Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Jerusalem infant dies of measles
Previous  1  2

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 11:32 am
It makes sense they they wouldn’t want to see Zionist doctors or go to Zionist hospitals for treatment. But I believe that this is an extreme form of their ideology and any normal parent no matter their belief would do everything in their power to save their child. I hope cps in israel is on those parents case.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 11:41 am
I knew someone is Israel who had a healthy child who died of pneumonia because she believed in holistic treatment only. The boys body was so ravaged by the time he was brought to the hospital there was nothing to do.
It was heartbreaking.
She was criminally charged.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
This is tragic. BUT If the child had no pulse and no heartbeat by the time the ambulance was called, that means the parents didn't seek appropriate medical assistance when the baby showed signs of the distress, which she surely did. That's extreme. I know plenty of people who don't vax but seek medical assistance when necessary. Nobody drops dead from one minute to the next due to measles. I'm also hearing rumors that this child had DS and heart issues. Doesn't make it any less tragic, but not you're average case and we don't have to extrapolate from that to healthy people.

But why even give your child cv’s OR the immunocompromised children in your neighborhood the chance of getting measles mumps and rubella?? These diseases were eliminated in the US and are now back due to anti-vaxxers. And also is the death of a child with DS less tragic? Ouch.

Just a thought, it’s alarming that anti-vaxxing is taking hold so strongly in chareidi communities. IMHO it might show that secular education is important and maybe should be given more priority in those communities.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 3:33 pm
Why haven't gadolim spoken out on this vaccination issue?

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 6:03 pm
What is a Zionist doctor. Doctors I have seen have all been scrupulously non political in terms of treatment and as far as I know all adhere to the Hippocratic Oath.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 12:38 pm
The groups who don’t hold of the Zionist government can gat private healthcare in a special package arranged by Meuhedet. It was originally arranged when bituach Leumi was created and mandated.
Many of these people have trouble compartmentalzing their extremism. Extreme in one area can become extreme all over. Distrust of outsiders regarding hashkafas can translate into total distrust if outsiders.

myname1

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:06 am
dancingqueen wrote:
And also is the death of a child with DS less tragic? Ouch.

I don't think anyone would say it's less tragic. But less alarming and scary, yes. When I heard this story, I got very nervous for my baby- I can't vaccinate him yet, so should I stay out of Jerusalem? So hearing that this only death in quite a few years was a DS child who was never by a doctor, and whose parents were not quick to take him (her?) to the hospital made me feel better for my own child. Definitely still very sad! But for that child/family more than my own. I don't know much about DS, but I would guess it makes things more complicated in this case.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:24 am
myname1 wrote:
I don't think anyone would say it's less tragic. But less alarming and scary, yes. When I heard this story, I got very nervous for my baby- I can't vaccinate him yet, so should I stay out of Jerusalem? So hearing that this only death in quite a few years was a DS child who was never by a doctor, and whose parents were not quick to take him (her?) to the hospital made me feel better for my own child. Definitely still very sad! But for that child/family more than my own. I don't know much about DS, but I would guess it makes things more complicated in this case.

This.
No one is saying that it is less tragic - rather when one hears lo aleynu that someone died of a disease that most recover from, it's less scary to know that there were possibly complicating pre-existing factors that influenced the outcome. It makes it less threatening for people who don't have those pre-existing factors.
Regarding DS and measles - I have no idea if this was a complicating factor in this case.
OTOH I read that the child had not been seen by a doctor, her temperature had risen sharply and that she actually died of dehydration. In other words - she did not receive proper medical care that might have mitigated the tragic outcome.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:48 am
amother wrote:
This news story is a perfect example of fear mongering- leaving out relevant details to get the population to rush to cooperate. Why am I not surprised?

So enlighten us....what details are being left out?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:07 pm
A child died of negligence. Those trying to prevent the spread of measles are happy, because nobody else died of measles, despite the hysteria, and this kind of incident can get more people to vaccinate.

People were also happy about the measles miscarriage, even though the flu vaccine also causes miscarriage, because the most effective weapon to get people to vaccinate is FEAR.

It is a terrible thing to happen. But in a first-world country, almost nobody dies of measles with proper treatment. It isn't a non-issue, it is not risk-free, and it is very contagious, but it isn't the automatic death sentence that it was made out to be.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
A child died of negligence. Those trying to prevent the spread of measles are happy, because nobody else died of measles, despite the hysteria, and this kind of incident can get more people to vaccinate.

People were also happy about the measles miscarriage, even though the flu vaccine also causes miscarriage, because the most effective weapon to get people to vaccinate is FEAR.

It is a terrible thing to happen. But in a first-world country, almost nobody dies of measles with proper treatment. It isn't a non-issue, it is not risk-free, and it is very contagious, but it isn't the automatic death sentence that it was made out to be.

Fear? The entire anti-vaccination movement is anxiety and fear based. Regardless, there is absolutely no treatment in a first-world country for the measles. We can treat fever, dehydration and seizures, but not the measles itself. We do not have anti-virals for the measles and can offer children with measles complications such as measles encephalitis the same treatment we could 60 or 100 years ago - nothing.

BTW, it's also interesting to say the parents were negligent re pulse; however, a child can go into distress and lose a pulse entirely in a matter of minutes. These parents clearly did not utilize doctors and did not vaccinate their child, but it is possible the child's heart beat stopped one minute to the next from something like measles encephalitis; however, you'd have to see the medical report to know that.

bunchagirlies

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 9:11 pm
I recently read a writeup of an 8 year old girl named Olivia. She had the measles. She was over a week in, and was on the mend. Her mother noticed she didn't look quite right, and asked if she is ok. "I feel funny". half hour later, she was unconcious in the hospital. 12 hours later, she was dead. She died of encephalitis. That was in 1964, when doctors had no way to treat encephalitis. Today, in 2018, they still don't.
Measles is not a deadly disease, in that it does not kill in the rate that polio and smallpox did. But it CAN kill. And it CAN cause irreversible damage. And it CAN cause SSPE, which is encephilitis that comes about 7-10 years AFTER a child has the measles.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics