Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm a fulltime working mom AMA

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:52 pm
Lol I'm jumping on the bandwagon Very Happy Very Happy

mom!

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:56 pm
How do you manage?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:57 pm
that was my question, specifically in terms of kids doctor appointments, therapy appointments, days off from school...

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:01 pm
daniels mom wrote:
How do you manage?

In what ways?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:26 pm
Including commuting, how many hours are you out of the house?
When do you make shabbos and yomtov/shop/do your housekeeping/prepare simchas etc etc?
What happens when the kids are on vacation?

I know in many places it's normal for mothers to work full time, but where I live, even working part time isn't so usual. Most are SAHMs or work very part time. Always wondered how it works.

wow

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:37 pm
How many children do you have?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:06 pm
How many children do you have and how old are they?

Major question: when do you clean the house? (And do laundry or whatever).

Also, do you ever have any downtime?

Do you like your job?

Are you happy you are working or do you wish you could really stay home?

Emotional

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
How many children do you have and how old are they?

I think this is the bottom line. There's a big difference between a mom of one 8-month-old baby who works full time, and a mom of four or more kids of all different ages who works full time.

Edited to add: plus the temperament and personalities of the children also come into play. My ADHD, AS special needs son can almost be a full-time job himself Cool

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:45 pm
I'll try to answer all of the questions in one post. My kids ages range between 2.5 and 10 I have 4. Appointments are made either after work or being pushed off, this together with vacation and sick kids is the worst part about working. Sometimes I take them with to work sometimes my mom watches them and yes sometimes I send them to school if he is 99% recovered. Washing is being done mostly on Sunday but with my size family it's being done in middle of the week too (clothing often stay more then 24 hr in washing machine before putting in dryer) cooking is being done when I'm very lucky on Sunday or the night before and if not it's after work when I step in with my kids. I like the challenge of going to work I like the job but it's stressful. Honestly (and I'm totally opening myself up here) I have very low self confidence and was bullied alot in school. This is the only thing that when people ask me with admiring huge eyes wow you work a whole day? I feel I'm worth something.

Whew that was opening a whole can of worms LOL

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:50 pm
What do you make for dinner? What is your work? When do you go grocery shopping? Are you extremely organized?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
What do you make for dinner? What is your work? When do you go grocery shopping? Are you extremely organized?

I love love cooking it's my real passion unfortunately there is no way for me to go down that path where I live . I love all those exotic food but DH and kids don't so it's really plain boring food that I cook. I prefer not to say in what I work but I'm an administrative assistant. Grocery shopping is being done by DH for shabbes and I then give him things I need extra to fill the pantry

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:08 pm
Is your children's schedule the same as yours? If not, how do you manage childcare until you come home? (I'm guessing you live in an area that has longer school hours to accommodate working parents?) And what do you do with your two year old ?

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:13 pm
Emotional wrote:
I think this is the bottom line. There's a big difference between a mom of one 8-month-old baby who works full time, and a mom of four or more kids of all different ages who works full time.

Edited to add: plus the temperament and personalities of the children also come into play. My ADHD, AS special needs son can almost be a full-time job himself Cool

I work more than full time and have a few kids from 4-17.

The bottom line is that it takes two full time incomes to survive for most people. How do we do it? When you have no choice, you do what you have to do and work it out however you can. Yes its hard. It is what it is.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
Is your children's schedule the same as yours? If not, how do you manage childcare until you come home? (I'm guessing you live in an area that has longer school hours to accommodate working parents?) And what do you do with your two year old ?

I used to work longer but cut my hours it should fit the kid's. I finish work and pick them up from school. My 2 year old is by a babysitter

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:19 pm
watergirl wrote:
I work more than full time and have a few kids from 4-17.

The bottom line is that it takes two full time incomes to survive for most people. How do we do it? When you have no choice, you do what you have to do and work it out however you can. Yes its hard. It is what it is.

Thank you.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
I love love cooking it's my real passion unfortunately there is no way for me to go down that path where I live . I love all those exotic food but DH and kids don't so it's really plain boring food that I cook. I prefer not to say in what I work but I'm an administrative assistant. Grocery shopping is being done by DH for shabbes and I then give him things I need extra to fill the pantry

Oh wow!
My self esteem is also really down low, and I work f/t as an assistant (not administrative.. but similar..) which definitely helps my self esteem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics