Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Side effect of the flu shot

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:25 am
I am taking my kids later to get the flu shot. Are there any side effects like sore arm or gettkng sick that comes along with it?

exaustedmom

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:37 am
2 of my kids complained that their arm was sore for a couple of days, others were fine

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:47 am
Just soreness around the injection for a day.
As always make sure the child is checked and well before the injection.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 12:30 pm
Getting the flu
Early term miscarriages

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
Getting the flu
Early term miscarriages

you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. same for early term miscarriages.

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 1:21 pm
my toddler was cranky for 2 days and complained of a sore arm for 1 day. No fever BH.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:31 pm
Google is your friend:

(Cut and pasted)

Do flu vaccines cause any side effects?
Soreness, redness, and/or swelling from the shot.
Headache.
Fever.
Nausea.
Muscle aches.

-----------------

These are all potential side effects, not side effects that will necessarily occur.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. same for early term miscarriages.

I didnt say you can get flu from the flu shot, I sadi it's a side effect. why or how ? Idk but many ppl can share my experience of getting the flu the years they got the shot (thinking they had a milder version cuz of the shot) and the years of not getting the shot , they stayed healthy. coincidence? hard to believe.

same with miscarriages. it has happened to too many ppl to ignore this happening. cant tell you how or why but it is a potential side effect.

chatz

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:10 pm
Anecdotally, people have gotten flu-like symptoms for a day or two after getting the flu shot. This has happened to people I personally know.

NYC made the flu shot mandatory for children 6 months- 5 years. Two of my kids are getting it next week and I'm really not happy about it. I would be ok with it if it had a better track record of working.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
[b]many ppl can share my experience of getting the flu the years they got the shot (thinking they had a milder version cuz of the shot)

My doctor attributes this to the efficacy of the vaccine. Sometimes the specific flu strain in the vaccine isn't the one that goes around, and that year folks with and without the flu vaccine are at risk of getting it. But for those who got the vaccine, their body puts up an earlier fight because they had the vaccine and the immune system recognizes it as a form of the flu, thereby resulting in a milder version compared with those who didn't get the shot.

The vaccine itself does not have the ability to give someone the flu. It does not contain the live virus. It may lead to mild flu like symptoms for a day or a few days as the body builds immunity to the virus.

May Hashem keep us all healthy!

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:06 pm
I get flu-like symptoms for 1-2 days after the shot.

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:17 pm
Pain in your arm, but icing it right away does help. I also found that holding it up above my head as much as possible shortened how long it was sore for.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 5:57 pm
My kids and I get it every year. Your arms will ache for a day or 2 afterward. Next year, I should try icing it.

erm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:17 pm
My kids got it in their thigh instead of the arm. It was a lot less sore than it was when they got it in the arm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics