Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I write for many Jewish mags bH AMA
Previous  1  2

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 9:37 am
Your an amazing writer and very dramatic

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 9:46 am
How much content does a magazine writer need to produce to make a living wage?

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:18 pm
baltomom wrote:
What's the pay like?

I was waiting for this question! So, standard pay at magazines as I'm sure you already know is $0.10 per word with some columns having set prices. As you write more and develop better relationships with editors (and have readers clamoring for your pieces,) you can and hopefully will receive a pay increase.I find writers (good ones) can make a nice amount of money for the work invested if they are quick.

There is definitely potential to make a real parnassah writing especially if you branch off into copywriting. I write part time and my pay per hour can easily be over $100.00.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:21 pm
Do you write fiction only?

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:22 pm
keym wrote:
This is based off a thread from a few weeks ago. How do you handle hearing or reading criticism about your work? Even people saying they don't like the style.

Good question! Criticism is hard and can be disconcerting (hence my use of pen names Smile) At the same time, when I do get criticism, I try to delve into what I'm hearing. Often, someone will bring up an aspect of a story/article that I never thought about and I find that fascinating! It also keeps me on my toes, thinking about all aspects of the next piece I write andd trying to cover my bases.

It also depends how personal and nasty the criticism gets. Sometimes people can get really mean and ridiculous. I had a letter to the editor recently from an appalled women who had a problem with a feature article I wrote. I read her letter and was surprised to see that all of her points had been covered in the article in agreement with her views! That was strange.

Yes, writers do need tough skins and yes, sometimes it can be hard, but bh good feedback balances things out.

On that note - positive feedback is SO appreciated.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:22 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
Are you paid per article, or per word? Is it hard to get into the industry?

I answered the 1st question above. I don't know if it's hard to get into the industry at this point. I will say that writing and breaking into the field does take determination and hard work.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:24 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
Do you write fiction only?

I personally love writing fiction! I find it easiest because I do it on my own time without having to interview others etc. But I write non-fiction and features too. Though, I do find features to be very time-consuming for the amount I ultimately get paid.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:24 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
How much content does a magazine writer need to produce to make a living wage?

A few articles/stories per week.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:25 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Your an amazing writer and very dramatic

Thanks...but, how would you know that??

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:35 pm
How long have you been published in magazines?
Are magazines particular about you writing for only one magazine or could you at the same time write for several?
What happens when you have a deadline, and your stuck with writers block?
Do you feel like frum magazines are on a quality literary level?
When writing fiction, do you submit a pitch or does the editor ask you to write a fiction story on x,y, or z?
Do you ever find yourself feeling lonely, since you don't really meet people in a writing profession?
Do you ever feel competition with your fellow writers?
Have you ever seen a piece and thought "I wish I would've written that!"?
Do you have published writer friends IRL?
Is there a specific style that readers would associate you with? If yes what would it be?

Ok, as usual feel free to answer only what you want..

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:43 pm
InnerMe wrote:
How long have you been published in magazines?
Are magazines particular about you writing for only one magazine or could you at the same time write for several?
What happens when you have a deadline, and your stuck with writers block?
Do you feel like frum magazines are on a quality literary level?
When writing fiction, do you submit a pitch or does the editor ask you to write a fiction story on x,y, or z?
Do you ever find yourself feeling lonely, since you don't really meet people in a writing profession?
Do you ever feel competition with your fellow writers?
Have you ever seen a piece and thought "I wish I would've written that!"?
Do you have published writer friends IRL?
Is there a specific style that readers would associate you with? If yes what would it be?

Ok, as usual feel free to answer only what you want..

I've been writing for the past 10 years, more actively in the last five.

I write for many magazines. Some ask me to use a pen name.

Deadlines...ah! As with any job, deadlines must be met. Sometimes I'll get stuck on a point and drop the editor an email to let them know. Other than that, I pray for inspiration and sit myself down with a pen and paper, scribbling until something comes. In all honesty, some stories and articles are smoother to write than others.

I think the level is going up. (In most magazines)

Fiction - I usually send a pitch. Sometimes they'll have an idea that they send my way.

Loneliness can be a real issue for writers, hence, my other job that gets me out of the house.

Competition...well, I really respect other writers and their work. I will say that sometimes I get stressed from reading magazines and thinking I should have, would've, could've etc. Smile

Yes! To the above.

I don't really have published writer friends.

I think I do have a specific style, people have figured out my pen name. Wont share my style here (and not sure I can really put it into words!)

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:37 pm
I wanted to ask this anonymously, but anonymous posting is disabled on this forum Confused :

how hard is it for a new writer to break into the industry? And what would be the procedure? What kind of writing is more in demand?

Thanks!

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:43 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I wanted to ask this anonymously, but anonymous posting is disabled on this forum Confused :

how hard is it for a new writer to break into the industry? And what would be the procedure? What kind of writing is more in demand?

Thanks!

I don't know how hard it is at this point, though I do know that mags are ALWAYS looking for good writers. I think all forms of writing - fiction, non-fiction and features are in high demand (depends on the magazine.) If you're thinking of writing for publications: DO IT! But don't get discouraged if in the beg. it feels like a lot of work for little reward.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:48 pm
Hey- thanks for answering so comprehensively every one!!!
Another few: Why would they ask you to use a penname? Is it so that it shouldn't look like you write for another magazine?
Also are you open about your pen name? Or does practically no one know that that pen-name is you?
And here's a loaded one: What's your opinion on the omission of women faces in magazines?
Do you write controversial features ever?
Do you ever write for children?
Have you published a book yet?
Is there a demand for new frum writers, because all magazine editors make it seem like there isn't..?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!!! LOL

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:51 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Hey- thanks for answering so comprehensively every one!!!
Another few: Why would they ask you to use a penname? Is it so that it shouldn't look like you write for another magazine?
Also are you open about your pen name? Or does practically no one know that that pen-name is you?
And here's a loaded one: What's your opinion on the omission of women faces in magazines?
Do you write controversial features ever?
Do you ever write for children?
Have you published a book yet?
Is there a demand for new frum writers, because all magazine editors make it seem like there isn't..?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!!! LOL

I like your questions!

Sometimes certain magazines ask me not to publish under my name in direct competition magazines.

No, I'm really not open about my pen names. I've published very personal info. under pen names.

Not going near the omission of women faces issue. Smile

Depends what you call controversial.

I write for children all the time.

I've published 3 books.

I think there's a demand for good writers but I don't really know.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you have more q's that you'd like to ask privately. I love helping people use their passion and talents for parnassah.

Seas

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:11 pm
Do you ever read non-Jewish writing? How do you compare the quality of Jewish writing?

Writergirl

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:43 pm
Seas wrote:
Do you ever read non-Jewish writing? How do you compare the quality of Jewish writing?

I have read and sometimes do read non-Jewish writing, though I try very hard to limit it. I don't compare the two. I think the Jewish magazines are doing a phenomenal job at what they do.

Also, keep in mind that best seller non-Jewish writers have a chance to make real money from their work. They have the drive to sit and produce top, top quality work.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics