Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
My children's school is closing.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:25 am
Found out yesterday that they'll probably not be open next year or at least the grades of my elementary children. There are other schools around, but we don't really want to send them to them for a variety of reasons. I was thinking of homeschooling them, but since I can't exactly do it, I would hire a teacher to do it. One will be in 4th grade and the other in 6th. both boys. I don't know if it's possible, but I would like to ask some questions just in case it is and know some basics to find out and do. Okay, that sentence made no sense, maybe I should have the teacher Rolling Eyes .

Anywho...I would need a secular and hebrew teacher. How many hours each do you think I'll need? How long should a break be? Do you think it's neccesary for every day or only 4 times a week? Any other things that I can't think of? Thank you for any information you can give me.

I want them to be accredited, so I would have the teacher take care of that because I can't.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:39 pm
Honestly it's my belief that you need fewer hours for homeschooling because there isn't the downtime of getting to know each other activities, classroom expectation activities, goof off time, time spent teaching things that your kids already know--- and the fun stuff that school offers I assume you would consider offering outside of your formal schooling "hours"--- music lessons, art class, "gym" (sports team or going to the gym with the kids), etc.

I would likely do 2-3 hours a day of limudei kodesh and 2-3 hours a day of limudei chol and probably hire a teacher just 4 of those days and take the 5th day to do enrichment activities myself based on the teachers' curricula.

Are you at work all day, or home to answer questions from the teacher about their levels and how they learn best, etc?

rgr

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:12 pm
How about having them join the Chabad online school?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:04 am
I don't have any answers but I just wanted to reach out and say how tough that must be!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:56 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
Honestly it's my belief that you need fewer hours for homeschooling because there isn't the downtime of getting to know each other activities, classroom expectation activities, goof off time, time spent teaching things that your kids already know--- and the fun stuff that school offers I assume you would consider offering outside of your formal schooling "hours"--- music lessons, art class, "gym" (sports team or going to the gym with the kids), etc.

I would likely do 2-3 hours a day of limudei kodesh and 2-3 hours a day of limudei chol and probably hire a teacher just 4 of those days and take the 5th day to do enrichment activities myself based on the teachers' curricula.

Are you at work all day, or home to answer questions from the teacher about their levels and how they learn best, etc?

Thank you and I am at home all day, so that wouldn't be a problem. Right now the problem is seeing if the kids would get a diploma. They allow homeschooling, but I don't know if they give it credit.

Since I plan on sending them to the states for high school, I would have to call of up schools there to see if they would take them without it or check international homeschooling with a base of the US. Anyone know if there is such a thing?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
I don't have any answers but I just wanted to reach out and say how tough that must be!

Thank you, it is. 4 months to decide. School is over soon and starts again in March.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling