Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bedtime talking games

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 10:42 am
I'm trying to spend a few minutes before bedtime shmoozing with my kids. Our new go to is to play a talking game.
I'm looking for some new ideas. I try to keep it up to 10 minutes. (I dont have patience for longer embarrassed )
the games we've been doing are geography, 21 questions and I went Eretz Yisroel and brought along with me...
any ideas?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 10:47 am
How old are the kids? That makes a big difference.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:19 am
ages 4-11
can adapt some, or not use all for all....

questioner

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:29 am
Not sure what the name is, but we play this a lot.

Person A - thinks of word (you can choose word length to make it harder or easier)
Person B - tells Person A a word, Person A responds with the number of letters that match his word. Repeat until the word is guessed.

(For example - I think of BOY. You ask me CAB and I say 1. Then you need to figure out which one. You try CAT and I say 0, so that isolated a B in the word. Repeat.)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:38 am
thanks! cant wait to try it with the bigger ones. will probably work better with pen and paper.. I think I remember playing such a game in HS...

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:48 am
Here are some that I can think of:
1) You start a story by saying a few sentences and then the next person continues the story with another sentence or two and you keep going until it becomes a really silly story.

2) One player says two sentences with the first sentence containing a word that is the first part of a compound word. The second sentence contains a word that is the second part of a compound word. The other players have to guess what the compound word is.
Example:
    Sentence 1 - I don't think we can go to the park tomorrow, because it is supposed to rain in the morning.
    Sentence 2 - Please straighten out your bow tie before you leave to shul.

Answer: Rainbow

3) Ghost - is a word game in which players try to add a letter to a growing word fragment — without ever actually spelling a word. If they accidentally spell a valid word, they lose the round. If they add a letter but a word is no longer possible to be made using those combination of letters, another player can “challenge” them. first person says a letter, next person adds a letter

bigsis144

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 11:52 am
I play this walking home from shul with my kids (6 & 9), it’s similar to other alphabet games, we kind of say it to a sing-song tune:

A
My name is (Alice)
My husband’s name is (Albert)
We live in (Alabama)
And we always eat (apples)!

B
My name is (Bracha)
My husband’s name is (Baruch)
We live in (Bnei Brak)
And we always eat (bagels)!

Etc.,
taking turns and progressing thru the alphabet

mom!

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:10 pm
1. You can get a long book and read small parts every night.
2. Someone thinks of a name and the next person has to say a name that starts with the letter the first one ended with, no repeats

keym

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:17 pm
We do "two truths and a lie". Its short but the kids love it and we could share about our day. Each person says 2 true things and one untruth about their day (I ate tuna for lunch, I had a math test, I played basketball at recess). The other person has to guess which is the truth. (You didn't have a math test you had a spelling test).

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:17 pm
20 questions. For younger kids, you can make the game easier by limiting it to an object in the room, so they can look around and ask questions to narrow it down.

If you don't know how to play, let me know and I will post.

blessedjmom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 12:53 pm
keym wrote:
We do "two truths and a lie". Its short but the kids love it and we could share about our day. Each person says 2 true things and one untruth about their day (I ate tuna for lunch, I had a math test, I played basketball at recess). The other person has to guess which is the truth. (You didn't have a math test you had a spelling test).

Love this idea. It gets kids to share. Nice!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:25 pm
Name 3 things (or 5 things, for older kids).

Pick a letter, and then three categories. For example "M", animal - place - food

An answer could be "monkey - Manhattan - mushroom".

You can split the kids into two teams, and take turns with different letters. Let the bigger kids whisper answers in the little one's ears, so they can pipe up with an answer and feel smart. Very Happy

My ulpan teacher had us do this in our Hebrew class, and we had a blast! A bunch of 50 to 80 year olds getting as excited as school kids. The competition was fierce. Twisted Evil

Sleepymama

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:41 pm
Try the word association game.
Start with any random word. Next person says the first word the comes to mind then the next person says whatever word gets triggered by the previous word. After about 20 random words start from the first word and see if you can remember what everyone said. The person explains the connection to the word they chose (ie- cat,brown,brownies shabbos,cozy)
Cat made me think of brown because there is a brown cat in my book. Brown made me think of brownies, brownies made me think of shabbos, shabbos made me think of feeling cozy etc) you will be amazed at how you can remember all the random words when you go back and explain each "connection"

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:44 am
daniels mom wrote:
1. You can get a long book and read small parts every night.

And play meatballs and spaghetti with the book. If the child can read, they can join, but everyone would listen and be rolling on the floor.

Also guess who or I spy which is similar to 20 questions.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 12:03 pm
Thank you so much for all the replies. Already playing some, and its great to have variety, cuz then its s/t we can keep going without getting bored after a few nights!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children