Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Stitches at morah
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:37 pm
My 3 yr old son got a large gash on his head while at his playgroup. It required stitches which was not covered by my insurance since I just moved and don’t have insurance set up yet (it’s in process)I had to pay out of pocket a few hundred dollars.
The morah is super responsible with years of experience and this as not due to negligence on her part at all. It was complete accident on my sons part and no way it could’ve been prevented.
I know morah is not responsible for the stitches but I’m curious to hear all your opinions on who pays for it. Can I ask her to chip in or just suck it up and pay it all myself?
P.s. she did not ask me to sign anything about medical issues that happen during th year.

oneofakind

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:38 pm
Sorry. You pay.

real israeli

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:41 pm
You pay. You admit this was not due to negligence. Twice I took a kid for stitches. Both times the injury happened under my watch. I consider myself a responsible parent. Kids get hurt and if stitches are necessary they are your expense.

watergirl

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:43 pm
Why should she pay? Is this a legal daycare or
Unlicensed at her house? Truth is, if its an unlicensed playgroup at her house, she should be glad that you had to pay out of pocket because this is the type of thing that your insurance could try to go after her homeowners insurance to pay for.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:45 pm
watergirl wrote:
Unlicensed at her house? Truth is, if its an unlicensed playgroup at her house, she should be glad that you had to pay out of pocket because this is the type of thing that your insurance could try to go after her homeowners insurance to pay for.

If it is in her house, her homeowners insurance could pay. This isn't legal advice.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:46 pm
Why in the world would you expect the teacher to pay????

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:47 pm
watergirl wrote:

It’s not legal, it’s unlicensed in her basement

oliveoil

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:48 pm
I'm so confused. Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened, and it's unfortunate that it happened when you don't have insurance, but that's part of life. Kids get hurt, they need doctors and sometimes stitches, and yes, as the parent you are responsible. Why would you even think she should "chip in"?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
Why in the world would you expect the teacher to pay????

Honestly at first I didn’t expect it all all, but I was telling my neighbor about the situation and she asked me if morah offered any payment... so it got me thinking...

watergirl

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 6:58 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly at first I didn’t expect it all all, but I was telling my neighbor about the situation and she asked me if morah offered any payment... so it got me thinking...

I mean... was it the morah’s fault? Was she negligent in any way?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:16 pm
I dont see any reason Morah should pay. Just think carefully before you broach the topic with the morah about her paying. It will likely lead to a rav intervening and an uncomfortable relationship between the two of you for the rest of the year. You need to think about if you could live with that.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:

Its not totally unreasonable that your neighbor was thinking that the Morah would check her home insurance policy and see if she can make a claim for an injury that happened to your child in her house - or direct you to make a claim - however this works in your state. However for good reason - the neighbor would think that that the Morah may not want to do that... however - now thinking that you may seek out a claim against her insurance policy on your own (however this would work in your state) and how that could make trouble for her, the Morah may just give you some money out of pocket to stop you from doing that...

I'm not your neighbor. I would just let it go.

Amarante

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:48 pm
The Morah cannot make a claim on her insurance since homeowners' policies would explicitly exclude coverage for a day care center.

If you were insured, your insurance company might or might not seek reimbursement from Morah. Most claims have questions regarding how an injury occurred.

The reality is no one is going to sue anyone for a few hundred dollars and no lasting effects. An insurance company might seek reimbursement as I wrote above but that would be an administrative decision depending on how much the claim was worth to them.

However, makes one think about whether one actually should be using non-licensed people. Assuming there was an accident in which there was a terrible injury - one that was expensive or worse caused some kind of permanent disability or even a fatality. You would not be able to collect anything because the Morah's insurance policy wouldn't cover it and the Morah would be unlikely to have assets sufficient to pay a large claim. One of the requirements for a licensed facility is adequate insurance.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 7:53 pm
Amarante wrote:
The Morah cannot make a claim on her insurance since homeowners' policies would explicitly exclude coverage for a day care center.

If you were insured, your insurance company might or might not seek reimbursement from Morah. Most claims have questions regarding how an injury occurred.

The reality is no one is going to sue anyone for a few hundred dollars and no lasting effects. An insurance company might seek reimbursement as I wrote above but that would be an administrative decision depending on how much the claim was worth to them.

However, makes one think about whether one actually should be using non-licensed people. Assuming there was an accident in which there was a terrible injury - one that was expensive or worse caused some kind of permanent disability or even a fatality. You would not be able to collect anything because the Morah's insurance policy wouldn't cover it and the Morah would be unlikely to have assets sufficient to pay a large claim. One of the requirements for a licensed facility is adequate insurance.

People play games - lets leave it at that.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:05 pm
Op here. No one is sueing anyone lol. Was just curious what unspoken rule is here... do morahs take responsibility for accidents that happen under her care or not. Thanks all for replying , I will not say anything to morah.

mfb

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:08 pm
Regular schools have coverage for such things. I was told by school they have insurance in case mine won't cover a good dr. But I presume a playgroup Morah doesn't have.

mommyhood

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
If it is in her house, her homeowners insurance could pay. This isn't legal advice.

Most policies have a deductible of at least $500. Sounds like this claim wouldn't be more than that so it would be the Morah paying not her insurance.

Amarante

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
People play games - lets leave it at that.

Well yes you could lie and say the child was visiting a friend.

However if the claim is substantial, there would be an investigation and the lie might not work.

Putting aside issues of lying on signed official statements.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:25 pm
When I fell and got stitches in kindergarten my school covered the bill.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 27 2018, 8:29 pm
You say the teacher was not at all at fault. Would you ask her to pay for your doctor and medicine if your kid caught strep at playgroup?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers