Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need dog for college experiment
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:07 am
It's Excelcior. Enough said. Trust me, everyone else is making it up.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:41 am
What a ridiculous assignment.

Whomever assigned this did not think through the logistics very well at all. What is your professor thinking?

It is worrisome that someone like this is in charge of granting other people college credits.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
It's Excelcior. Enough said. Trust me, everyone else is making it up.

It's a shame to think like that. I got my undergrad through excelsior, and in my class we didn't make up our assignments. Everyone took it very seriously.

If you don't want to take your learning seriously, what is the point of going for a degree? You're past high school. This learning is voluntary. Don't mess it up.

kalanit

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:41 am
I'd suggest visiting a dog park, if there are any in your area. I take my dog occasionally, it's the perfect place for playing fetch and not unusual for people to stop in even without their own dog, often it is people who are considering becoming dog owners or are just curious. You could probably ask a couple of dog owners if you could try your training experiment. Or, if you get there and you feel too fearful to do this, you could just stay outside the dog park and observe. You may be able to just watch someone doing some fetch training. Not the same as doing it yourself but it may be the next best thing.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:45 am
It depends on the breed of dog, too. My pug had no interest in fetching, whatsoever. My whippet is a sight hound, so she only wants to catch things and kill them. Terriers will only fetch if they happen to be in the mood, and they are stubborn!

If you're going to do this, you'll want to work with a retriever or herding breed. Hound breeds can sometimes be good. It will be important that you get a young dog, between 3 months to a year - old enough to learn, but not already conditioned.

Another thought, how would you know in advance if the dog didn't already know how to fetch from a previous owner? That's a problem if you are using a rescue dog.

My cat, on the other hand, is a champion fetcher, and will play for hours on end. LOL

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:12 am
Hi all,
Thanks for all the answers, advice, and offers to use you dogs!!
Thankfully, my instructor messaged me back this morning, and she said she's sorry that it was confusing but the exercise is to "imagine" doing that, and write the process of how that would work. Phew. That makes a lot more sense.
I had read it over several times to see if that's what it was asking, but each time I just came away with the impression that you had to actually do it.

FF, thanks for the dog lessons! So interesting about the different personalities of different breeds.

And regarding the poster who said "it's excelsior. enough said." I wonder why you say that. Are you referring to those who go through TTI or the like and then transfer the credits to Excelsior? I've done both and this is nothing compared to taking tests.

I'm finding it actually quite intense and informative, and somewhat overwhelming. We need to read approximately 30 pages of webtext every week which includes answering questions on every page about the material. Throughout there are also interactive videos and links to articles to flesh out the material. Then there's 2 discussion exercises in which each of them have to include an initial post and 2 posts answering classmates questions. They need to be substantial with references, and answer a specific question/or questions. Then there's usually one full essay that's due plus building up for the final course project witch is a lengthy research essay exploring a disorder and it's treatment.

So far I've been spending I'd say a minimum of 12 hours a week for this.

Anyways thanks for all the help! And to those who said "make it up." What?? I don't understand why this would even be suggested.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:16 am
Oh, and everyone in my class seems to be taking the work very seriously. I'm actually learning a lot from reading their discussion posts. As another poster said "why go to college if you want to make up stuff?"

Chava5226

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:13 pm
I have a dog you can use. Trains easily and doesn't know fetch. I'm in Brooklyn

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:34 pm
OP, glad you don't have to worry about the logistics anymore.

I did an online master's degree in speech (through a regular university that happened to have an online option for speech), and I faked several dumb assignments where the professor wanted us to do "experiments" like that and then write about our experiences. I was trying to be a wife, mom, and student and I was barely managing to juggle everything. Last thing I needed was some time suck "experiment." I needed to crank out those assignments and keep my head above water. I spoke to my classmates after we graduated (there's a private FB group for our cohort), and over a third admitted to faking those assignments. FTR, my Rav okayed it. Also FTR, I'm an excellent speech therapist and faking those assignments had zero effect on my ability to be competent at my job.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 5:45 am
amother wrote:

I did an online master's degree in speech (through a regular university that happened to have an online option for speech), and I faked several dumb assignments where the professor wanted us to do "experiments" like that and then write about our experience...FTR, my Rav okayed it.

That is disturbing.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:10 pm
DrMom wrote:
That is disturbing.

Agreed. Honestly your rav okaying it is the most disturbing part of the whole story. On what grounds did he say it was okay?!!?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics