Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can I sign wrong?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:41 pm
zaq wrote:
You didn’t really just ask a forum of FRUM women if it’s ok to lie, did you? Because that’s what you really asked. You used the word CAN but that’s not what you meant.

CAN you lie? Of course. Very few people over the age of two or so are incapable of lying. You can also eat tref, work on Shabbos, cheat on your taxes and run red lights in your car.

But if you want your children to be honest law abiding citizens and frum Jews, you won’t do it. What kind of message do you think lying is going to send to your children? And for such a thing! Not because abiding by school rules will leave you without parnassah, threaten your health, or tear your family apart, but because you are unwilling to give up your favorite form of entertainment.

What will you tell your children when in a recess time discussion they mention that you saw something on YouTube and their friends tell them YouTube is against the school rules? Or, worse, they say this in class and the teacher tells them? Will you say “Yes we lied but it’s ok to lie if you disagree with the policy”? Why should your future- teenage daughter not lie to you about attending a party at which there were boys and underage drinking, since she disagrees with your policy forbidding this sort of activity?

If you refuse to give up your YouTube, maybe this schoolIsn’t for you. Find a school that won’t tempt you to lie.

I agree that lying is wrong, but the schools behavior is equally wrong here. You don't issue a new edict on parents mid-year. You ask for a signed contract before services not rendered, not force a change in the contract midway.

And the school is also in the wrong for asking this of the parents. They can ask that the kids not be allowed to use YouTube, but I still cannot understand where the school has the authority to demands things of the parents. We parents have our own Ravs who advise and guide us. When we took upon ourselves a Rav, Aseh Lechu Rav, it was exactly that. It was a Rav, not a school board or principal. So now, we need to take upon ourselves two Ravs, one being the school, and the other the one I have selected? And how does it work, does the school take precedence over my Rav, or the other way???

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 5:56 pm
Miri7 wrote:
I don't think any school would want me to avoid youtube - honestly, it's the only way that my DD, who loves her long, long, hair, doesn't walk around with a rat's nest. Youtube is where I learned to do french braids, fish tail braids, dutch braids....

Would you be willing to share a link? DD walks around with a bird's nest and she'd be happy to learn via youtube. Thanks!

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
Would you be willing to share a link? DD walks around with a bird's nest and she'd be happy to learn via youtube. Thanks!

I too would love a link please! To youtube or other LOL
DD 10 has rats nests!! (that's what we call them in my house).

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:05 pm
Gotta love those clueless posters on their high horses who haven’t got a clue.
I don’t know one Yeshivish or chassidish school that doesn’t require such signatures. Do you?
So does op, and everyone else who sends to those schools, have to radically change her lifestyle so as to Chas vesholom not to lie? Really? Would you?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:02 pm
I don't sign contracts mid-year. Sorry. They can ask me to sign for NEXT year, but not for this year.
So sorry they sprang this onto you. It sucks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics