Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My Baby Wears Cloth Diapers. AMA.
1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:28 am
Go ahead Very Happy

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:30 am
Why do you use cloth diapers?
How do you deal with the washing?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:34 am
Lots of reasons; at the moment the primary reason is because it's better for my baby's skin (my baby gets very irritated by disposable diapers; I've tried every brand already)

It also helps my baby gain self awareness and will help for toilet training later.

It's much better for the environment.

It saves money.

They're super cute.

My baby can't take them off since it's snapped and not velcro.

I use flushable or disposable liners so all I have to do is either flush or throw out the liner, rinse off any poop that somehow didn't end up on the liner and throw into my diaper laundry bag. Once a week I wash them all on heavy duty with an extra rinse cycle then throw in the dryer on heavy duty as well.

ETA any liner that's still "clean" gets washed and reused

icebreaker

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:34 am
I loooooved cloth diapers. I only used them with my youngest and only for like two months (lol). Then I went back to work and ex-dh was home and he used disposables and I just never used cloth again.

How many cloth diapers do you have?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:35 am
I haven't counted recently but around 30-40

InnerMe

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:45 am
Does it leak more often than regular pampers?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:49 am
In the beginning when I was using the wrong type of inserts I was having leaks but now I very rarely have leaks. I never ever have blowouts which I did have with disposables. I only have leaks now if I leave my baby for a long time in the same diaper which I shouldn't be doing anyhow. It leaks differently than disposable diapers in the sense that it's just a bit of moisture coming through the cloth; I don't end up with any stained clothes anymore.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:51 am
Another cloth diapering another here. BH number four is in cloth, just like her siblings were. I don't use liners but I use disposables occasionally.

Leaks are far less common with cloth than disposable, IME.

But I use disposables at night because my babies seem to get rashes from overnight cloth diapers, never figured out a solution to that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
Another cloth diapering another here. BH number four is in cloth, just like her siblings were. I don't use liners but I use disposables occasionally.

Leaks are far less common with cloth than disposable, IME.

But I use disposables at night because my babies seem to get rashes from overnight cloth diapers, never figured out a solution to that.

Which cloth do you use for overnight? Fitted diapers without a stay dry liner often irritate kids with a wetness sensitivity. I use flap style AIO diapers for overnight with a sewn in stay dry layer. I didn't make myself stay dry liners yet but I'm hoping to make it to Walmart after the Holidays to get some clearance fleece blankets to cut up.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:56 am
where did you buy them? from what age to what age did you use them. is it worth it if I only use them while baby is nursing exclusively? never heard about the liners, that seems a lot more manageable, are the liners breathable?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:00 am
I bought some off Aliexpress and some off Facebook co-ops. My overnights were purchased through a co-op. If you plan on reselling when you're done or reusing for later kids it is worth it. If you're planning on using for the first few months only you can get newborn sized diapers which will give you a better fit until 16 pounds.

Disposable liners are breathable although how breathable depends on what you're using. I use viscose liners for my flushable liners although I plan to switch to bamboo and also recycle amazon brand wipes that were mostly clean (I wash them first of course). Some people also use cut up shmattes or select a size paper towels.

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:23 am
Do you use reusable pads for yourself?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:25 am
What do you use when you're out of the house?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:26 am
happy12 wrote:
Do you use reusable pads for yourself?

Personally prefer menstrual cup but for postpartum I did use some. I also used disposable depending on situation (disposable pads are easier for on the go)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:26 am
Rutabaga wrote:
What do you use when you're out of the house?

My babysitter only allows disposable so for there it's disposables only. Otherwise I bring along cloth and use wet bags.

ggdm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:07 pm
What do you do when you are away on holiday? (for longer time, say a week or two)

At what temperature do you wash? How often? Does it stink to have the laundry in your room before washing? Do you have a dryer?

Do you use disposable baby wipes or what else?

Did you start doing it from your first child from day one or is it something you started later?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:52 pm
I have enough diapers for a few days between loads. Last time I went away I did two loads by the vacation home. I do bring along disposables though in case I run out of clean diapers.

I wash the diapers on heavy duty with hot water. It does not stink as I flush the liners down the toilet right away. I also have breathable wet bags which allows for proper air flow so it doesn't build up a smell. Yes I have a dryer which makes things much easier.

I use both disposable and cloth wipes. I use whichever I'm in the mood of using at the moment.

I started doing cloth part time with my second child and used it more and more with time. It's been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:22 pm
Is there a difference between disposable liners and using a full disposable diaper?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:32 pm
There's a huge difference. A disposable liner is a thin piece of biodegradable material that contains no harsh chemicals and is extremely unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. Most can also be flushed down the toilet.

It's also cheaper than disposables at just $5 for 100. If you buy fleece blankets on clearance to cut up it'll only cost you $0.50 for 30 liners. Some people also use select a size paper towels as liners.

Of course sometimes despite the liner I end up having to rinse the diaper off before washing but it's not hard. It takes like 30 seconds.

I realize I forgot to mention that as long as the baby is exclusively breastfeeding you don't need liners of any kind as the washing machine can handle the diapers as is.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:47 pm
Interesting to learn about.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics