Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Switched to simple phone, need chizuk
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 11:34 am
I have an app called Quality Time, I haven't used it that much but it seems to work better on my new phone so I'm giving it another try. It allows you to set time limits, gives you notifications if you're spending too much time on certain apps (you set the apps and the times) and has modes to limit certain apps at certain times.

Pretty sure you can do some of that through regular phone settings but I haven't yet mastered the art of things like "do not disturb" mode. That's basically what I use Quality Time for.

Queen6

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 12:17 pm
I did it and have never looked back! At this point I don’t know how people live with a smart phone... it’s so distracting it’s a full time job! You made the right choice. Your focus and clarity will be so much better!
Keep it up.

blossoming

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:01 pm
Op, you can't imagine how much hashem values every second of your sacrifice. Whenever you feel that pang of hardship - I know the feeling, take advantage to daven for yourself or somebody else who needs a yeshua. It's also the biggest comfort, istead of cringing for example at a gathering with constant reminders of what you may be missing out on.

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:08 pm
Good for you! Your kids will be better off for the extra attention going to them instead of to your phone!

Chaya123

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:21 pm
Wow, kol hakavod to you! This is my dream! I dream of the day that I won't need a smartphone anymore. I was given one by work and therefore use it for personal use as well, although with strong filter and limited but always feel bad and guilty about it. You're so lucky!

Sleepymama

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:47 pm
Thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction for time limits for the internet on my phone. I will look into these options - I knew it had to exist, but everyone I asked just shrugged their shoulders. I knew I can't be the only person who wants this. Thanks OP, it will be in your zechus if I end up working this out Hug

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 1:52 pm
Rappel wrote:
I actually desperately want to switch to a simple phone, or no phone at all, but I live in Israel while all my family is in the states, and we use WhatsApp to stay close.

But I wish I could.

I was thinking the same. Most of the apps I need can easily transfer to an iPad. However, I use WhatsApp a lot to keep in touch with family and friends. I don’t consider that a time wasting app at all- most people are not forwarding random things unless it’s an applicable meme.

Motherhood

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:31 pm
I did it almost 2 yrs ago. I won’t say I didn’t miss certain conveniences that a smartphone has, but nothing so detrimental... I’m doing very well with a cheap tablet and simple phone. I make sure not to feel deprived. I have WhatsApp on my tablet and take it out only when I have time for it. Looking back, it’s no big deal. I wish my husband would do it too!

mom18

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:57 pm
Can I still have whatsapp on my tablet connected to my cell phone number if I get rid of my smart phone and get a flip phone?

Motherhood

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:12 pm
Yes you can

bzmom.

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:20 pm
mom18 wrote:
Can I still have whatsapp on my tablet connected to my cell phone number if I get rid of my smart phone and get a flip phone?

OP here, yes you can. My DH installed it on tablet. I'm actually enjoying not seeing messages all day and come evening I respond fully focused to each one. Also one of my biggest time wasting apps was YouTube- so I'm happy I don't have access to it most of the day. It's definitely hard what with instant shopping etc amazon but I have access at home in the evening when my kids are sleeping so I think it'll be manageable.

Last night I had simcha can't say it wasn't hard watching my family/ friends on their smartphones and me with my basic one...

Thanks for all the chizuk you guys, it means a lot . I also have my DH's full support cos he changed couple years ago.

mom18

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:38 pm
Thank you

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 8:39 pm
Good for you OP! I had a simple phone until my boss requested I get emails to my phone and that's when I got my smartphone. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!!
I'm hoping that you were mechazek me enough and I may be following in your footsteps very soon.

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 10:17 pm
Motherhood wrote:
Yes you can
Really? How?I tried it and it looked like it required you to scan your iPhone or something.

flippingout18!

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 11:52 pm
Wow good for you! What phone did you switch to? I know of people that have two phones.... a smart phone for the house with whatsapp and email to stay connected to family but during the day they use a kosher phone. Btw what qualifies as a kosher phone? Anything but an iphone?

bzmom.

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:35 am
frumnflipping wrote:
Wow good for you! What phone did you switch to? I know of people that have two phones.... a smart phone for the house with whatsapp and email to stay connected to family but during the day they use a kosher phone. Btw what qualifies as a kosher phone? Anything but an iphone?

This is what I have done so far. My goal is to get rid of it completely but for now I only use it at home in the eve. I'm usually out most of the day so for me that's a biggie.
I got myself a nokia 301, it has lots of contacts space and text, that's it! the sound quality is just as good.

bzmom.

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:37 am
runninglate wrote:
Really? How?I tried it and it looked like it required you to scan your iPhone or something.

I think you have to create a proxy, so that you install WhatsApp on a proxy phone.

flippingout18!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 6:39 pm
What do you ladies do about waze and torahanytime app? That is what I will miss the most.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:02 pm
bzmom. wrote:
Hi
I've recently gone through a hard time and decided to make a big change in my life. I had a Samsung S8 and switched to a kosher simple, no internet phone.
I'm looking for any ladies who have done this and can give me some chizuk that it'll get easier..
Mostly I'm gonna miss instant searches , maps, auto pics uploads & WhatsApp...email, banking on the move.
Pls if you don't understand, do not comment that you think I'm nuts.

I really admire you! I wish I was at that level! Hatzlacha and stay strong! You’re going to get unbelievable s’char.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics