Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
I made aliyah, ask me anything :)
Previous  1  2

Savta S

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:03 pm
trying hard wrote:
First, of all, thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it!

I think that we would be sending to the Chareidi educational system, but I will double check that. And that's really interesting about the 40 in the class - I will look into that as well. I was told by a friend of mine that we would have to pay for the tutoring...but maybe she did that in addition to what the school provided.

In terms of your son, thank you for your honesty.And I'm so glad to hear that things turned out well Smile I truly have full faith that our son can be very successful too. I am just so worried that if we pull the rug out from him at this particular point, it can have lifelong reprecussions and I feel that it's not fair to him. His self esteem was really knocked and we put so much into building him back up. He's worked really hard too. My husband is so desperate to go asap and I don't think he truly understands what an emtional adjustment it is on the kids...if things were really solid it would be one story, but with him just getting back on track, I feel like we're playing with fire. So I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

In terms of the lessons in Ivrit, it's not funded by the school, but by Misrad Haklita. Discuss it w/the school in advance, as they may look to divert your funds elsewhere. Get the info from MH to know exactly what you're getting & make sure to demand it in the school, or let them know you'll go elsewhere. The school has an interest in keeping you as they get more funding.

Regarding your son, I would start now talking to him about it. Let him know what a great idealistic value it is, and how the entire family would benefit. Let him know there'd be difficulties, & discuss the kind of problems that may be presented. Have him share in decision making & planning, so he doesn't feel the rug pulled out from under him.

trying hard

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:28 pm
Savta S wrote:
In terms of the lessons in Ivrit, it's not funded by the school, but by Misrad Haklita. Discuss it w/the school in advance, as they may look to divert your funds elsewhere. Get the info from MH to know exactly what you're getting & make sure to demand it in the school, or let them know you'll go elsewhere. The school has an interest in keeping you as they get more funding.

Regarding your son, I would start now talking to him about it. Let him know what a great idealistic value it is, and how the entire family would benefit. Let him know there'd be difficulties, & discuss the kind of problems that may be presented. Have him share in decision making & planning, so he doesn't feel the rug pulled out from under him.

Thank you so much for that information. It's really helpful.
I would like to do that - but it's kind of complicated. Honestly, I don't know if it's the best thing for the family (at this time), and I don't want to formally introduce it until I am sure about that. I will try to put it out there as a more general idea and feel him out. In my heart, I don't think he will be happier to be away from his school, friends and family.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:52 pm
Savta S wrote:
It's a requirement only for medical school (the program encompasses medical, dental & research). There is also an age requirement which escapes me, maybe 20. I've gone through this with one of mine, that's how I know. The only ones exempt from this are the Beduin.

And as I stated above it's either army or Sherut Le'umi.
Savta S, this is factually not true. Army service is not a prerequisite for being admitted into medical school. Im not sure where you got this information.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:54 pm
invisiblecircus wrote:
Where are you originally from?

How often (if ever) do you go back there?

Do you miss anything about the place you grew up?
Im from the tri state area in america.
I have not been back in a while as all of my immediate family has made aliyah so no real reason to go back.
I miss my childhood home and community, but beyond that, nothing really.

Savta S

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:20 pm
trying hard wrote:
Thank you so much for that information. It's really helpful.
I would like to do that - but it's kind of complicated. Honestly, I don't know if it's the best thing for the family (at this time), and I don't want to formally introduce it until I am sure about that. I will try to put it out there as a more general idea and feel him out. In my heart, I don't think he will be happier to be away from his school, friends and family.

Discuss it with him. Hear him out. He might surprise you in so many ways. And today it's so much easier than 30+ years ago. He can not only speak with his friends, they can video all the time, for free. The friends can keep him up to date in English, as he can teach them Ivrit, as he is learning it.

Yes, it's always complicated. Parents not supportive of the decision, while the other parents are against, belligerent and attempt to sabotage. Not planning well enough in terms of parnasa and /or not going with enough $. Leaving behind elderly, dear grandparents that you think you'll never see again. Yes we went through all of that, and more. What you won't have to deal with is a drastically lower standard of living (as in over 30 years ago), that doesn't exist anymore. Just cultural differences.

Savta S

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:22 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Savta S, this is factually not true. Army service is not a prerequisite for being admitted into medical school. Im not sure where you got this information.

Army service or Sherut Leumi. Been there. I've got experience. This refers to the medical school programs for Israelis, not the separate ones for foreigners.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:28 am
Savta S wrote:
Army service or Sherut Leumi. Been there. I've got experience. This refers to the medical school programs for Israelis, not the separate ones for foreigners.

Is this true at all the medical schools? What about Israeli Arabs - do they need to do sherut leumi too since they don't go to the army? Do religious girls have to do 2 years of sherut or is 1 enough? What about (Jewish) men with medical exemptions from the army -do they also have to do sherut leumi? It's odd that Bedouin are totally exempt since many of them do in fact go to the army (typically serve as trackers along the borders)

Savta S

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:02 am
etky wrote:
Is this true at all the medical schools? What about Israeli Arabs - do they need to do sherut leumi too since they don't go to the army? Do religious girls have to do 2 years of sherut or is 1 enough? What about (Jewish) men with medical exemptions from the army -do they also have to do sherut leumi? It's odd that Bedouin are totally exempt since many of them do in fact go to the army (typically serve as trackers along the borders)

I'm not a gov't information booth, I can't answer all of the above. I assume the same regulations apply to the Arabs as do to the Bedouin.

One year of SL is sufficient to be eligible for medical school. I don't know how medical exemptions affect eligibility.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:19 am
Savta S wrote:
Possibly for someone who has grown up and gone through the entire system, but for an olah?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:21 am
Savta S wrote:
I'm not a gov't information booth, I can't answer all of the above. I assume the same regulations apply to the Arabs as do to the Bedouin.

One year of SL is sufficient to be eligible for medical school. I don't know how medical exemptions affect eligibility.
Savta S, arabs, as a whole, do not do army.

Savta S

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Savta S, arabs, as a whole, do not do army.

Correct, that's why I'm unsure of the requirements for them. And be aware that there is a quota system in place as well.

Last edited by Savta S on Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Savta S

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 4:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Possibly for someone who has grown up and gone through the entire system, but for an olah?

Yes

ora_43

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
My 12th grade daughter wants to make aliyah. Do you think it's better to go right away, or wait till she has her bachelor's? (She wants to become a doctor) Do you speak perfect hebrew? Do you feel as an immigrant like you are at a disadvantage economically, like you'd be better off if you'd been born there?

Not the OP (obv), but medical school is complicated.

It is very hard to be accepted to medical school in Israel. Very hard. There aren't enough places here. Most doctors I know studied overseas.

You don't need a bachelors to study medicine here, med school is a combined undergrad + grad degree (seven years total IIRC). So a bachelors would probably be a waste of time, if she's sure that medicine is what she wants.

EDIT to add: I was wrong, there are also a couple of 4-year programs here for people with a BSc in a topic close to medicine (biology, chemistry, etc). And a couple of overseas-student programs that seem to be built for student with a BSc.

Also, it would be very challenging to pay back American student loans with an Israeli salary. That's going to the most expensive school, only to work in one of the lower-paying systems...

She should ask Israeli doctors about this. If I remember, I'll ask a couple of my friends who studied medicine what they think.

No immigrant has perfect Hebrew, unless they came before age 10 (and often, not even then). You'll always have an accent. But it's possible to be 99% fluent, if you come young enough, don't have learning disorders, and work hard at it.

Being an immigrant has advantages and disadvantages, especially as an English speaker. Fluent English is a huge advantage in academics and an advantage in a lot of workplaces. OTOH, if you don't have strong Hebrew skills, that's a disadvantage, and not having business contacts is a big disadvantage (one that immigrants can eventually overcome, but you have to be sure to really work on networking).

dbw

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:12 pm
What are the great jobs you had? And did you need fluent Hebrew for all of them?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:38 am
dbw wrote:
What are the great jobs you had? And did you need fluent Hebrew for all of them?
Were you asking me? I have had mostly different types of office manager jobs. They were all based in english speaking offices but I needed hebrew for all of them, for the phone and the hebrew speaking people who came in to the offices.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions