Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Makes sense?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:33 pm
My daughter started working for a company 5 months ago- $15 an hour, 40 hours a week.

This is her first job after high school, and she started out doing entry level work, so we figured that it makes sense for her to be paid only $15 an hour.

2 months ago, she started being given work that is not entry level- she works with huge corporations, has tight deadlines, and a lot of responsibility.

Do you think it makes sense for her to ask for a raise now, being that she isn’t being paid according to the level of work she’s doing? She says it’s only been 5 months and it doesn’t make sense to ask for a raise yet, and if her boss refuses to give her a raise then she’ll feel awful about working there, but I think she’s being underpaid, and should ask for a raise.

Opinions, please?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:35 pm
I agree with your daughter. It makes more sense for her to wait until she's been there for a year and then explain to boss how valuable she's been to the company and ask for a raise.

Queen6

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:36 pm
I think you should let your daughter figure it out and stop getting involved. She needs to be her own person for this...
Either way she is right... it’s five months. Why should they give her a raise? Because she is doing different work? Who defines entry level? Are they abusing her? No just different work. That really ok.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:42 pm
Most companies raise once a year. She should wait for her yearly raise.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:44 pm
She should not ask for a raise the minute her responsibilities increase. In a year, she can tell them about how she has grown in her position and how she handled the added pressure, and ask for an increase then.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:45 pm
Let her get more work. That's great for her experience. But she should not ask for a raise before a year is up. In addition , I have found that the girls who's parents meddled into their jobs and commented , only did a disservice to their daughters. They become negative and then say "my mother said, my father said I should be getting paid more, this is not normal etc..." and they start to resent what they are doing instead of using the opportunity of a beginner to learn, learn and learn . You need to start at the bottom and build your way up. If you are not willing to do unpleasant tasks in the beginning you are stunting your growth. This is my opinion after working with numerous post highschool grads. There was a difference between the ones who's parents were involved and those that weren't.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:33 pm
Thank you all for your swift responses!

So it seems the unanimous opinion is that my daughter shouldn’t ask for a raise... Ok.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:56 pm
Definitely not ask for a raise before at least a year. Straight out of high school, I'd say wait at least two years. Jmho.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics