Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you converted, how did you choose your name?
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:52 am
There are alot of names in Torah & Tenach which are used in some communities & not at all in others. If someone wants to fit in, it would be wise to choose names that are accepted in the community they associate/live in. Otherwise, they have the same problem of standing out with some odd Jewish name as their secular name.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:42 am
I chose a name that starts with the same letter as my English name.

I was also careful to pick a name that's parve and can blend in in any community (I.e. I wouldn't have chosen a name like Michal that isn't given in more chassidish communities but also wouldn't have chosen a yiddishe name like Sheindy).

I also looked for a name that would be easy to pronounce by non-Jews (so no ches in the name).

Finally, I picked a name from one of the first parts of Tenach that I studied when I just started my journey to Judaism so it was particularly meaningful to me.

ggdm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:04 am
chicco wrote:
Just to point out there's a tanna by the name Yishmael in the mishna...

I know. But that was before Islam.
I actually really like the name and would love to name my kid Yishmael - but not going to happen.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:14 am
ggdm wrote:
I actually really like the name and would love to name my kid Yishmael - but not going to happen.

Shmuel is pretty close.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:24 am
ggdm wrote:

The friction already started with the first Ishmael the forefather of the Muslims.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:51 am
My English names starts with an M but I didn't feel any M Hebrew name fit me. So I checked into Torah personalities that would fit me. I chose Yocheved because of her connections to being a strong mother and midwife and I am part of the "birth and babies" profession. And I actually chose the female version of my husband's name as my middle name in honor of him and him bringing me to Torah.

ggdm

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:10 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Shmuel is pretty close.
Yes, but I don't like it so much.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:20 am
Elishama
That said I have a friend who used Yishmael iirc

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 8:22 pm
I chose two names: the first "Rochel", based on "Rachel", and the second, "Keshet", because of the obvious meaning and because I like rainbows, to replace "Kristen" -- I wanted the same first letter.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 10:12 pm
My second name ( that I did not go by) was a biblical name, so I took that as my first Hebrew name. As for my second I chose my favorite role model from tanach.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics