Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady breaking items

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 10:54 am
I have a newish cleaning lady (here about a month maybe a bit less).
She's getting better with time management and cleaning but so far in the last 2 weeks she broke 2 glass items.
She did come and let me know, which I appreciated. But the cost of replacement is adding up.
And I worry she might break something expensive or not easily replaced.
Do I swallow the cost, or start deducting from her salary?
Or see if it continues to happen?
I'm not in a position to find another new cleaning lady right now, but I also can't keep replacing broken items.
How do others handle breakages by cleaning ladies?
And is there a difference if she bumps into a table and knocks over a vase vs if she is washing dishes and drops a glass?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:00 am
OMG same here. But more than glass items. Sad Still assessing the situation and trying to accommodate her weaknesses.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:06 am
Oy I'm sorry ra-mom. What else has she broken?
By me she broke the glass carafe of the french press (coffee thingie) so I had to get another.
I get nervous bec I have some Swarovski pieces around etc.
My previous cleaning lady broke the creamer from my china coffee set (she didn't own up to it) and I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:19 am
studying_torah wrote:
Oy I'm sorry ra-mom. What else has she broken?
By me she broke the glass carafe of the french press (coffee thingie) so I had to get another.
I get nervous bec I have some Swarovski pieces around etc.
My previous cleaning lady broke the creamer from my china coffee set (she didn't own up to it) and I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it.

She ruined my master linen. Sad And broke the coat hanging tree. Both things I can't easily replace.
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this! Is there any way to keep the swarovski and china away from her? There are certain things I make sure to put away/clean myself before.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:20 am
I know that when I have a cleaning lady things will get damaged and broken. It's a given. My mother rarely had cleaning help, but whenever she did they broke or damaged something.
I've had cleaning ladies break my window blinds, ruin clothes, scratch up silver, break parts of my refrigerator etc.
But there is nothing you can really do. It's an accident and not done intentionally.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:23 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I know that when I have a cleaning lady things will get damaged and broken. It's a given. My mother rarely had cleaning help, but whenever she did they broke or damaged something.
I've had cleaning ladies break my window blinds, ruin clothes, scratch up silver, break parts of my refrigerator etc.
But there is nothing you can really do. It's an accident and not done intentionally.

She for sure didn't do it intentionally! And I told her it's ok because it could have happened to me too. But it's very upsetting and if it keeps happening I have to take that into account of the risk reward.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:25 am
On her salary. She's your employee

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:47 am
My last one ruined, lost (possibly stole) a huge number of items. My daughter's shabbos dress disappeared just 1 example.
That was finally a big factor in getting rid of her. Well one of many big issues.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:50 am
I honestly dont understand why cleaning ladies break things all the time. Do they also break things in their home so often?

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:58 am
This is funny because I recently had this as well. One week she broke a glass cup, I was upset but ok. It happens. People make mistakes. Probably only a few dollars to replace.

Then the next time she came the bottom of the vacuum cleaner broke. It's only a few months old so it wasn't like it was dying anyhow. I looked online and was able to the replacement part for $20 plus shipping. This was more upsetting. But overall she's good, and hopefully we won't be seeing more of this breakages so for now I'm letting it go. Also both times she told me about it, and I appreciated that.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
I honestly dont understand why cleaning ladies break things all the time. Do they also break things in their home so often?

Many are illiterate and can't read directions or instructions on chemicals.
Others never saw certain items in their life and don't know what is fragile and what isn't.
I once had a cleaning woman who was very new to the country and jumped when the vacuum turned on. She didn't expect it and didn't know what it does or how to use it.

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 12:33 pm
Most cleaning ladies will break things - it's inevitable.

They aren't doing it maliciously but I assume that they are hurrying to finish as fast as possible and so don't take the time to be as careful as you might be with something valuable.

You can't dock their pay - I don't think that would be legal.

In terms of valuable items, I just don't have her clean them.

If she is ruining stuff by not cleaning properly I would make sure that I didn't have any stuff around that shouldn't be used. I just finished a remodel of kitchen and baths so I made sure that I don't have ANY cleaning stuff that would damage the surfaces - I.e. I don't have Windex because it damages marble and I have a special toilet bowl cleaner that can't damage anything including the toilet. I got a toilet with a Sanagloss finish which is supposed to be cleaned with a soft brush and a non acidic cleaner because the finish itself prevents stuff from adhering to it :-). It's pretty nifty as it also wets the sides which is supposed to prevent anything from clinging to the sides :-).

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:01 pm
Interesting amarante, I wonder why it's not legal.
She was doing the dishes, and put the carafe to dry and broke it. (It was 25 dollars to replace it)
Today I had some glasses that needed to be washed and again, one broke.
She is quite slow so she's certainly not rushing to finish! And yes she is literate in English, although she's from Brazil.

About the vacuum piece, it's very aggravating. And honestly I worry what if she breaks my vacuum or other appliance next?
(You're right prob should expect my crystal and glass objects to break.)

octopus

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:10 pm
I would rather a less thorough cleaner than one who breaks things. I will not keep a cleaner who breaks things. They have to be more gentle.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 8:14 pm
Honestly I also would have liked an apology; or hearing her say she will be more careful but she did not.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 8:45 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Honestly I also would have liked an apology; or hearing her say she will be more careful but she did not.

I think we all soften at apologies and that's probably why I was feeling more forgiving when she told me about the linen and I'm feeling more upset about the coat tree (and more) that I had to uncover myself. I totally understand and commiserate.
I hope things change soon for you and that the inevitable breakage is small and far between and that the rewards outweigh the losses!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 2:59 pm
Thank you Ra mom and I totally get the upset at discovering the broken item by yourself.
Hopefully yours will be more careful too!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 3:16 pm
Amen!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry