Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Pls tell me about camp Bais Yaakov
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
YES, great question (I'm OP)!!!!

Who can speak to this question??

Thank you so much, everyone!!

People say that first half is more "in-towny" and 2nd half is more "OOT".

My very lively DD that prefers a more diverse group of friends, enjoyed the two summers she went 2nd half more. Last year she decided she might be missing out on life not ever going to camp first half, so she switched halves...and though she had a good time, she regretted the switch in retrospect. Had she gone back this year (she has decided she's done) she definitely would choose 2nd half.

For the poster who asked, the camp is run by the Newhouse family. The real director, I think, is Mrs. Brocha Beeber (a married daughter of R' Shimon Newhouse z"tzl).

CBY does have an assortment of rules, some of which are followed more than others....all in the letters. For example, in the rules it says that nightgowns are encouraged for sleepwear. Um. I don't think my girls even own any. But they will pull on a slinky when walking around....

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 3:43 pm
Does anyone who has sent have an email address for them? That they respond to?

Thank you!

Inspire

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:49 pm
Just wanted to add my 2 cents....my daughter, (OOT, Bais yaakov school) although she is a good student and loves her school, it is not an exaggeration to say she practically lives for her summers at this camp.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 2:31 am
Best camp ever!!!!! Boring?? Not in my book!! I went here growing up and so did a lot of my family members and are continuing to go...
This is THE machane!
They do have rules like every other camp would have but needless to say they are more easy going then many other yeshivish camps. The staff is amazing !!!
The best years are the tc years grades 9 and 10.

whirlwind

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 5:57 pm
Can anyone tell me what the youngest age is in camp bais yaakov?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
YES, great question (I'm OP)!!!!

Who can speak to this question??

Thank you so much, everyone!!

In my days, about ten years ago this is how it was:

First half- much more Lakewood Brooklyn crowd
Second half- much more of a mix mix. Lots of nice OOTers too!

I went second half and liked the crowd much better.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:39 pm
whirlwind wrote:

I think going into 3rd or 4th grade, don't remember though. It's a very small age group...

mamaroo

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:49 pm
I went to the camp as a TC and I loved it. I had tons of fun

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:00 pm
whirlwind wrote:

The youngest sleepaway camper is out of 6th grade and it's a small group in the bunkhouse because most of the kids that age are staff kids. Unlike years past, they don't take younger sleepaway campers anymore. 7th grade and up is when the real fun starts.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:14 pm
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to send here for a half? And do they have some sort of scholarship?
thanks!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to send here for a half? And do they have some sort of scholarship?
thanks!

The asking price is more expensive than the average camp but people get scholarships. IIRC, $2450 for first half and $2350 for second half. Not sure about full summer. The application has an option to request a scholarship application.

If you're sending her for the first time, try to get her in for first half. It's harder to get in but it's much more fun than second half.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 5:58 am
I went to CBY for 9 years and I loved it (last time was 3 years ago). I looked forward to it the whole year. I would say it is a "yeshivish" camp which also has tons of OOT girls so its a huge mix of all different types. I would not recommend it to a girl who has a hard time keeping rules (they are strict about tznius and coming on time to davening and activities). BTW I think they took away the cap sleeves rule recently (the point was when it came out it was considered less tznius but now that its fully accepted its ok). In general though they are relaxed about a lot of things (kitchen is very open, grounds are not all locked in, family always welcome to visit). The general atmosphere is a ton of fun very lively. They have lots of great activities - including sports and non-sports. Meals have tons of music and doing camp songs... I had a great group of girls who I really learned a lot from. I loved that it was so much fun and also what to gain spiritually - not a peep in shul on shabbos with 400 girls in the room, tehillim in the lobby for spare minutes, shabbos singing, etc. Grounds and landscaping are beautiful. When I think back to camp I remember this feeling of being so relaxed and happy (no phone, in beautiful camp bubble). BTW I think they are good about scholarships - according to what you can afford. They definitely take girls who cannot really afford camp. They camp is family run which makes a really homey feeling.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children