to make it work.

My husband is trying really hard. He takes the baby in the morning so I get an extra 20 mins which is nice but not quite enough. He's as tired as me and it's hurting our relationship because we're both hypersensitive and snappy.

simba

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:42 pm
Is cleaning help an issue cause of funds?
If not, would you consider hiring a night nurse for a week so you can catch up a bit?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:42 pm
My baby is slightly younger than yours and I could have written your post. I’m just so tired all the time. I find it really hits me at the end of the day so I keep my nights wide open. Nothing gets planned for after 7-8 because at that point I can barely move. Good luck!

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:47 pm
simba wrote:
Is cleaning help an issue cause of funds?
If not, would you consider hiring a night nurse for a week so you can catch up a bit?

I'm still nursing so wouldn't want someone taking him at night but yes, funds are the issue.

Queen6

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:50 pm
Is he sleeping in your room? If so take him out... makes a huge difference. Is he eating solids? If not start feeding him... babies sleep better when they are well fed. If he’s exclusively nursed give him formula. There are no tricks to coping with exhaustion but you can help him sleep better it doesn’t have to be so exhausting.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:51 pm
OP it does get better . It's very important though that you go to sleep as early as possible and forget about the dishes in the sink or the swept floor. That's the only way I managed. Even now , my baby is four months old. I just go to sleep when she conks out between 9:30/10:00. That's when she does her longest stretch of sleep. So if she wakes up at 1:00 at least I slept from 10 and didn't just fall asleep at 12:30.
Also, by my child prior to my last, around five months post partum I was a snappy , exhausted person and then discovered my thyroid was not working properly which is common a few weeks to months after birth. Just something to have in mind. As soon as I got the correct dose of synthroid I was back to normal.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:54 pm
I'm interested to hear more about a thyroid issue. Is that something common? What other symptoms can I look for?

Yes he's sleeping in my room, not ready to move him out just yet, started solids a little so I'm hoping that will help. And we are sleep training him. But it's just so crazy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics