Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need dog for college experiment
1  2  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:21 pm
I'm taking an online psychology course on Excelsior, and my assignment this week is to do an experiment which involves teaching a dog to fetch, then writing up the experiment and conclusion, and writing an essay in relation to that (writing exactly what happened.. etc.) and the material we learned this week.

Problem is I don't have a dog. Neither do any of my family or friends.
Sent a message to my Instructor but have not received a response as of yet.

I'm thinking that even if I locate a dog, wouldn't the dog need time to form a relationship? Would it cooperate with me right away? Plus, I'm a little afraid of dogs.. so between me and the dog I don't know if this could work.

Any ideas Imas.. how I can do this?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:24 pm
There are therapy dogs that come to your house for a fee. But I'm assuming they are already trained to fetch.... Which brings to my next thought. Wouldnt most dogs be trained to fetch? How would the assignment work. Hmmm.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:29 pm
Maybe you have dogs in an animal shelter that have not been trained to fetch and you can offer to volunteer a few days and do your study then.

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:30 pm
Go to your local shelter and offer to play with one of their dogs for a few hours?

I'm sure they'd appreciate a little volunteer work, and you can find an untrained dog to work with. Dog is happy, shelter is happy, you're happy (though if you're actually afraid of dogs, maybe bring in a dog-loving friend to do the training session, and you can observe the process and write it up for your report.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
There are therapy dogs that come to your house for a fee. But I'm assuming they are already trained to fetch.... Which brings to my next thought. Wouldnt most dogs be trained to fetch? How would the assignment work. Hmmm.

Right. Weird.. no?
They want us to teach the dog to fetch using specific techniques we learned in this model. So perhaps you can "reteach" a dog using different techniques? I'm so lost.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:46 pm
Rappel wrote:
Go to your local shelter and offer to play with one of their dogs for a few hours?

I'm sure they'd appreciate a little volunteer work, and you can find an untrained dog to work with. Dog is happy, shelter is happy, you're happy (though if you're actually afraid of dogs, maybe bring in a dog-loving friend to do the training session, and you can observe the process and write it up for your report.)

This might be a good idea. I'm kinda nervous, though.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:58 pm
Also could you just show up at a shelter? Don't they have specific times/events.., could they always use volunteers to simply help out there?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:57 pm
Try a squirrel

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:03 pm
I have a dog

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
I have a dog

And? Are you offering it?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
Try a squirrel

Interesting idea...not sure if my instructor will accept that.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
And? Are you offering it?

Do you live in NJ? Then sure can meet you tomorrow with dog. Hes very friendly and kind. Hes older. Idk if he even knows how to fetch and bring back. But he may know to run and get something lol would be interesting to see

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:05 pm
Where are you located?
It takes more than one session to teach a dog to fetch, you have to practice multiple times... how are you going to get it done on time for the paper? What if the dog wont learn the way you’re trying to train him/her?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:11 pm
Go to a local dog park at a busy hour (Sunday morning maybe) and just ask one of the owners if you can play fetch with their dog for a college experiment. I’m sure you’d find someone who would be fine with it.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:32 pm
This is super weird.

What if you, like many people, have a fear of dogs.

If it was me - I would just make the whole thing up.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
Where are you located?
It takes more than one session to teach a dog to fetch, you have to practice multiple times... how are you going to get it done on time for the paper? What if the dog wont learn the way you’re trying to train him/her?

Doesnt really take that long if it's a well behaved dog who knows some commands already.
If dog doesnt learn then that will be part of her paper I guess.

carrot

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
Try a squirrel

I don't know if you were trying to be funny or make a serious suggestion, but you have me laughing with this image and the offhand way you tossed it out. Thank you for that 😃

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
Also could you just show up at a shelter? Don't they have specific times/events.., could they always use volunteers to simply help out there?

Usually, yes, you can just show up and help out. There's often a minimum age limit for volunteers (16, 18), but I don't remember any other requirements. I've also never met a shelter who was so overstaffed that they didn't need someone to play with/walk one of their dogs.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:11 pm
Perhaps your assignment is really to understand the phsyicology about having a really Strange specific assignment and how you go about getting it done 😋

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:53 pm
My dog can't fetch. Wanna teach her? We tried. She's cute, but she's not too bright.

My Long Island beagle wants to meet you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics