Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anyone follow Humans of NY?

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:49 pm
And is reading the latest posts from Rwanda?

Heartbreaking. But at the same time inspiring.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:55 pm
I never understood how the world looked the other way when the Holocaust happened. When I read these stories, I am newly astounded how this happened pretty recently and it didnt even make headlines.

simcha2

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 2:58 pm
This whole Africa series has been amazing

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 3:45 pm
Yes -- I've followed HONY for a long time, and certainly this series.

We knew exactly what was going on, but we had every excuse not to get involved. Some were perhaps even legitimate. The complete inefficacy of the U.N. was exposed in all its glory, too.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 4:00 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
I never understood how the world looked the other way when the Holocaust happened. When I read these stories, I am newly astounded how this happened pretty recently and it didnt even make headlines.

How old are you? I was in my late teens when it happened and I am certainly aware that there was a genocide in Rwanda. Not sure if I knew at the time or from later references. I'm sure it made the headlines.

Now - Syria - that has certainly shown me how the Holocaust could happen.

Fox - what were the legitimate reasons not to get involved in Rwanda? I cannot comprehend how a UN soldier holding a gun can just stand by and watch while men, women and children are slaughtered.

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 4:42 pm
Raisin wrote:
Fox - what were the legitimate reasons not to get involved in Rwanda? I cannot comprehend how a UN soldier holding a gun can just stand by and watch while men, women and children are slaughtered.

European countries and the U.S. were loathe to take action because their involvement would be seen as colonialist -- disrespectful to the autonomy of the African peoples.

In addition, the U.S. had recently suffered significant casualties in Somalia, and the mentality was somewhat isolationist. The optics of white Americans taking up arms against black Africans was not an appealing one to the Clinton administration, though in fairness, it would not be appealing to any administration.

The U.N. Peacekeeping Mission kept pulling their troops further and further back, eventually focusing their energy on getting foreign nationals out of the area.

There were plenty of experts who insisted that European/American involvement would simply perpetrate destructive racial tropes and that the best course of action was to let people work out their problems for themselves. Unfortunately, the method they chose to work things out happened to be genocide.

So, in short, our governments chose not to interfere because we didn't want to be seen as racists or colonialists.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 7:46 pm
I actually unfollowed him because of this series. I found it so extremely heartbreaking and triggering.

fmt4

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 8:31 pm
So so so so hard to read. Horrific beyond words.

simcha2

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 8:48 pm
Fox wrote:
European countries and the U.S. were loathe to take action because their involvement would be seen as colonialist -- disrespectful to the autonomy of the African peoples.

In addition, the U.S. had recently suffered significant casualties in Somalia, and the mentality was somewhat isolationist. The optics of white Americans taking up arms against black Africans was not an appealing one to the Clinton administration, though in fairness, it would not be appealing to any administration.

The U.N. Peacekeeping Mission kept pulling their troops further and further back, eventually focusing their energy on getting foreign nationals out of the area.

There were plenty of experts who insisted that European/American involvement would simply perpetrate destructive racial tropes and that the best course of action was to let people work out their problems for themselves. Unfortunately, the method they chose to work things out happened to be genocide.

So, in short, our governments chose not to interfere because we didn't want to be seen as racists or colonialists.

I think it is an unfortunate consequence of an isolationist philosophy. We see the same thing currently with the Rohingya and Wegars (sp?). There is always a balance to be struck between America First and America as World Leader. The pendulum swings depending on economics, how badly the military was burned in their last endeavor and general sentiment in the country.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room