Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Respect works both ways

southernbubby

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:18 am
A friend of ours is a school principal who was yelled at for an hour and a half last night for enforcing a rule that all day schools and yeshivas here have regarding non-vaccinated children during an outbreak. These people are as angry as hornets for being asked to keep their kids at home. A couple in Brooklyn is suing a school for not allowing their non-vaccinated children to attend.

I agree that they have a valid reason to be skeptical regarding vaccines but if they want that to be respected, why can't they respect those who don't want them around during an epidemic? If they want the right to choose, what about the rights of the other parents? To me the compromise would be to allow them to attend a school with the exception of times of epidemics and outbreaks.

I don't want this to turn into another 75 page discussion about the merits of each argument regarding the MMR. This is a post about mutual respect. How can we show mutual respect?

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:25 am
Tell the non-vaxxers to educate themselves. Like they keep telling us.

Do you know how smallpox got eradicated? By a combination of vaccines AND isolating those with smallpox.

There are two ways to fight these contagious diseases - vaccines or isolation. If you are not doing one, AT LEAST do the other. This is not about punishing those who don't vaccinate - it's about educating them to understand what it is they are actually doing.

I agree that isolation is not practical in the year 2018. But guess what? If they chose not to vaccinate, that's the route they have to take. That's the absolute fact.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:00 am
southernbubby wrote:
I don't want this to turn into another 75 page discussion about the merits of each argument regarding the MMR. This is a post about mutual respect. How can we show mutual respect?

First let's discuss whether we should.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:29 am
My immuno compromised child is still home, bc the other ones don't lock them home. Does anyone know if there are new cases in Bklyn or if I can send him back already to school?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:49 am
No respect should be awarded to selfish people that won't keep children home during an outbreak. Make your decisions, but do the right thing in such a time. At best, you're protecting your (unprotected) child. At worst, you wont be part of deliberatly putting people at risk.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 3:57 am
southernbubby wrote:
A friend of ours is a school principal who was yelled at for an hour and a half last night for enforcing a rule that all day schools and yeshivas here have regarding non-vaccinated children during an outbreak. These people are as angry as hornets for being asked to keep their kids at home. A couple in Brooklyn is suing a school for not allowing their non-vaccinated children to attend.

I agree that they have a valid reason to be skeptical regarding vaccines but if they want that to be respected, why can't they respect those who don't want them around during an epidemic? If they want the right to choose, what about the rights of the other parents? To me the compromise would be to allow them to attend a school with the exception of times of epidemics and outbreaks.

The ant-vaxxers can't, because that would require them to admit that they are putting others at risk with their actions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics