Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do you LIKE about living in NY/Brooklyn/Flatbush?
1  2  Next

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:44 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:52 pm
I like:

1. Public transportation - the Q, the F, and several buses

2. Grocery stores, pizza places, amazing savings

3. Safe neighborhood, no worries about coming back by myself in the evening

4. Affordable rent

5. Chilled neighbors with well-behaved kids

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:53 pm
So funny! I was thinking about starting a thread about what I miss about living in BP.

I loved walking down the street on erev shabbos and yom tov and smelling the chicken soup and challos.

I loved hearing all the zmiros from all the different succos.

Walking home from work and seeing family after family setting up or lighting the menorah.

Boro park and flatbush are wonderful neighborhoods! I miss living in such a jewish neighborhood!

professor

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:25 pm
I love walking around BP on Simchas Torah after midnight and hearing thousands of men sing and dance with the torah.

I love having kosher groceries in every corner.

I love that my kids can walk to school and have jewish friends on the same block. And my boys can go to minyan anytime during the day or night so they never "miss" maariv etc.

I love having heimishe busses to anywhere out of "town"

I love my neighbors.

I want to move to Staten Island, and I hope I won't miss all of this too much

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:27 pm
I love the vibrant Jewish neighborhood.

I love the conveniences.

I love having family nearby.

I love being able to kind of stick to myself but still have people available for when I want to come out of my shell.

I love being able to walk to work.

I love being able to leave the car at home.

I love the familiarity. It's my home town.

dovebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:48 pm

Last edited by dovebird on Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:50 pm
dovebird wrote:
Just curious for all posters responding. Did you live here your whole life or move at some point? Do you guys actually live here?! LOL As an “out of towner” Who moved here after I got married, I legitimately can not think of one good thing. I dont want to see Sorry folks!

I moved to Brooklyn from the city after graduation.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:06 pm
I love the city. I miss Brooklyn! I cannot get used to suburban life, and my neighborhood is quite busy.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:10 pm
I lived in the city, but not Brooklyn. I miss the convenience of it all! I really don’t like driving lol! I miss the energy of the city. I do love the quiet I’m in now but sometimes I get scared. It’s too quiet. I long to hear a police or ambulance siren.

newbie613

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:54 pm
dovebird wrote:
Just curious for all posters responding. Did you live here your whole life or move at some point? Do you guys actually live here?! LOL As an “out of towner” Who moved here after I got married, I legitimately can not think of one good thing. I dont want to see Sorry folks!

Same here

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:05 pm
sequoia wrote:
4. Affordable rent

❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:09 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

dovebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:20 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Just the out of town bigotry that I'm so used to. That's not what this thread is for.

Sorry I’ll delete my post.

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:25 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:34 pm
Emotional wrote:
❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓

Find a 3 bedroom apartment in nice condition for under $3,000, in Manhattan, and I think the Five Towns as well, and Ill eat my hat. Im not even sure you can get a 3 bedroom apartment in nice condition, for under $3,000, in crime ridden Bed Stuy.

dovebird

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:35 pm
smileforamile wrote:
And btw, if you can't think of anything good about NY, you're not trying very hard or determinedly looking at the negative.

My aunt is from OOT. She told me that when she was dating my uncle seriously and they were discussing where they would live, she said "No way" to NY. My uncle had to explain to her that NY isn't all bad--there's lots of Torah and chesed here, among other things.

Yes, I grew up here, and I live here, so I see more positives than you might if you come from somewhere else. Everyone always has a fondness for their hometown, no matter what its disadvantages are. I have my problems with living in Brooklyn, but overall, I see the advantages--and it's right in my comfort zone.

I’ll try harder to be more positive! Smile

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:40 pm
Mevater wrote:
Find a 3 bedroom apartment in nice condition for under $3,000, in Manhattan, and I think the Five Towns as well, and Ill eat my hat. Im not even sure you can get a 3 bedroom apartment in nice condition, for under $3,000, in crime ridden Bed Stuy.

Well Brooklyn is not far behind that in terms of rental prices. Why do you think families are moving to Lakewood in droves? (This is NOT meant to become another eye-rolling Lakewood thread!)

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:41 pm
Although I do want to say that I miss many things about living in Brooklyn. But the inability to keep an adequate roof over my family's head is not one of them.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:04 pm
I lived in Brooklyn for a period of time. I didn’t grow up there and I don’t live there now.
What I liked about it when I did live there
1. Being near family
2. Convenience of kosher food at all hours of the day and night
3. Convenience of the subway to Manhattan
4. So many opportunities for shiurim and Jewish learning

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:21 am
Compared to Park Slope the rent is definitely do-able. Or the UWS.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics