Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Info on EmPower NYC Program?

aprildiamond

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 7:59 pm
Hi, I am looking for information/personal experiences regarding the EmPower NY Program. EmPower New York provides no-cost energy efficiency solutions to income-eligible New Yorkers. Has anyone participated? What sort of things did they do around your house?

aprildiamond

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:14 am
bump

aprildiamond

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 5:08 pm
bump, anyone?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 5:16 pm
I don't know if my friend used the EmPower program specifically, but she signed up for such a program for low income homeowners and received a lot of help like a highly discounted hot water tank that she didn't know was about to bust, lightbulbs and such.

aprildiamond

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:18 pm
Thank you

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:52 pm
We used empower. They come down to check what needs to get done, then they send in a proposal and if approved they come.
They insulated our whole house, outside walls, attic, all the windows, changed lightbulbs, cleaned the boiler, don't remember what else they did.

aprildiamond

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
We used empower. They come down to check what needs to get done, then they send in a proposal and if approved they come.
They insulated our whole house, outside walls, attic, all the windows, changed lightbulbs, cleaned the boiler, don't remember what else they did.

Thanks for the detailed response. Do you remember how long it took from proposal till approval?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:05 pm
They did work for us, then due to some whole complicated situation, they pulled the grant after they did the work and sued us , complete with process servers!
We filled it all out legally, we qualified. They did many inspections and about a year after the work was done, they didn't like something and sued us.
We saw the bills as they legally had too and saw they charged the Gov't double the amount it should have been and threatened to counter sue.
Was settled for half the original bill.
In hindsight, it cost us the same amount it would have cost to get our own workers!

aprildiamond

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
They did work for us, then due to some whole complicated situation, they pulled the grant after they did the work and sued us , complete with process servers!
We filled it all out legally, we qualified. They did many inspections and about a year after the work was done, they didn't like something and sued us.
We saw the bills as they legally had too and saw they charged the Gov't double the amount it should have been and threatened to counter sue.
Was settled for half the original bill.
In hindsight, it cost us the same amount it would have cost to get our own workers!

Yikes...this is exactly what I am worried about.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 7:40 am
We actually first got a Jewish company to make the proposal, they put in that we need central AC and lots of over charged stuff etc etc. We never got approved, and whenever we asked them the status they said it takes a few months, the government is backlogged etc. At some point my husband found a non Jewish company and they came down, made a proper proposal, and we got approved within 2 weeks..
I'm not writing this to bash Jewish/non Jewish, but the story above makes me think that this could have been a reason why we got approved through a different place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries