Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I am a master baker, ask me anything!

grilledcheese

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:32 pm
Flower

dovebird

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:35 pm
Why grilled cheese when you could have chosen a baked good as your screen name? 😁

grilledcheese

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:36 pm
dovebird wrote:
Why grilled cheese when you could have chosen a baked good as your screen name? 😁

The kids like grilled cheese, what can I say!

ila

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:42 pm
Do you sell your cakes? What is your best parve recipe? I'd you don't mind to share...

grilledcheese

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:51 pm
ila wrote:
Do you sell your cakes? What is your best parve recipe? I'd you don't mind to share...

I sell my bread! Bread is really my forte. The favorite in my house and among friends and family is my Persian flatbread (nan e barbari). I'm not sure if you were just looking for a cake recipe, but if you'd like one for bread then I'd be honored to share.

bobeli

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:53 pm
Where in Brooklyn can we buy it?

grilledcheese

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:56 pm
bobeli wrote:
Where in Brooklyn can we buy it?

I'm in the midwest, not out east! Sad Sorry.
But I can give you the recipe to make it at home and you'll never buy bread again.

dovebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 12:07 am
grilledcheese wrote:
I sell my bread! Bread is really my forte. The favorite in my house and among friends and family is my Persian flatbread (nan e barbari). I'm not sure if you were just looking for a cake recipe, but if you'd like one for bread then I'd be honored to share.

Please share!!!! Would love to make!
Where do you sell?
ETA I see you don’t sell in my area Sad

grilledcheese

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:05 am
dovebird wrote:
Please share!!!! Would love to make!
Where do you sell?
ETA I see you don’t sell in my area Sad

Ingredients for bread:
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- black and white sesame seeds

Ingredients for glaze:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1. Mix 4 1/4 cups bread flour with 2 teaspoons of salt. I use King Arthur bread flour-- the kind of flour you use really does make a difference! Give it a quick little mix and set it aside. Then, in a small glass bowl, prepare 1 packet of yeast with 3/4 teaspoon sugar and 1 cup warm water. Stir and cover with plastic wrap, then drape a towel over it. Set aside.

2. At this point, you should start with your glaze! In a small skillet, combine 2 teaspoons flour with 1/4 cup cold water. Mix just enough to break up the chunks, then add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, then another 1/4 cup water. Once you've gotten that properly mixed so that when you stop it will stay mixed and not separate, turn the stove on to a low flame and continue mixing until you see it start to boil. Take it off the flame, set it aside to cool, and go back to your bread.

3. After you take your glaze off the flame, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. I keep my baking stone in the oven while it's pre-heating. Dump the yeast mixture and half of the flour/salt into the bowl of your mixer. Mix it by hand with a wooden spoon until it gets to a shaggy consistency. Then, add another cup of water and the rest of the flour/salt. Again, with your wooden spoon, mix it up. Using a dough hook mixer attachment, turn your mixer on. I put mine on #4 setting for 3 minutes. Once that has run, you'll see that the dough will mostly be globbed onto the hook. It will be a little sticky, but do not add more flour. Put the dough back in the bowl you used for the flour/salt, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, then set it aside for 20-25 minutes.

4. Once your dough has sat, it should have doubled in size. Separate the dough into 3 balls. On a floured surface, take the first ball and roll it so it's covered in flour just so it's not sticky. However, do not work the flour into the dough at all. Set it aside and do the same thing with the next two portions. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

5. After your three balls of dough have sat, take the first one and flatten it out into an oval shape- not to really work with it at all. Put a tablespoon of your glaze, which should now be cool, directly onto the dough and smooth it out with your hand. Then, take your fingers and make grooves in the dough lengthwise. Be careful here not to tear the dough. Depending on the size, you should be able to get between 4 and 5 grooves. At this point, optionally add a little more salt and sprinkle a mixture of white and black sesame seeds. Let that sit for 5 minutes.

6. Flip a baking sheet upside down and place a piece of parchment paper on top. Using a baking scraper, lift both sides of the dough up off the counter and stretch it lengthwise to fit the parchment paper, then set it onto the parchment paper. Transfer the parchment paper off of the baking sheet and onto the baking stone inside the oven. Set a timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the paper 180 degrees inside the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. While each loaf is baking, start on step 5 for the next ball of dough.

There you have it! 3 loaves, 30 minutes bake time. Eat it straight out of the oven and your family will devour it faster than you can bake it! You can eat it either by tearing off strands or cutting it up into smaller pieces. It's perfect for family meals or for when you have guests as it is both delicious and has a beautiful presentation.

Anybody that tries it, I would love to hear your feedback!

dovebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:19 am
grilledcheese wrote:
Ingredients for bread:
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- black and white sesame seeds

Ingredients for glaze:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1. Mix 4 1/4 cups bread flour with 2 teaspoons of salt. I use King Arthur bread flour-- the kind of flour you use really does make a difference! Give it a quick little mix and set it aside. Then, in a small glass bowl, prepare 1 packet of yeast with 3/4 teaspoon sugar and 1 cup warm water. Stir and cover with plastic wrap, then drape a towel over it. Set aside.

2. At this point, you should start with your glaze! In a small skillet, combine 2 teaspoons flour with 1/4 cup cold water. Mix just enough to break up the chunks, then add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, then another 1/4 cup water. Once you've gotten that properly mixed so that when you stop it will stay mixed and not separate, turn the stove on to a low flame and continue mixing until you see it start to boil. Take it off the flame, set it aside to cool, and go back to your bread.

3. After you take your glaze off the flame, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. I keep my baking stone in the oven while it's pre-heating. Dump the yeast mixture and half of the flour/salt into the bowl of your mixer. Mix it by hand with a wooden spoon until it gets to a shaggy consistency. Then, add another cup of water and the rest of the flour/salt. Again, with your wooden spoon, mix it up. Using a dough hook mixer attachment, turn your mixer on. I put mine on #4 setting for 3 minutes. Once that has run, you'll see that the dough will mostly be globbed onto the hook. It will be a little sticky, but do not add more flour. Put the dough back in the bowl you used for the flour/salt, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, then set it aside for 20-25 minutes.

4. Once your dough has sat, it should have doubled in size. Separate the dough into 3 balls. On a floured surface, take the first ball and roll it so it's covered in flour just so it's not sticky. However, do not work the flour into the dough at all. Set it aside and do the same thing with the next two portions. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

5. After your three balls of dough have sat, take the first one and flatten it out into an oval shape- not to really work with it at all. Put a tablespoon of your glaze, which should now be cool, directly onto the dough and smooth it out with your hand. Then, take your fingers and make grooves in the dough lengthwise. Be careful here not to tear the dough. Depending on the size, you should be able to get between 4 and 5 grooves. At this point, optionally add a little more salt and sprinkle a mixture of white and black sesame seeds. Let that sit for 5 minutes.

6. Flip a baking sheet upside down and place a piece of parchment paper on top. Using a baking scraper, lift both sides of the dough up off the counter and stretch it lengthwise to fit the parchment paper, then set it onto the parchment paper. Transfer the parchment paper off of the baking sheet and onto the baking stone inside the oven. Set a timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the paper 180 degrees inside the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. While each loaf is baking, start on step 5 for the next ball of dough.

There you have it! 3 loaves, 30 minutes bake time. Eat it straight out of the oven and your family will devour it faster than you can bake it! You can eat it either by tearing off strands or cutting it up into smaller pieces. It's perfect for family meals or for when you have guests as it is both delicious and has a beautiful presentation.

Anybody that tries it, I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks so much for sharing!!!! Can’t wait to try it one day!

ila

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:59 am
Thanks for the recipe!
Does it work without a baking stone? What can I use to replace it?

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:52 am
What's the truck to making the dough for jachnun?

jerusalem90

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 9:23 am
Would you share a great sweet recipe? Does monkey bread count as bread? Or cinnamon buns fall into your category?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics