Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much will I pay in taxes?
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
Are you currently working - or will be working? Are you trying to predict how much of a refund you will be getting, or how much tax will be coming off of your paychecks?

She would not be qualified for the EITC with that income. She would only be receiving a refund if taxes withheld are more than she owes.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
It would be impossible for anyone to answer this with so little info. The only advice I can give you is to make estimated quarterly payments to the IRS, so that you don’t have to pay a late penalty when you file taxes.

Also, keep track of any and all expenses related to your job so that you can deduct them on your tax return. For example, if you’re a teacher or therapist, keep receipts for all your out of pocket purchases.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
She would not be qualified for the EITC with that income. She would only be receiving a refund if taxes withheld are more than she owes.

I didn't say anything about a EITC.

I was trying to understand why OP is trying to figure out - because 'how much tax will we pay' is probably the wrong question to ask for an employee. What will our net income be on each paycheck is probably more useful.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:03 pm
11,000 federal tax
7500 fica
2500 state tax
-4000 credit

I think $16,000

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't say anything about a EITC.

I was trying to understand why OP is trying to figure out - because 'how much tax will we pay' is probably the wrong question to ask for an employee. What will our net income be on each paycheck is probably more useful.

Being that she mentioned property taxes, I assume she wanted to know her tax liability on her tax return, but I may be mistaken...

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
Being that she mentioned property taxes, I assume she wanted to know her tax liability on her tax return, but I may be mistaken...

In my experience - come tax return time - most employees are just looking to see if there is a refund coming - not so much about total taxes already paid via withholding.

OP is likely sleeping ..

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:

Child tax credit. Not EITC. She's eligible.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:05 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Child tax credit. Not EITC. She's eligible.

that would be considered in the calculation of the withholding from the paycheck (if the W-4 is completed correctly)... so it shouldn't generate a refund. (that poster was responding to my comment about getting a refund).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics