Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Stitches at morah
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 12:45 am
mfb wrote:
Regular schools have coverage for such things. I was told by school they have insurance in case mine won't cover a good dr. But I presume a playgroup Morah doesn't have.

That Interesting. My friend son fell at school. Stitches were extremely expensive. No one said anything about the school covering it. I could hear if it was negligence but just running too fast on the playground?

mfb

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
That Interesting. My friend son fell at school. Stitches were extremely expensive. No one said anything about the school covering it. I could hear if it was negligence but just running too fast on the playground?

My child just tripped and hit a sharp corner. Definitely not negligence.

Harried mama

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:24 am
My son fell in gan and hit his mouth on the edge of the table and broke a few teeth. He needed extensive dental work under general anesthesia and the gan's insurance paid every cent.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:19 am
my daughter was sitting on the chair closest to her morah during circle time when she fell and needed stitches on her lip. I wouldnt have DREAMED of asking the morah to pay for it!
filing homeowners insurance is never worth the techicalities and bother if its not a significant amount, even if they would cover the cost.
As a playgroup morah myself, I would think very poorly of a mother who asked me to cover the cost if it wasn't from negligence. I put as much focus on safety as possible, but kids will be kids and it's not always in out control!
About home-based, non legal playgroups-there are plenty legal places that have insurance to cover such mishaps, but they cost alot more to cover the extra expenses. It's up to each parent to decide what kind of playgroup to send to.

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:22 am
The issue of liability for a business is complicated but it is not black and white to say it was an "accident" and so therefore the gan/morah is not responsible - or any other business in which there is an accident.

You could say that Harried Mama's child had an accident but the issue is then why did he fall - could the injury have been prevented in some way. Should the gan have tables with those kinds of edges and were they placed somewhere in a traffic path so a child was likely to hit them. The duty of care owed by a business to its customers/users can be higher especially where there are children involved because children are owed a higher standard of care than adults typically.

Even a homeowner can be sued for an "accident". My Bubbe and Zeide lived in one of the units in our two family house in Brooklyn. My Bubbe tripped over something on the property and broke her wrist - I was young so I am not sure even what it was but I think it was a metal piece that was in the middle of the little "lawn" which was used so that the oil tank could be filled - this was before my parents converted to natural gas heating so the oil truck would periodically come and fill it up. She sued my parents with my parents' blessing because it was covered by their insurance and insurance paid. It was an accident and the protrusion wasn't careless on the part of my parents and you could even argue that she should have been aware of the protrusion and why was she walking around on the grass :-).

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:42 am
I pay a fee for insurance for my children' school, (I think it's 150 a year per child.) if a child gets hurt, the school's insurance policy covers it.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:50 am
not OP, but would you change your mind if she was in a legal play group/school that had insurance, and would you say something else, if one of the kids pushed the kid who fell down and needed stitches?

Librarian

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 4:20 pm
wow wow wow no wonder there are so few playgroups in my community....

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 4:52 pm
Not the same thing at all but when I was picking up my son from daycare the parking lot was poorly maintained and my car got smacked by a sign that wasn't nailed down correctly. It caused damage to my car. I asked the owner of the property to pay for it and he refused even though legally my car got damaged because he didn't maintain the parking lot. The daycare offered to pay instead even though it wasn't their fault since I was their customer.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers