Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Don't see how I can vote tomorrow

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 10:27 pm
I'm really annoyed. Voting is important to me. But I just don't see a way to make it work tomorrow. I have an appointment first thing in the morning. I will not have time to go before the appointment. Then it's straight to work. I don't work close enough to the polling place to pop over during the day. Last week my plan was to vote after work, but the way things worked out it's mikvah night tomorrow night, so that's where I'm going after work. I could go after the mikvah, polls should still be open, but I really don't want to stand in line at that time, and if I do, I probably won't get home before bed time (as it is mikvah is pushing it, but obviously don't have a choice there). I don't really see how I can make it work, but I'm very unhappy about it. Should I push myself to squeeze it in at the end of a very long and hectic day? Or just forget it, and wait till next year?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:18 pm
Absentee ballot.. Or is it too late for that

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:32 pm
Can you go after work but before the mikvah?

I am sure the local party organizers would be happy to assist you if you need transportation.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:49 pm
This is why some countries make election day a public holiday.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
This is why some countries make election day a public holiday.

True...

OTOH, OP made an appt on Election Day; maybe with some foresight, that could have been avoided.

Plus there is early voting in many places, and absentee voting everywhere.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:30 am
Leave work early? You're required to be given time off from work to vote if I'm not miataken.

seekingquietude

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:24 am
It's illegal for your employer to refuse time off for you to vote. It's probably not even legal for them to question WHY you need the time off to vote, but IF asked, you can say you had a medical appointment that morning and have a long procedure in the evening. If they give you any grief about it, leave anyway, and call legal helplines the next day.

I highly encourage you not to neglect a civic duty.

flmommy

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:23 am
Won’t help this time but do sign up for absentee voting. It is a total game changer. I can research what I want to do we’ll in advance and then just drop it in the mail. Plus once you are signed up they just keep coming by mail every election. Good luck figuring it out today.

mom39

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:53 am
If you're worried about waiting on long lines, there prob won't be long lines at polling booths. Its not presidential, mayor or governor election and will prob be a poor turnout.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:02 am
mom39 wrote:
If you're worried about waiting on long lines, there prob won't be long lines at polling booths. Its not presidential, mayor or governor election and will prob be a poor turnout.

A few of us don't live in New York.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:50 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
A few of us don't live in New York.

Very true.

And Fwiw, I got to my poll before 7am and there was already a long line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics