Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Spending Money for Student in Israel

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:03 pm
Hi,
Trying to get an idea for the right amount of spending money a 16 year old would need
In Israel each week. The yeshiva is providing him with food dorm and transportation... so this is to cover the extras on off days and personal items...

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:17 pm
Is this a kid who grew up in israel but is just dorming or someone who is in israel and far from home?
(hard to tell by your OP)

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:23 pm
Sorry about that...
He's from the USA. There for the year...

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry about that...
He's from the USA. There for the year...
so really just an 11th grader in high school? I would think not that much at all if he has all that you say he has paid for. I dont think a guy who has food, housing and transportation paid for really needs all that much every week. Maybe a few hundred shekels a month for odds and ends.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:00 pm
I would think something like $100 a month but it really depends. My daughter was there for high school and she didn't spend much but she also took with a lot of stuff with from home like toiletries, detergent, clothing so didn't need to spend much there. (she came home a few times during the year) She needed money for travelling for shabbos, and fun stuff like occasionally eating out. If she needed extra for clothing or whatever I gave her more.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:53 pm
I'm not sure it would be considered "High School" as this is a more of a yeshiva for boys not within the regular system... he is being sent about $80 weekly as the yeshiva does allow the boys out time to "chill"
It sounds on the high side to me... do these type of boys require more money and it should be given to keep him content?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
I'm not sure it would be considered "High School" as this is a more of a yeshiva for boys not within the regular system... he is being sent about $80 weekly as the yeshiva does allow the boys out time to "chill"
It sounds on the high side to me... do these type of boys require more money and it should be given to keep him content?
YOu write "these" type of boys. I dont think any of us can ansswer that as we dont know specifically what that means.
I think 80 dollars a week is just fine. Thats around 240 shekels and if he has his food and transportation paid for, its really just odds and ends and he wont need things every week.

blessedjmom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:04 am
As someone living in Israel that sees American bochurim here... id say too much $$ is not a good thing for boys.
Blessings for a successful year!

Ruchi

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:13 am
Too much money is a bad idea. At this stage in life, the boys need to be taught to live with a cheshbon and if they have too much money to splurge on, it will never teach them how to budget properly.

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:21 am
I would say to make a budget with him, let him develop the budget over 2 months or so which gives him an idea of what he needs. Toiletries, occasional pizza, falafel, recreation, etc.
I don't think a 16 year old needs to be eating in fancy restaurants and it seems that most of his needs are taken care of.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:06 am
In seminary, I had a budget of 500 shekel a month. It allowed me have a good time, while budgeting carefully. While I could see someone going up to 700 shekel a month, more than that seems extravagant.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:08 am
$80 a week sounds a lot. I have sons in yeshiva too (not in Israel) and they spend very little.

How much downtime do they have?

I think in this case maybe suggest $50 a week.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:49 am
Rappel wrote:
In seminary, I had a budget of 500 shekel a month. It allowed me have a good time, while budgeting carefully. While I could see someone going up to 700 shekel a month, more than that seems extravagant.
Rappwl, shekels? And this was enough for transportation and anything else you would need? Thats amazing, unless, like myself, you were in sem 20 years ago Smile

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:06 am
[quote="shabbatiscoming"]YOu write "these" type of boys. I dont think any of us can answer that as we dont know specifically what that means.

Referring to Boys who come from difficult backgrounds may have been out of Yeshiva previously and Maybe some out on the streets...
So now that they are in a "yeshiva" environment are they entitled/deserve more than the average kid... or even just for the parents own peace of mind that if they give them generously it will keep them in the right frame of mind and within the system...

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Rappwl, shekels? And this was enough for transportation and anything else you would need? Thats amazing, unless, like myself, you were in sem 20 years ago Smile

Lol, thanks Shabbat! It was 2013. I did walk a lot, but I had fun while doing it.

Since OP's yeshiva boy has transportation taken care of, he'd have the opportunity to do plenty on that kind of budget, without fear of missing out.

Things I didn't do on that budget: eat out often, take taxis everywhere, impulse buy, or buy alcohol. At the time I chafed a little when other girls went out on nightly flings, but in retrospect, I don't think I missed much.

Things I did do on that budget: go out 2-3 Shabbatot a month, go walking and hiking with my friends a lot, meet a lot of cool people, discover lots of cool places around the old city, visit tourist attractions all around Yerushalayim, attend the moshav mavo music festival and other similar activities, volunteer a lot, become a native in the shuk (mehadrin only, of course), and I even managed to save enough to buy a bunch of presents for people I love toward the end of the year.

You really don't need a lot of money to have a great time in Israel. You just need to be open to the experience. Smile

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:36 am
[quote="amother"]
shabbatiscoming wrote:
YOu write "these" type of boys. I dont think any of us can answer that as we dont know specifically what that means.

Referring to Boys who come from difficult backgrounds may have been out of Yeshiva previously and Maybe some out on the streets...
So now that they are in a "yeshiva" environment are they entitled/deserve more than the average kid... or even just for the parents own peace of mind that if they give them generously it will keep them in the right frame of mind and within the system...

First off- in such a case I would discuss with the ppl that are involved in his case and trust their advice. If the yeshiva suggests 80$ that’s means that’s what the other boys have and u don’t want him to be left out.

My brother is struggling in many ways (although Bh has an amazing relationship with parents and family) he has adhd with a host of other issues. My parents give him a specific amount each week, so he learns to be responsible-but it’s very generous so that he doesn’t have to struggle with that too. He knows he can easily buy a slice of pizza now and then but if he wants nice sneakers or a weekend with friends he has to calculate it. If he gets a ticket he pays.

I think it’s better than giving him the minimum and having him feel like a failure AGAIN for not managing with what he is given.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:31 pm
My parents gave $150 a month when we were in seminary/yeshiva. For me it was plenty. I took a lot of busses, did low key trips for days off and spent some money on snacks and food to supplement what the school provided. I also had to buy some seforim and clothing during the year and did not come home for Pesach. I spent way more that month but it balanced out.
If he has minimal free time he'll need less.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children