Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Colleague Leaving. Picking up slack. So burnt out- Help!!
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:17 pm
My colleagues leaving, and I will need to pick up the slack, and then train someone once they find someone.

There's a large turnaround at the place I work, and I've trained about 4 people in the 2 years I've been here. I'm just so burnt out. I don't want to train someone new.

There's only me and that other girl that do this work, so automatically it would fall on me all the work. I cannot do this. But I also can't tell my supervisor that I can't do it. Because who else should do it?

It's so frustrating and I feel so unappreciated. My colleague will be leaving in a few days, and I have this horrible pit in my stomach.

Any ideas or advice?
Anyone been in this situation?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
My colleagues leaving, and I will need to pick up the slack, and then train someone once they find someone.

There's a large turnaround at the place I work, and I've trained about 4 people in the 2 years I've been here. I'm just so burnt out. I don't want to train someone new.

There's only me and that other girl that do this work, so automatically it would fall on me all the work. I cannot do this. But I also can't tell my supervisor that I can't do it. Because who else should do it?

It's so frustrating and I feel so unappreciated. My colleague will be leaving in a few days, and I have this horrible pit in my stomach.

Any ideas or advice?
Anyone been in this situation?

Hugs!

Ask for a raise!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 6:49 pm
Ugh. I've been in this situation. At one point , when I found out my colleague wasn't returning (she had taken off a few days) , I just burst out crying right there in the office in front of everyone. It felt like the world just came crashing down on my head and I felt so overwhelmed .
I did tell my supervisor how I could t imagine doing it all and then spend time to train someone new in top of that.
I obviously survived to tell the tale. But I do remember that it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:31 pm
the extra work and the training is temporary, but a raise stemming from this could be permanent. Smile Sounds like a great opportunity to spend some time making a (VERY LONG) list of all of your responsibilities, a separate list of all of hers (that you're doing temporarily and will be training her replacement to do), and be strong and ask for a raise. If they balk, a temporary raise is reasonable as your extra work will be temporary but then make a date to meet again in the future to discuss again (yearly review?)

My last overwhelming full time job was in 1999--- I used to leave a huge typed to do list for the next day on my desk so my boss could always see how I was spending my time--- and it helped me, too, to have the to do list staring me in the face so I could prioritize. They truly appreciated me because they realized how much I did.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 8:43 pm
You say there is a lot of turnaround yet you have stayed through the many who left. Seems that you are likely a quality worker, perhaps ask for a raise?
How much do you make now? Perhaps we can guide you to a reasonable asking amount?
Some places don't really "do" raises but hopefully this place does Smile

rachelmom1

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 9:18 pm
I had a similar scenario and voiced my concern to my boss. He was very understanding throughout and even offered to help out himself every do often. I did get a decent raise during the next review for my added responsibility.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 10:38 pm
Can you request a training bonus? My office does that.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
Ask for a raise!

and as many temp workers as will be needed until permanent staff can be hired. Even if there are things that only people who have been doing for a while can do, there must be some part of your job that can be temporarily done by them.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:07 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Ugh. I've been in this situation. At one point , when I found out my colleague wasn't returning (she had taken off a few days) , I just burst out crying right there in the office in front of everyone. It felt like the world just came crashing down on my head and I felt so overwhelmed .
I did tell my supervisor how I could t imagine doing it all and then spend time to train someone new in top of that.
I obviously survived to tell the tale. But I do remember that it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded.

I had the exact same experience! I was terrified to manage my job, her old responsibilities and training someone. Couple that with the fact that I had just had a baby and cut down my hours significantly. I remember being so so scared and in the end, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Hatzlacha! And definitely ask for a raise

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
Hugs!

Ask for a raise!

I can't see them giving me one. They are very stingy in their raises, and I recently got one after some serious pushing.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:21 am
thunderstorm wrote:

Yeah, that's the worst part. Having to train someone in afterwards. It's so draining and I've done it too many times in a short while to have any energy or patience left for that.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:25 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
the extra work and the training is temporary, but a raise stemming from this could be permanent. Smile Sounds like a great opportunity to spend some time making a (VERY LONG) list of all of your responsibilities, a separate list of all of hers (that you're doing temporarily and will be training her replacement to do), and be strong and ask for a raise. If they balk, a temporary raise is reasonable as your extra work will be temporary but then make a date to meet again in the future to discuss again (yearly review?)

My last overwhelming full time job was in 1999--- I used to leave a huge typed to do list for the next day on my desk so my boss could always see how I was spending my time--- and it helped me, too, to have the to do list staring me in the face so I could prioritize. They truly appreciated me because they realized how much I did.

I recently got a raise after quite some haggling and pushing.
I can't see them ever giving me one. It's a large organization, and they have the attitude that if you don't like the pay you can leave. (Yeah, no wonder there's so much turnover) That makes it very difficult to get a raise because they don't value the workers.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Can you request a training bonus? My office does that.

That's an interesting idea, and something that they'd possibly grant... no idea though how much to ask for.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:29 am
imasoftov wrote:
and as many temp workers as will be needed until permanent staff can be hired. Even if there are things that only people who have been doing for a while can do, there must be some part of your job that can be temporarily done by them.

I can only dream of that.
Like I said, they have the attitude of "if you're not happy with the pay etc. then you can leave." To them this request would be outrageous.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
I can only dream of that.
Like I said, they have the attitude of "if you're not happy with the pay etc. then you can leave." To them this request would be outrageous.

In the exact same situation and it absolutely sucks!!! I’ve asked to be compensated for doing the work of two, until we find a replacement, but I didn’t get it. My boss said that I’m supposed to absorb the work of both for the interim.

Not that a raise or compensation would make the job any easier but at least I’d feel appreciated and be compensated. But no. He thinks otherwise. Less money for me- more for him and his family. I’ve lately been thinking of starting something on my own and see how that goes but it’s difficult to find the time and energy when my work is so stressful.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 9:25 pm
This reminds me of yeled vyalda days ... Big company, large turnaround, no incentive to keep workers, raises unheard of etc.. yada yada

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
This reminds me of yeled vyalda days ... Big company, large turnaround, no incentive to keep workers, raises unheard of etc.. yada yada

Well you're pretty close.
It's just awful.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:16 pm
One thing they will spend money on and try to keep as best they can are the therapists.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:55 am
amother wrote:
Well you're pretty close.
It's just awful.

If I may ask, what's keeping you there? I recall that most staff only make around 30k or a little less. Hard to live on that and most places will pay more

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:51 pm
Op here.
Colleague left. I'm drowning in work. No additional compensation or bonus. I am too burnt out to ask for one and be told no.

People keep asking me for stuff, and I'm just not getting to all of it. And really, I'm doing the work of two people so.. it's no wonder.

Help Crying . I need some hugs and sympathy.
I'm feeling so unappreciated, burnt out and overworked.
Some kindness please.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics