Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Sheva Brachos: Entertainment

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:41 am
Good Morning everyone!

My siblings and I will be making Sheva Brachos tonight for my youngest brother. I'd like to have some sort of entertainment.

What was the most charming, lovely, fun Sheva Brachos you've been to? Share your good ideas girls!

On a similar note, I will be speaking at the Sheva Brachos. I have some really sweet stories to tell about my brother that I think highlight what a great guy he is. Do I also need to say a dvar torah type thing? I think I do. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:27 am
If the meal is over and no one enjoys the conversation, bentch.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:32 am
Please skip the cute stories esp if they make the kallah feel "out".
I like to discuss and just "be" without a game or activity.
Dvar is good if kept short and APPROPRIATE to a simcha.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:37 am
Speech: dvar torah is not necessary but tying it in to the parshah or somehow to the torah adds a nice touch.
Game: have to think about that one. Many posters might "bash" the idea of a game, but if your guest are as fun loving as you are, it's a great idea!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:55 am
Game. Go to Dollar store or other cheap store. Buy random stuff. Everyone picks something and gets a pen and paper(can make them color paper for more fun). Write down a brocha having to do with the gift they picked. Chosson's and kallah take turns reading them. They get to keep the gifts

Alternatively you can just ho around the table and ppl say their brochos out loud.

We played this a few times and it's always fun.

baltomom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:35 am
Have a poem or grammen that incorporates your cute stories about your brother. It can be read or sung by nieces/nephews, if there are any that are old enough and will be at the sheva brachos, or by an adult (or a few).

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:13 am
At my BIL's SB we played a really fun game. we gave them each one a ladies shoe (high heels) and a mens shoes(sneakers). we had a whole list of questions of "whos the type"...and they each have to pick up the appropriate shoe that they think fits the describtion. for example: who is the type totake out finances/garbage. she would pick up the sneaker and he would pick up whoever he think is the type...you can make really funny questions.
This game only works well when its the type of couple that would appreciate it.

or you can give each person a piece of paper to write some advice for the couple and create a book of "advice that young couples should be aware of"

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:51 am
So excited to see this post! But then I realized your sheva brachot is tonight so my idea isn't going to work, but I will share in case others can benefit.

Just last night my sister and I hosted a sheva brachot for our little brother. This wedding was a big deal in the family and we wanted to do something extra special for the sheva brachot.
My sister found someone to put together a video to be shown, and it came out absoutley incredible! My brother and new SIL truly appreciated all the work we put into it.

My sister was really in charge of it, but if you want me to find out the name of the person she used let me know and I'll ask her for you.

mazel tov on your simcha!!!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
So excited to see this post! But then I realized your sheva brachot is tonight so my idea isn't going to work, but I will share in case others can benefit.

Just last night my sister and I hosted a sheva brachot for our little brother. This wedding was a big deal in the family and we wanted to do something extra special for the sheva brachot.
My sister found someone to put together a video to be shown, and it came out absoutley incredible! My brother and new SIL truly appreciated all the work we put into it.

My sister was really in charge of it, but if you want me to find out the name of the person she used let me know and I'll ask her for you.

mazel tov on your simcha!!!

If you have anyone in your family who is good with PowerPoint you can even do that today.
We recently made a party for my mother, we all sent one sister a message we wanted to tell her and she put it into a really special slide show.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:58 am
imasoftov wrote:
If the meal is over and no one enjoys the conversation, bentch.

Goodness. I don't think playing a party game means that no one is enjoying each others company. We're a very young at heart family. We like games.

I think my brother and sister in law would appreciate and enjoy some sort of entertainment in their honor.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
If you have anyone in your family who is good with PowerPoint you can even do that today.
We recently made a party for my mother, we all sent one sister a message we wanted to tell her and she put it into a really special slide show.

I love this idea! but way too late for this for me. None of us are particularly tech savy...

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
Game. Go to Dollar store or other cheap store. Buy random stuff. Everyone picks something and gets a pen and paper(can make them color paper for more fun). Write down a brocha having to do with the gift they picked. Chosson's and kallah take turns reading them. They get to keep the gifts

Alternatively you can just ho around the table and ppl say their brochos out loud.

We played this a few times and it's always fun.

Love this! I think I can pull this off!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:07 am
DVOM wrote:
Love this! I think I can pull this off!

It ends up being a whole lot of fun! Just buy random stuff. I love this game!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:22 am
I was recently at a sheva brachos in which we played an adorable game:
We took the initials of the chasson kallah, and the guys had to buy something for the chassan with that initial, and the women had to buy something for the kallah with her initals. For example the kallahs name is Esther Kresch then it would be EK. Something cheap from the dollar store.

People bought such random and funny stuff..it was hilarious.
We went through each one with the person who bought explaining the initials and why he bought it. Chassan kallah went home with a bag of random items, and a few actually useful things. There was lots of laughter and fun.

It's similar to the brachas idea, which also sounds cool.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:02 am
InnerMe wrote:
I was recently at a sheva brachos in which we played an adorable game:
We took the initials of the chasson kallah, and the guys had to buy something for the chassan with that initial, and the women had to buy something for the kallah with her initals. For example the kallahs name is Esther Kresch then it would be EK. Something cheap from the dollar store.

People bought such random and funny stuff..it was hilarious.
We went through each one with the person who bought explaining the initials and why he bought it. Chassan kallah went home with a bag of random items, and a few actually useful things. There was lots of laughter and fun.

It's similar to the brachas idea, which also sounds cool.

Ohhh, love it! I think this is too last minute for us, but I am filing it for next time!

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:27 am
Just wanted to follow up:

Sheva Brachos was last night, and the 'make a bracha based on a gag gift' game was a hit! We had a lot of teenaged nieces and nephews at this sheva brachos, and they really had a great time with it and came up with some hilarious and creative brachos.

Thanks for the great idea!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:36 am
Please ask the chasan and kallah if they're comfy with all this

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:51 am
Ruchel wrote:
Please ask the chasan and kallah if they're comfy with all this

They seemed to really enjoy it. And texted me this morning to say what a great time they had. So I think they were comfy with all of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days