Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would we fit in?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:54 pm
Considering moving to Lakewood or Toms River but concerned about schooling for my kids and fitting in in general as we don’t fit into any typical box. I am Sephardic and my husband is Ashkenazi. I am a bt and my husband is ffb. Husband comes from a chassidish background but is more modern. I cover my hair with a sheitel and wear stockings (sometimes leggings). Husband is very sensitive to heat and will wear shorts in the summer. We have tv and internet. My girls are from a previous marriage and although they get a more right leaning education at home, have gone to a modern orthodox school. Would we fit in with any group there??

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
Considering moving to Lakewood or Toms River but concerned about schooling for my kids and fitting in in general as we don’t fit into any typical box. I am Sephardic and my husband is Ashkenazi. I am a bt and my husband is ffb. Husband comes from a chassidish background but is more modern. I cover my hair with a sheitel and wear stockings (sometimes leggings). Husband is very sensitive to heat and will wear shorts in the summer. We have tv and internet. My girls are from a previous marriage and although they get a more right leaning education at home, have gone to a modern orthodox school. Would we fit in with any group there??

Would you consider Highland Park, NJ? I think you’d fit in there like a charm. 🙂

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:18 pm
There may be families similar to yours moving to Toms River, but it doesn't mean they'll have an easy time with schools. People who check every imaginable box go through tremendous distress trying to get their kids into schools. Your family, which is extremely out of the box (for Lakewood), will not engender much support or sympathy. Would you be okay sending your kids to school in Deal (since you're Sephardi)? If not, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:13 pm
This very moment, Lakewood....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Try out Deal or Long Branch..

If your children are infants or you want to bus them to Shalom Twin Rivers. Then please come... My son prays every day that a hundred families like you move to Toms River

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:24 pm
Op here. I actually grew up in Deal. I would move there but there is no Shul there where my Dh would feel comfortable. I have a 12,9 and 2 year old. I would theoretically send my kids to school there but I worry they wouldn’t have any friends to hang out with on Shabbos.

naturalmom5 What is Shalom twin rivers? What are the families like that currently live in Toms River?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 6:24 pm
https://www.cte-twinrivers.org.....ademy

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 6:55 pm
Another vote for twin rivers

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 7:03 pm
I heard that the Shalom Torah Academy schools merged into the Morganville location several years ago. True or no?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 7:08 pm
yes.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 7:23 pm
Girls school in Passaic accepts everyone. My niece travels there from monsey. She's chassidish but I heard the principal say by the graduation that they dont turn away a single student no matter what stripe & from where they come. She couldn't find a school in Monsey to accept her.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 7:59 pm
So it seems like the consensus is that my kids probably would not get into schools and I should look into schools nearby. Besides schools, would we fit in as a family with our neighbors or also no way?

I may be open to other communities such as highland park, etc but we have family in Lakewood and if there is a neighborhood there or in Toms River where we could fit in that would be ideal 🙂

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 8:54 pm
Toms River is definitely getting an influx of more modern yeshivish and chassidim. You wouldn't have an issue with Internet or leggings there, not sure about television. But it's still growing and families may be spread out, so make sure you find a block or neighborhood with families that are similar to you.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:09 am
Twin rivers is only 30 mins away from Lakewood. People go daily!
People send kids to school in Lakewood, Highland park and Elizabeth.

Its worth spending a shabbos there.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
So it seems like the consensus is that my kids probably would not get into schools and I should look into schools nearby. Besides schools, would we fit in as a family with our neighbors or also no way?

I may be open to other communities such as highland park, etc but we have family in Lakewood and if there is a neighborhood there or in Toms River where we could fit in that would be ideal 🙂

Yes, I think you'd fit in with the neighbors very nicely. I know all sorts of people who live in Toms River, from yeshivish to modern yeshivish to very modern orthodox. Just look into the neighbors/general block before you purchase a home to make sure it's a good fit.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:26 pm
Thank you to all! This was very helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating