Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm a high school principal. Ask me anything!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:39 am
I thought some people here might have some questions they wouldn't otherwise get an opportunity to ask.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:43 am
If you're in Lakewood then I definitely have questions!! Or do you prefer not to say?

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:43 am
Can you make room in your system for the non academics to shine in other areas? Ty

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:44 am
Would you be even slightly more reluctant to suspend the daughter of a wealthy parent who is the biggest donor to the school?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:47 am
groisamomma wrote:
If you're in Lakewood then I definitely have questions!! Or do you prefer not to say?

I'd rather not give any identifying details. Thanks for understanding!

Notsobusy

groisamomma wrote:

I really hope she's not in Lakewood, it would be the height of hypocrisy to have a Lakewood high school principal on Imamother.

ila

What do you do to help the less academic advanced kids?

omega3

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:49 am
How did you get your position?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Would you be even slightly more reluctant to suspend the daughter of a wealthy parent who is the biggest donor to the school?
ditto and would you be more hesitant to share any negative info when asked for shidduch info.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:50 am
What are some reasons you might reject a tuition paying student?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:52 am
happyone wrote:
Can you make room in your system for the non academics to shine in other areas? Ty

By now, I think most high schools have moved in that direction and put a lot of effort into finding areas for each student to shine. From what I see though, since school is a place in which students spend their time primarily engaged in academics, those for whom this is difficult still walk around feeling unsuccessful.

I think that although it is important to incorporate non academic activities where students can feel good about themselves, it is equally important to come up with ways for weaker students to be able to perform and feel good about themselves academically.

ssss1

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:53 am
How do you deal with the stress, anxiety...?

keym

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:53 am
What do you do for the more academic students besides busy work? Is this a real conversation or is it pushed under the rug?
I see with some of my brighter children. If I mention that they are bored in class so turning into a discipline problem (in elementary school) they are given busy work to do ( like copy over all the pesukim and rashis they are learning).
I see a lot of awareness for lower academics and learning disabled (modified tests, assistance, etc). What is being done for higher academics?

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:58 am
keym wrote:
What do you do for the more academic students besides busy work? Is this a real conversation or is it pushed under the rug?
I see with some of my brighter children. If I mention that they are bored in class so turning into a discipline problem (in elementary school) they are given busy work to do ( like copy over all the pesukim and rashis they are learning).
I see a lot of awareness for lower academics and learning disabled (modified tests, assistance, etc). What is being done for higher academics?

This
This was me in school and I ended up underachieving. I’m worried for my kids.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:58 am
amother wrote:

Suspension is not really a punishment that is used often. In order to suspend a student, we would have to have a really strong, valid reason, which would be backed up by a paper trail showing other interventions and methods tried. We would have to be able to clearly demonstrate to the board why this step was necessary.

Yes, the board might give us a harder time if the parents are more influential, but if we were already up to such strong measures, we would probably suspend a student at that point either way.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:59 am
You are a highschool principal. Can you please break down exactly what your job description is and what does it entail? What do you expect out of yourself? And what do you think the parents expect out of you? Are you able to live up to all these expectations ?What is the most satisfying part of your job?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:00 pm
ila wrote:
What do you do to help the less academic advanced kids?

Can you please clarify what you are asking? Thanks!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:02 pm
Keym, not to hijack this thread, but this was me in school and I definitely suffered emotionally from not having my needs addressed. However, your daughter is in high school now, and she is at an age where she should be learning to self advocate and find ways to meet her own needs.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:02 pm
omega3 wrote:
How did you get your position?

Taught high school for many years. Also mentored many new teachers and found that I was very successful doing so. I found both really satisfying.

Someone who knew me, and knew the school with the job opening, put is together. Like a shidduch!

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:03 pm
Where do you think bright, borderline/ high functioning girls with Aspergers should be in high school? Would you consider taking one if the parents wanted to work with you?

Also, how do the girls' jobs get decided?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics