Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to make an affordable wedding in LA?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 8:51 am
Is there such a thing as a 20k wedding?
Hall
Flowers
Photographer
Food/bar
Waiters
Tables chairs table settings
Mesader kedushin

How much is the mimimum to spend in each category and how do you cut costs?

Please recommend vendors!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:40 am
Sounds like it will be extremely tight. How many people do you anticipate having at this wedding? The best way to cut costs would be to keep the # of guests down.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:52 am
We did ours in 1998 at sportsmens lodge. Everything including clothing and photograhy and videography and band and inites etc was 17,000. 20 years ago so prices have gone up. We had 120 people so I would imagine your buget could handle 75 people or so.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:58 am
Mazel tov!
Some things people have done:
No bar
Buffet meal. Upside - minimal waitstaff and serving. Downside - I've heard you need more food.

Hatzlacha!

One other idea: I know LA is BIG. But is there a central place you can do it that a good number of y our guests would be able to come for chuppah and then come back for simchas chosson v'kallah with minimal inconvenience?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:06 am
There is a place called sepharadic temple on Wilshire which is cheaper that doing the wedding st a hall in a hotel.

simba

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
There is a place called sepharadic temple on Wilshire which is cheaper that doing the wedding st a hall in a hotel.

They used to have an exclusive caterer there that was quite expensive.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:42 am
This was many years ago but we got married at the Eretz cultural center. It was a beautiful wedding at a very reduced price. I don’t know if people still use it, but several of my friends got married there too.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:59 am
simba wrote:
They used to have an exclusive caterer there that was quite expensive.

Idk but people who have less money still make weddings there

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:39 pm
Robin Lerner as a party planner. Wish I knew her contact info but she does work at YAYOE so maybe call them? She worked with us to keep costs down.
She knew places downtown to get the flowers cheaper.
Other ideas:
Erez cultural center in the valley (don't go to a hotel!!)
Shop around for caterers.
Instead of lots of flowers people do candles in water (but check fire department requirements). Really nice effect, especially on a mirror.
No bar
Dress gemachim for whole family
Shop around for photography, music etc. it doesn't have to be "the name" person- no one will notice or care. I know people who used the one man band (forgot his name but he does a lot of events!) and it was really nice.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:00 pm
Ours was at a Chabad in the Valley. This was many years ago. (We're not Chabad.)

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:26 am
I've been out of LA for a decade, but Nessah was supposed to be a more affordable option back then. I don't know if it still is.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
I've been out of LA for a decade, but Nessah was supposed to be a more affordable option back then. I don't know if it still is.

It is still on. It is the Sephardic temple on Wilshire

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:38 pm
bars are expensive and in my opinion completely unnecessary so I would suggest skipping the bar

Leah613

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:25 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
We did ours in 1998 at sportsmens lodge. Everything including clothing and photograhy and videography and band and inites etc was 17,000. 20 years ago so prices have gone up. We had 120 people so I would imagine your buget could handle 75 people or so.

I also just priced out wedding in LA
went to three recently at sportsmans lodge its pretty impossible to do it under 25k, they wants minimum 4k for bar and before u brign in kosher caterers they used to have kosher kitchen but not longer there were issues apparently with keeping it kosher, still awesoem hall

Leah613

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
It is still on. It is the Sephardic temple on Wilshire

feel free to pm me
nessah offered me great deal but I prefer to keep it private, by then I had said to the chasans side we would make it in NY

Leah613

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:31 am
Mazaltov! my DD also got engaged erev YK and by Erev Sukkos the chasan wanted peace of mind with a hall booked so I tried around here knowing the answer wd be no, people told me u cant do it under 25k, we booked NY but then erev sukkos when I already said yes to ny one of the halls got back to me with a really good price and I decided, after this chasanah (which is still in NY) I want to help people in l.a. do a whole wedding for 20k. then I saw your post! look, u will have to cut some corners but I believe if its not more than 250 people, and you are willing to cut some corners eg the shmorg beign very simple it can be done, I know a terrific singer a young guy with a voice reaching the heavens he is only 800, he wd be with a one man bank like naftlai finkel for another 1500 (maybe u can get cheaper musician with the singer) I pricesd out soem cateres BTW make sure your daughter looks at the weddign dress gamach its truly got gorgeous dresses/ veils/ petticoats and jewelry and only $250 for cleaning (I heard its 1000 in NY) plz pm me lets brainstorm also I wanna help make takana type weddign package in LA...
amother wrote:
Is there such a thing as a 20k wedding?
Hall
Flowers
Photographer
Food/bar
Waiters
Tables chairs table settings
Mesader kedushin

How much is the mimimum to spend in each category and how do you cut costs?

Please recommend vendors!

Leah613

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:33 am
do u know abotu dress gamach for mother n sister of bride here? we gotta have specific color so need some place w chocies
amother wrote:
Robin Lerner as a party planner. Wish I knew her contact info but she does work at YAYOE so maybe call them? She worked with us to keep costs down.
She knew places downtown to get the flowers cheaper.
Other ideas:
Erez cultural center in the valley (don't go to a hotel!!)
Shop around for caterers.
Instead of lots of flowers people do candles in water (but check fire department requirements). Really nice effect, especially on a mirror.
No bar
Dress gemachim for whole family
Shop around for photography, music etc. it doesn't have to be "the name" person- no one will notice or care. I know people who used the one man band (forgot his name but he does a lot of events!) and it was really nice.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:07 pm
How much is for each item. Especially food per person.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics