Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do you LIKE about living in NY/Brooklyn/Flatbush?
Previous  1  2

leah233

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:11 am
Positive things that I still miss now more than twenty years after getting married and moving to Lakewood

(1) The ease of getting everywhere quickly by foot.

(2)The tremendous variety of (frum) people living in my area made it easy for me to find like minded individuals but on the other hand not have to deal with any real peer pressure.. It also provides much more chinuch and schooling options for children. (I currently have a son in a mesivta in Flatbush becuase there is nowhere in Lakewood that would be good for him)

(3)The greater availability of jobs without outrageous commutes

(4)There was a certain energy that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it comes from being a walking rather than driving city.

(5) I know this one is very odd but I still miss the Bikur Cholim blood drives (and the ability to walk into Maimonides at anytime to donate platelets or blood to Bikur Cholim)

(6) The NY Aquarium, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park and the Prospect Park zoo

married2020

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:18 am
My family lives here, huge selection of groceries, shuls.. my kids school, our rav lives here..

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:52 am
I grew up in Brooklyn. Although I'm happier where I am now, I miss:

The subway - the rhythm, the feeling, the lights whizzing by, always knowing where I am, and how to get where I'm going.

The gashmiyut convenience - slews of restaurants and grocery stores and pharmacies... Really everything you could want, 100 times over.

The people - I always gravitated toward the homeless man, the hard-working migrant, the guy who was just down in his luck, the musician looking for a lucky break, the pretty girl who risks death or worse to get her basic needs, the guy who couldn't get free of the demon which was tormenting him.

I never had much more to give them than conversation, but I frequently felt that I received more than I gave: these are the true heroes of NYC. The people whom struggle, and fall, and get up again and keep fighting.

Once you become homeless in NYC, it's very hard to climb out of that pit: no one will hire you, the shelters aren't safe, the streets are cold and the warmer subways are ridden with gangs.

These were my friends. Even though I've left the city for good, I can't help but think of all the people I left behind.

Emotional

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:37 am
leah233 wrote:
Positive things that I still miss now more than twenty years after getting married and moving to Lakewood

(1) The ease of getting everywhere quickly by foot.

(2)The tremendous variety of (frum) people living in my area made it easy for me to find like minded individuals but on the other hand not have to deal with any real peer pressure.. It also provides much more chinuch and schooling options for children. (I currently have a son in a mesivta in Flatbush becuase there is nowhere in Lakewood that would be good for him)

(3)The greater availability of jobs without outrageous commutes

(4)There was a certain energy that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it comes from being a walking rather than driving city.

(5) I know this one is very odd but I still miss the Bikur Cholim blood drives (and the ability to walk into Maimonides at anytime to donate platelets or blood to Bikur Cholim)

(6) The NY Aquarium, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park and the Prospect Park zoo

Love this post.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:26 am
It’s home! Nothing more, nothing less.

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:39 pm
I love Boro Park. The people are like nowhere else in the world.

They will not badmouth other towns, countries, cultures or groups of Jews.

Emotional

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:43 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:

Excellent point!

Zehava

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:05 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:

Ha!

mybusyima

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:00 pm
I love the convenience and the diversity. There is no "one type". Everyone can find their niche. On one block you can have yeshivish, jpf, young Israel type, ashkenaz, sfardi, heimish, lubavitch, American, Israeli, Russian, European... Lol, I'm thinking of my own block, which is very diverse. Not sure if all blocks are like this though.

mybusyima

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:04 pm
I also like that it's not such a young crowd nowadays. Majority of Flatbush at this point are in their high 30s and above, which makes the competition and peer pressure somewhat less.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:07 pm
mybusyima wrote:
I love the convenience and the diversity. There is no "one type". Everyone can find their niche. On one block you can have yeshivish, jpf, young Israel type, ashkenaz, sfardi, heimish, lubavitch, American, Israeli, Russian, European... Lol, I'm thinking of my own block, which is very diverse. Not sure if all blocks are like this though.

My block is just like this, too.

hotzenplotz

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:50 am
smileforamile wrote:
There are so many threads and conversations that go on about how bad Flatbush is. I always said that I come from the place that is at the bottom of the totem pole. Everyone looks down on us and bashes us constantly -- more than the location, they bash the people.

So I wanted to ask those of you who are here, what do you like about it? Please don't write "nothing."

People have a need to feel superior.
Now that Brooklyn wont be such a big dot on the frum map,
the out of towners and Monsey/Lakewood people will need someone else to bash!!
LAUGH! LAUGH! LAUGH!
They were the angels sent from shamayim while we were the human beings with the monstrous yetzer haras!
LAUGH! LAUGH! LAUGH!

Emotional

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:57 am
hotzenplotz wrote:
People have a need to feel superior.
Now that Brooklyn wont be such a big dot on the frum map,
the out of towners and Monsey/Lakewood people will need someone else to bash!!
LAUGH! LAUGH! LAUGH!
They were the angels sent from shamayim while we were the human beings with the monstrous yetzer haras!
LAUGH! LAUGH! LAUGH!

Not sure what you mean, but it's usually Lakewood that's on the receiving end of the most bashing here...

sima

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:30 am
I love love love the convenience of being so close to the city via public transportation. I work in the city so this is crucial for me. I would NEVER move to the burbs, or NJ, or wtvr simply because I do not want to have to drive into NYC for work or take a bus. Been there done that...... If you miss the bus in NJ you're stuck and have to wait an hour or a half an hour until the next one comes. As much as the subway has it's "craziness" and delays there's always a way around it or there's another train that will take me where I need to go. I like the convenience of lots of kosher stores and restaurants around. I like people around me Jewish, non Jewish, etc. busy life. I don't like the isolated feeling of some communities, the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere.........But I'm just a total city freak...... so just my 2cents.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:34 am
sima wrote:
I love love love the convenience of being so close to the city via public transportation. I work in the city so this is crucial for me. I would NEVER move to the burbs, or NJ, or wtvr simply because I do not want to have to drive into NYC for work or take a bus. Been there done that...... If you miss the bus in NJ you're stuck and have to wait an hour or a half an hour until the next one comes. As much as the subway has it's "craziness" and delays there's always a way around it or there's another train that will take me where I need to go. I like the convenience of lots of kosher stores and restaurants around. I like people around me Jewish, non Jewish, etc. busy life. I don't like the isolated feeling of some communities, the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere.........But I'm just a total city freak...... so just my 2cents.

I feel the same and Ive heard from people who left Brooklyn to live in Monsey. They hate having to be in the car doing errands all day, even though the parking is easier.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:39 am
Zehava wrote:
Ha!

You had to be cynical. Huh?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics