Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is this possible?
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:15 pm
Is it possible to lengthen a flair bottomed dress by adding a piece to the bottom?

The dress is one piece, flair hem, lace overlay. Since the part to be lengthened is lace, it would need a solid piece, maybe black satin? I'm wondering if that would work or if it's even possible.

The dress is similar to this. I appreciate any and all suggestions or advice!

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro.....96598

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
Is it possible to lengthen a flair bottomed dress by adding a piece to the bottom?

The dress is one piece, flair hem, lace overlay. Since the part to be lengthened is lace, it would need a solid piece, maybe black satin? I'm wondering if that would work or if it's even possible.

The dress is similar to this. I appreciate any and all suggestions or advice!

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro.....96598

I did something like that. I added the same material as the lining (which was satin).

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:22 pm
Why not add similar lace?

penguin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:26 pm
One thing you might do is add another color lace to the bottom and wear a shell in that color. It might look better than adding black lace which will be very difficult to match.

However no ideas will work unless you have (or are) a very good seamstress. I am pretty sure that you need to add the lining with the correct bias to match what's there in order for it to lie properly. (Or do I mean lay?)

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:27 pm
Thank you Ra mom and smile!!
Ramom I was afraid if the material is similar but not the same it might look off? I don't know I'm not good at this

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you Ra mom and smile!!
Ramom I was afraid if the material is similar but not the same it might look off? I don't know I'm not good at this

Take it with you to the shop and see which material looks best.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Take it with you to the shop and see which material looks best.

Thank you, I think that's what I'll do! Smile

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:40 pm
penguin wrote:
One thing you might do is add another color lace to the bottom and wear a shell in that color. It might look better than adding black lace which will be very difficult to match.

However no ideas will work unless you have (or are) a very good seamstress. I am pretty sure that you need to add the lining with the correct bias to match what's there in order for it to lie properly. (Or do I mean lay?)

That's a very interesting idea, to have a diff color shell, thank you Penguin!

Do you mind to explain a little more what you wrote about needing the lining to lie or lay properly? I was planning to take it to a seamstress, I can't do this myself! But I would bring her the material to add

OutATowner

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:44 pm
If not black, then I would say add cream material to the bottom, and then get a cream shell with the bow on the top (you tie it and it goes over the dress a bit).

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:50 pm
OutATowner wrote:
If not black, then I would say add cream material to the bottom, and then get a cream shell with the bow on the top (you tie it and it goes over the dress a bit).

I love this idea, thank you outatowner! I was kind of thinking of cream, but black seemed safer. But I will compare with cream too. Do you think satin material or lace?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:01 pm
Since the lining is what you will be adding on to is covered by the lace, it doesn’t have to match perfectly. I think a black satin would look nice. If you add some satin elsewhere it will pull it together more.
But it is a lot to add. Normally I’m asked to up to 5" which is a nice colorblock. More may not come out as well.
Though if you were to add another sheer fabric an lengthen the lining, it may work if you were to add flutter sleeves.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:32 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Since the lining is what you will be adding on to is covered by the lace, it doesn’t have to match perfectly. I think a black satin would look nice. If you add some satin elsewhere it will pull it together more.
But it is a lot to add. Normally I’m asked to up to 5" which is a nice colorblock. More may not come out as well.
Though if you were to add another sheer fabric an lengthen the lining, it may work if you were to add flutter sleeves.

Wait, so I was thinking to add onto the lace, but because it's sheer, to also extend out the lining. Do you think it's ok to only extend out the lining and not add anything to the lace itself? Then the lining would be longer than the lace that's over it, would that look right?

Also, despite the model, on me it actually hits in the middle of the knee, so I would only need to add about 2 inches.

I hear you about adding satin elsewhere. Sleeves is a good idea but might be getting too complicated. Is there anywhere else to possibly add satin?

OutATowner

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
I love this idea, thank you outatowner! I was kind of thinking of cream, but black seemed safer. But I will compare with cream too. Do you think satin material or lace?

Glad to help! Smile
I think lace would be too complicated to match etc. If you use a material similar to a nice shell (satin that's not too shiny?) Then it will look like it goes together.

penguin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:03 pm
Quote:
Do you mind to explain a little more what you wrote about needing the lining to lie or lay properly? I was planning to take it to a seamstress, I can't do this myself! But I would bring her the material to add
Usually when you have a flairy skirt, the material is cut on a diagonal rather than straight. So even though you need to add only a few inches, you might need a lot of the lining fabric in order to cut it that way. Otherwise it doesn't have the proper drape and give to it.

I'd meet with your seamstress first and see what she recommends, though if your fabric store has very good knowledgeable salespeople, they may be able to help you.

I like that cream idea. I was thinking white but cream sounds better.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:30 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Usually when you have a flairy skirt, the material is cut on a diagonal rather than straight. So even though you need to add only a few inches, you might need a lot of the lining fabric in order to cut it that way. Otherwise it doesn't have the proper drape and give to it.

I'd meet with your seamstress first and see what she recommends, though if your fabric store has very good knowledgeable salespeople, they may be able to help you.

I like that cream idea. I was thinking white but cream sounds better.

Thank you, that was a great explanation!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:26 pm
What would you ladies think of a tiered bottom? Instead of just a satin-y material colorblock, maybe an inch of satin and an inch of tulle? Would that make the addition look more natural?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:34 pm
Unless you buy two dresses and use the material from the second, it isn't going to look right.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
Unless you buy two dresses and use the material from the second, it isn't going to look right.

Ok got it, thanks. So you think just a plain satin would look better? Or either way, need to buy a second dress?

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:16 pm
If you can get it cheaply enough, a second dress is often the best way to go. However, since this skirt is very flairy, the second piece will likely not be wide enough around for what you want.

In general, I try to stay away from 'patcheh-ing' too much, rather keep as close as possible to original design and add something very simple.

There's a reason designers are paid a lot of money. It's because they have studied and have experience in design. When an amateur attempt to change a design, it rarely looks as good, unless the amateur has great innate talent.

I personally think the lace is enough detail without adding too many more features.

You could try adding a plain piece of black to the lining, a ponte for example. I don't think it needs to be the same material as the lining if it's standing on its own.

However, what is the lace doing there going only part way? You have to see how it looks, at least in the fabric store when you hold it up.

Cream lace over cream lining, if the lace is similar, with a cream shell, sounds nice to me.

Do you have a fabric store with very capable help? Or a very creative seamstress to do the work?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:33 pm
penguin wrote:
If you can get it cheaply enough, a second dress is often the best way to go. However, since this skirt is very flairy, the second piece will likely not be wide enough around for what you want.

In general, I try to stay away from 'patcheh-ing' too much, rather keep as close as possible to original design and add something very simple.

There's a reason designers are paid a lot of money. It's because they have studied and have experience in design. When an amateur attempt to change a design, it rarely looks as good, unless the amateur has great innate talent.

I personally think the lace is enough detail without adding too many more features.

You could try adding a plain piece of black to the lining, a ponte for example. I don't think it needs to be the same material as the lining if it's standing on its own.

However, what is the lace doing there going only part way? You have to see how it looks, at least in the fabric store when you hold it up.

Cream lace over cream lining, if the lace is similar, with a cream shell, sounds nice to me.

Do you have a fabric store with very capable help? Or a very creative seamstress to do the work?

Tysm Penguin for this detailed response. I hear you. I guess what I'm struggling with is, If I only lengthen the lining but not the lace, would it look funny, like a slip that's showing?

Come to think of it, I should probably be asking if the lining can even be lengthened, or if it should be taken out and replaced with something longer?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics