Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
We are wealthy Bh. Ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3 11 12  13  14  Next

DVOM

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:59 pm
OK, just one more! (I can't help myself!)

If I let my mind wander to what I would do with money if I had any I have these silly fantasies about making grand gestures to help people. I would love to walk into a pizza store some night and pay for everyone's food. I know some of those people have no trouble affording their pizza, but maybe some of those families are like me. Maybe pizza is a very special and rare treat that they save up for, and maybe I could pay for their pizza and make their week. Or maybe I'd go to a grocery store and pick the ten most run down looking customers and tell the owner that I'd pay for their groceries. I'd really love to do something like that.

So... Have you ever done something nuts like this?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:57 pm
How many kids do you have?
Hold old are you and dH?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
We give to everyone who comes asking for money. Sometimes more sometimes less, depending on the case and depending on the income of that timing. There are also some that we give without them asking, family or friends that we know need it. Some cases touch my heart more than others.

That is beautiful. We are in a super hard financial situation right now. We are busy paying up credit cards and other debths, that we have super little money for regular grocery shopping. I have been buying a few times already on my friends credit card as I wasn't able to shop for Shannon's otherwise. If you have some extra maaser these days, it can really help me. But I totally get if you don't want to as you don't know me. But I can give you references. I guess let me know either way.
TX
And may hashem continue blessing you with only good

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:58 pm
Zehava wrote:
Lol take a stroll down the avenue where I live
And the fact that you’re asking about tuition is telling. Tuition here costs less per child per month than some people spend on a single outfit.

So you are obviously referring to a specific chassidish community. I honestly still don't understand how you make the tuition work, and would love to know , cause I'm considering sending my child to a private school, but am very scared off by tuition.

simba

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
That is beautiful. We are in a super hard financial situation right now. We are busy paying up credit cards and other debths, that we have super little money for regular grocery shopping. I have been buying a few times already on my friends credit card as I wasn't able to shop for Shannon's otherwise. If you have some extra maaser these days, it can really help me. But I totally get if you don't want to as you don't know me. But I can give you references. I guess let me know either way.
TX
And may hashem continue blessing you with only good

I am not OP yet, Please PM me. I will give you something. Alternatively, can you post name of supermarket I can put some money on account for you there. Then I don’t need to know your SN.

Zehava

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
So you are obviously referring to a specific chassidish community. I honestly still don't understand how you make the tuition work, and would love to know , cause I'm considering sending my child to a private school, but am very scared off by tuition.

No I’m not. In fact it’s not just the chassidish community. Many big Frum communities I know are like this. Take a walk down 13th ave or ave J or Lee ave and check out the prices.
You still don’t understand how I make tuition work if it costs less per month than one outfit in one of those stores?

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:

Tuition at chassidish schools and chedarim are half or a quarter of what non-chassidish schools charge.

Zehava

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:08 pm
Maya wrote:
Tuition at chassidish schools and chedarim are half or a quarter of what non-chassidish schools charge.

A lot less than that

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 5:14 pm
Zehava wrote:
A lot less than that

Not true!!! I pay as much as my neighbor that sends to a none chasidishe cheder! Same with day camp.

Yes, there are expensive clothings store in Brooklyn. There are some in Lakewood as well. You know who shops there? 1/20th of the people in the community. Some people are well off and can afford it. I don’t see anything wrong with it. The sAme way there are expensive stores there are cheap stores and some in between as well.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:55 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Not true!!! I pay as much as my neighbor that sends to a none chasidishe cheder! Same with day camp.

So you pay about $1,250 per month per child for elementary school, and about $2,000 for high school? And $3,000 per child for day camp? Being as familiar as I am with chassidish schools, I find that hard to believe.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:59 pm
Maya wrote:
So you pay about $1,250 per month per child for elementary school, and about $2,000 for high school? And $3,000 per child for day camp? Being as familiar as I am with chassidish schools, I find that hard to believe.

Not all non Chassidish schools are MO, believe it or not. A regular yeshiva costs around six to eight thousand dollars a year, I believe.

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:03 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Not all non Chassidish schools are MO, believe it or not. A regular yeshiva costs around six to eight thousand dollars a month, I believe.

You mean a year, I’m assuming.

Chassidish tuition can be half of that.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:05 pm
Maya wrote:

Sorry, I'm really tired, yes a year!

I know Chassidish tuition is half of that. Or even less.

Zehava

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:17 pm
Maya wrote:

250 per child per month roughly but basically the administration decides according to the family’s income and how many kids are enrolled.
Like I said, about the price of a moschino T-shirt.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
Go ahead.

Have you reached a point where theres nothing next on the list? Meaning, you have everything you've wished for ?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:21 pm
Zehava wrote:
250 per child per month roughly but basically the administration decides according to the family’s income and how many kids are enrolled.
Like I said, about the price of a moschino T-shirt.

A Moschino tee is $100...last I checked....

Maya, I said none chasidish, not mo- mo pays the highest tuition of all.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:33 pm
simba wrote:
I am not OP yet, Please PM me. I will give you something. Alternatively, can you post name of supermarket I can put some money on account for you there. Then I don’t need to know your SN.

TX that is so sweet of you. I will pm you. What does SN stand for?

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:01 pm
Zehava wrote:
I keep asking myself the same question
Stores that charge up to 600$ for a dress (for kids. The ladies ones can go above 2,000) are always full of people.
My guess is it’s a big priority for them and I see that the wannabe’s need it more and make it more visible. Like they’d buy moschino tees for their kids with the logo all over it so everyone can see.

During our first few years living in the USA, my son (who was 6 at the time) came home from school one day and asked: “Mom, how come my friends all wear sweaters that say GAP in big letters, right here (pointing to his chest), and you buy me GAP sweaters that have the logo in small letters right there (pointing to the bottom of his sleeve)?
I answered: “ My dear son, I want you to remember what I am about to tell you now because I am only going to say it once: People who have a lot on the inside do not need to advertise it on the outside”.
My son listened carefully. It has been many years later, and he has never asked me about designer clothing again.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:08 pm
flowerpower wrote:
A Moschino tee is $100...last I checked....

Maya, I said none chasidish, not mo- mo pays the highest tuition of all.

Oh check again!

https://www.saksfifthavenue.co.....18048

Zehava

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:25 pm
A_Mother_First wrote:
During our first few years living in the USA, my son (who was 6 at the time) came home from school one day and asked: “Mom, how come my friends all wear sweaters that say GAP in big letters, right here (pointing to his chest), and you buy me GAP sweaters that have the logo in small letters right there (pointing to the bottom of his sleeve)?
I answered: “ My dear son, I want you to remember what I am about to tell you now because I am only going to say it once: People who have a lot on the inside do not need to advertise it on the outside”.
My son listened carefully. It has been many years later, and he has never asked me about designer clothing again.

Wow! So beautifully expressed I love it! Definitely stealing that line
Page 12 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 11 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics