Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Chafetz Chayim l'ilui nishmat the Kedoshim of Pittsburgh

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:00 pm
Let's stop the arguing and start something worthwhile.

Here is a link to the Chafetz Chayim.

Whose with me?

Perhaps today we could learn opening comments. Have a look and see if you can make a comment on the introduction. It's quite long.

https://www.sefaria.org/Chofet.....ng=bi

(edited twice for typos)

Last edited by MitzadSheini on Mon, Oct 29 2018, 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:23 pm
First a tefilah - Mau Hashem bless this endeavour with success, may we all learn well and may whatever I and everyone posts here be an accurate representation of the Torah.

Ok so a couple of points to get us started. He begins by reminding us that the Second Beit HaMikdash was destroyed because of Sinat Chinam, and that this was caused by Lashon Hara. And that the destruction was actually pre- ordained way earlier with the sin of the spies, which was itself an act of Lashon Hara.

He also points out that Lashon Hara magnifies other sins. This rang true to me- have you ever had a little kid come and tell you "she said (a rude word)". See how it makes the original aveira magnified in the world? I never thought of it like that before . As in if I say "X did an evil thing" it is as if I am magnifying the effect if the evil deed in the world. Scary.

So that's little on the first bit of the intro. Might enough for today.

Please add your comments.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:36 pm
Beautiful. Thank you for trying to do something positive to unite all of Hashems children.
The merit of this learning should elevate the souls of those murdered, cure those who are sick, and comfort those who are grieving.

animeme

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:57 pm
The Chofetz Chayim talks about enumerating all the points and details of each thing that is said, allowing us to know everything (including all the aveiros) that is involved, which can help us not to do it. This is a good lesson in and of itself. So many times, we react and d and say without thinking through what is involved. We take something at first impression, or somebody's account as automatic full truth. We need to stop and think before we react or speak. Our daas, along with our koach hadibur, makes us human. We need to use them together.

Thank you for starting this.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:36 pm
I thank you for the votes of support. I'm only reading this material and commenting on what I see. Please do the same.

Continuing on with the Preface (this section may be a little out of his original order due to scrolling problems. See below.)

He says that many people are killed because of the aveira of Lashon Hara. And that if we did teshuva for this then Moshiach would come.

That the hard labour in Egypt was caused by us being divided into factions which was caused by Lashon Hara.

That most people so not realize that Lashon Hara is prohibited even when it is true. And believing it is also prohibited, not just speaking it. And that people so not know how to make amends if they have transgressed.

That by speaking Lashon Hara one accustoms him/herself to the averia and doesn't even realise that they are doing something wrong. The the higher worlds are really affected by this aveira and that it puts a block between us and Hashem.

Ok enough for now. Any comments?

(I'm having trouble with scrolling the text in this version. Plus it seems to only have the introduction here but not the rest of the sefer. If someone could post another link to the sefer I would be very grateful. Thanks).

ETA 28 hours later: As I am having a great deal of difficulty with the text scrolling back on itself and besides I cannot locate online a copy of the sefer and although I own a children's version of the sefer and the fact that this thread does not seem particularly popular I'll take this all as a sign that I am not really qualified to take on this task so I shall quietly let this thread peter out and continue learning on my own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics