Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Downsizing possessions is exhausting but necessary for move

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:54 am
When you have lived in one house for almost 3 decades and have been married for over 4 decades, you tend to acquire things and then when it is time to move to something smaller, everything must be judged by how relevant it will be to that new life and new space.

So every time that I come on here, it means that I have taken a break from wracking my brain about how much my old high school annuals will be missed or would that gift from my parents that is no longer useful be a horribly disrespectful thing to get rid of.

I was brave and tossed out my report cards from Sunday school.

I condensed some old, falling apart photo albums into photo cubes.

I took some old pictures out of the frames and stored them in large square photo boxes.

I plan to send my brother some of our mother's art work.

I got a teenage boy to help me shlep last night.

A ger who needs seforim is coming to choose from the stuff that we don't want to take or that none of our kids wants.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 11:59 am
Good luck with the move; I know how difficult it must be.

Take some time to enjoy the memories. Take digital photos, so you can look back at things that you might want to remember, but don't want to keep.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:01 pm
I just did this this past summer
I moved from a 5 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apartment.

I put a lot of things away though. I know I still need to get rid of a lot of things.

I have 15 vases.
Who needs 15 vases
Which do I keep which do I give out.

I have tons of tablecloths that don’t fit my new table
I have tons of linen that don’t fit my current beds

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:02 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Good luck with the move; I know how difficult it must be.

Take some time to enjoy the memories. Take digital photos, so you can look back at things that you might want to remember, but don't want to keep.

Some of the "kids" (adults with families BH) are missing "home" already and want me to take pictures of every room. Some want to come back for one last visit to the old homestead. Digital photos are a good idea and as I am sorting stuff, it does bring back memories!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I just did this this past summer
I moved from a 5 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apartment.

I put a lot of things away though. I know I still need to get rid of a lot of things.

I have 15 vases.
Who needs 15 vases
Which do I keep which do I give out.

I have tons of tablecloths that don’t fit my new table
I have tons of linen that don’t fit my current beds

I have taken lots of stuff to a recycling plant. I still have to decide what to do with all that stuff such as tablecloths, linens, and vases. I will probably invite people to take whatever I am not taking. One DIL already warned me that they don't want the job of sorting this stuff after my 120 years on earth are over. (May Moshiach come today!)

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:08 pm
I am also downsizing. We have too much stuff. We claimed back storage areas to useful space. I need to get rid of things piled up.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:12 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I have taken lots of stuff to a recycling plant. I still have to decide what to do with all that stuff such as tablecloths, linens, and vases. I will probably invite people to take whatever I am not taking. One DIL already warned me that they don't want the job of sorting this stuff after my 120 years on earth are over. (May Moshiach come today!)

This is true. After seeing my mother's and mother inlaw's house cleaned after shiva, I really try to throw out my extra stuff myself. Nobody needs anything anyway.
Question-how do you manage downsizing emotionally? Are you staying in the same neighborhood?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:13 pm
thought you might find this interesting
https://www.realsimple.com/hom.....eview

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:23 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
This is true. After seeing my mother's and mother inlaw's house cleaned after shiva, I really try to throw out my extra stuff myself. Nobody needs anything anyway.
Question-how do you manage downsizing emotionally? Are you staying in the same neighborhood?

Moving I"Y"H" from Detroit to Monsey and this is estimated for December or January. I have moved before so I am expecting a period of adjustment. Much of the stuff that I am throwing out has been sitting in the basement unused for years.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
thought you might find this interesting
https://www.realsimple.com/hom.....eview

This article says something that I think is very true; children play with toys more if there are fewer of them.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 4:42 pm
I hope you will be very happy there !!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 4:57 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Moving I"Y"H" from Detroit to Monsey and this is estimated for December or January. I have moved before so I am expecting a period of adjustment. Much of the stuff that I am throwing out has been sitting in the basement unused for years.

Monsey is great! Let us know if us Imamothers can help with any questions about monsey. Good luck with packing.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
Monsey is great! Let us know if us Imamothers can help with any questions about monsey. Good luck with packing.

Thanks! I am probably going to need to take you up on that.

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:10 pm
We are just starting the process of downsizing from a house full of stuff and memories as we work towards the goal of aliyah. It's overwhelming!

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:18 pm
Family first had instructions on how to downsize, this week

rgr

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:52 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I guess your basement didn't get flooded in that flood a couple of years ago?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:56 pm
rgr wrote:
I guess your basement didn't get flooded in that flood a couple of years ago?

It was flooded. It happened 4 years ago and we were out of town for my son's wedding. During sheva brachas, the new couple and my DIL's mother came and got everything out of the basement. The mechataneste is a real organized lady and ordered the new couple to throw out lots of stuff but there was still lots left.

Then 2 years ago, I had severe black mold as a result of the flood and I couldn't be in the house at all until it was remedied and lots more stuff was disposed of.

So you wonder what could have still been down there. Still lots of stuff, mainly books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating