Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Verizon vs Optimum for Phone/Internet/Tv, differences?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:30 am
If youve dealt with both Verizon and Optimum for Phone/Internet/Tv, what are the differences in charges and services offered?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 12:46 pm
we have verizon fios, I forget which one we had in the past maybe optimum. Verizon is good but expensive and you can watch ABC channels for free on the computer if you have Verizon.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
we have verizon fios, I forget which one we had in the past maybe optimum. Verizon is good but expensive and you can watch ABC channels for free on the computer if you have Verizon.

I left Verizon because there was no Fios on my block at that time and internet was horrible.

I switched to Optimum and on Optimum you can watch all the channels on 2 devices at a time (phone or pc) logged in to your account. I live in Brooklyn and I pay about 150 monthly for Phone, Internet, and TV.

Im wondering what Verizon will charge me for Phone, Internet, and TV once Fios becomes available on my block.

What are others paying Verizon for the three?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
If youve dealt with both Verizon and Optimum for Phone/Internet/Tv, what are the differences in charges and services offered?

I had Verizon, and had so many problems! The internet kept going out, and I kept being told they’re working on more towers or better coverage! It was a nightmare. I then switched to Optimum and have not been having those problems any more. I highly suggest you stay away from Verizon if you want to avoid having constant internet disruptions, lasting days sometimes,

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
I left Verizon because there was no Fios on my block at that time and internet was horrible.

I switched to Optimum and on Optimum you can watch all the channels on 2 devices at a time (phone or pc) logged in to your account. I live in Brooklyn and I pay about 150 monthly for Phone, Internet, and TV.

Im wondering what Verizon will charge me for Phone, Internet, and TV once Fios becomes available on my block.

Fios ends up being more costly. At first, they offer you a cheaper rate with a promotion deal for new customers (for a year, I believe) just to hook you, and then you get raised much higher than optimum charges,

rgr

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:58 pm
Depends a lot on the area.
Ask your neighbors what they have and if they are happy with the service

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:15 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I had Verizon, and had so many problems! The internet kept going out, and I kept being told they’re working on more towers or better coverage! It was a nightmare. I then switched to Optimum and have not been having those problems any more. I highly suggest you stay away from Verizon if you want to avoid having constant internet disruptions, lasting days sometimes,

I thought if you have Fios, Verizon is amazing for internet ?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:

It depend which level of speed you get and which channels you want, but we pay about that much for fios for tv, phone, internet

gamanit

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:18 pm
I have had issues with both and wish there's be another option. I had Optimum for a $40 a month special for internet only. They raised me to $60 which wasn't terrible so I stayed with them.

They raised me to $80 so I called them to negotiate. They refused to lower the price. I asked them why they raised me so much and they basically told me that at this point they're the only ones that are servicing my block so they're raising their prices because the customers anyhow don't have who to switch to.

I tried getting service with Verizon. They gave me a hookup date almost right away but the technician that came said that the wiring on my block is faulty and would need to be replaced. It took a few months for them to formally tell me that they will be unable to connect my home to the internet for the time being.

At this point I wish that the government would be providing the infrastructure which for someone who believes in small government is saying a lot.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
It depend which level of speed you get and which channels you want, but we pay about that much for fios for tv, phone, internet

Verizon offers different speeds if you dont have Fios. But that doesnt make the internet work when theres an outage.

Afaik Fios doesnt have outages, or its rare.

Afailk both Verizon Fios and Optimum only offer one speed.

chatz

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:02 pm
Verizon's physical service (ie, if you need a technician) is horrible.

Internet seems similar by both. Works decently with minor issues every so often.

Price- optimum used to be way better. Cheaper price, flat fee. Recently, they've gone up and started adding various fees. I don't think they're cheaper than Verizon any more.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:05 pm
I have Verizon FiOS for internet only for 62 for the highest speed. I have no problems with it, but 62 is promotion price. (also I think they put in newwiring where I live ). For home phone, I have service through internet called Vonage for 20 a month.

Monseymama2

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:31 pm
Verizon FiOS in general is a faster connection than Optimum which runs on cable. But it's not a major difference that you would necessarily feel. Regarding pricing both Veriozn and Optimum usually offer you a good deal for the new subscribers for the first year or 2. What you have to do when your deal ends is call them in and say you want to cancel because the other company is offering you a better deal and they will most likely give you a better price.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:43 pm
I’ve had both for internet only. I go with whoever will give me the better price. I’ve found the internet service/reliability similar but I think that varies by location.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 6:46 pm
I got my answer about comparison deals.

Verizon: For Phone TV and Internet (Fios) Verizon wants $120 monthly, price guaranteed for 2 years.

This allows you to have one TV, and their App allows you to watch TV on 2 phones or tablets. Their App isnt usable on Laptops which the Optimum App does work w Laptops, which is much more enjoyable because of the larger screens of Laptops.

Optimum: For about the same price, Optimum gives you Phone TV and Internet, and Optimum App that allows you to watch TV on 2 additional laptops, not only tablets or phones.

So price is basically the same but Optimum allows use of Optimum App on Laptops, which is a big advantage to me.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 6:52 pm
I pay $120 for all three with Verizon Fios. They give you a lot of sports chanels. The chanels I want cost more money like Showtime. The internet is pretty fast on it.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
I pay $120 for all three with Verizon Fios. They give you a lot of sports chanels. The chanels I want cost more money like Showtime. The internet is pretty fast on it.
How did you get it for 120, are you a new customer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics