Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I have lost 100+lbs and kept it off for 6 years AMA
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:16 am
I didn't want to derail the 'weigh over 300lb AMA' thread, so here is my own!

I began at a bit under 300lbs. I have now maintained a healthy weight for 5 years (took me about a year to lose the weight). I didn't do any surgery or fad dieting.

Ask away!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:31 am
What do you do? What does a typical day of food look like for you?

flmommy

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:36 am
Wow, mazal Tov. That’s a lot of weight in a year also want to know what you did IN DETAIL😘

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:15 am
Thanks for starting this thread. It's heaven sent because I'm deciding on what to do and asked Hashem for help, and this thread appears.

I need to lose 60 pounds. I'm done with fad diets. Would love to hear how you did it. Thanks!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:35 am
OP, how did you do it?

ladYdI

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:52 am
I also lost 100 lbs since I had a lap bAnd put in 10 years ago. Would definitely recommend it. AMA!

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:52 am
Hoping OP comes on to answer. Would love to hear how she did it.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:28 am
Ok, what's your secret?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 12:00 pm
DVOM wrote:
I didn't want to derail the 'weigh over 300lb AMA' thread, so here is my own!

I began at a bit under 300lbs. I have now maintained a healthy weight for 5 years (took me about a year to lose the weight). I didn't do any surgery or fad dieting.

Ask away!

That is amazing!!!!!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:34 pm
Also looking for answer. Many if not most of the people who've lost a lot of weight, who I know, put it back on.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:43 pm
Wow it's incredible to lose the weight plus keep it off! Kol hakavod and please tell us how!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:52 pm
how please??? I’m so desperate!

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:11 pm
Why dont you answer? We are all waiting.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:25 pm
b/c she has kids and she's probably busy with them Smile

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:52 pm
At least we know she's not busy eating all this time! Smile

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:20 pm
Hey guys, OP here

Sorry to make you all wait, it was a very busy day! Just finished goodnight hugs and kisses and readings... Time to chat!

So, seems like the question is how did I do it. The short answer is I joined Overeaters Anonymous (OA) which works on an addictions model for disordered eating. The basic principle is that I'm a food addict. I have a sponsor who helps me create a food plan that works for me. I talk to her almost every day and I study and (try to) practice the 12 steps of OA, which is very similar to the AA (alcoholics anonymous) 12 steps. My food plan has three meals a day that I weigh and measure. I don't eat any sugar or flour and very limited fat. I also don't eat potatoes or sweet potatoes. I used to go to face-to-face meetings twice to three times a week. Now that's not doable for me anymore so I do phone meetings and online meetings. I have never in my life been able to maintain a healthy weight before I joined OA, so for me, this is a miracle. While the first few months of getting used to a whole new way of eating were really hard, and I craved and missed old familiar foods, I can say honestly that I don't find it difficult at all anymore.

I'm comfortable answering anything you'd like to know about all this, but I don't want to bore you with details you don't want. What else would you like to know?

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:28 pm
andrea levy wrote:
What do you do? What does a typical day of food look like for you?

A typical day of food:

I've been on a muffin kick so that's what I normally have for breakfast. My muffin recipe is: 3 tbs of oat bran, 4 oz of mashed up banana, 1 oz of raisins, 1 egg, a splash of water or seltzer and a dash of baking powder and baking soda. They're really yummy. I have 8 oz of milk with it, usually in many cups of tea.

Lunchtime is very hectic for me. Lately, I've been having 8 oz of plain greek yogurt with 2 tsp of ground walnuts, with a tablespoon of pure maple syrup.

Dinner varies. I can have four oz of protein (chicken, meat, fish, 2 oz cheese or 2 eggs) and 4 oz of grain (barley, oats, quinoa, brown rice, brown rice pasta), and 24 oz of veggies. I like making meat lasagna because it's really easy to freeze in pre-measured portions and I can just whip dinner out of the freezer. These past few weeks have been really hectic though so I've mostly been having eggs or grilled chicken, usually with brown rice pasta. I can also have another fruit with lunch or dinner. I usually save it for dinner. I went through a strawberry kick this summer, but now I'm more into apples.

I really don't like most veggies. I should be eating more of them, but I find them really unappetizing. I make and freeze a few types of vegetable soups in large portions, so that's usually what I eat for veggies. There have been months where I've loved leafy green salads, but not so much lately.

Last edited by DVOM on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:29 pm
Sebastian wrote:
b/c she has kids and she's probably busy with them Smile

Yup Very Happy

rgr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:29 pm
Do you bring your own food with you if you go away for Shabbos?
If you go away do you have your host heat up the food or do you just eat it cold?

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:35 pm
rgr wrote:
Do you bring your own food with you if you go away for Shabbos?
If you go away do you have your host heat up the food or do you just eat it cold?

I bring my food with me everywhere. If I feel comfortable with my hostess I ask to warm stuff up, if not, I will eat cold food.

Recently I went to a family event that was catered and was pleasantly surprised by how accommodating the caterer was. I called in advance and explained my dietary needs and he was able to make me a gluten and sugar-free meal. It was really nice not to have to pack up all my food.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics